2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 9:36 AM by Ted Smith

How do I export to 1920x1080p in .mov without losing quality?

thompsonlive1985

Hello i'm new so please forgive my ignorance if this is a dumb question. I have a Nikon P100 that takes 1080p videos and i have spent the last 3 hours trying to match the settings using adobe premerie elements 9 but either it doesnt work at all or makes the video 4:3 instead of 16:9. Here is the source file settings it says my videos taken from my camera are.

Source: .mov

1920x1080 (1.0), 29.97 fps, Progressive, 48000 Hz, Stero'

I want to edit videos and keep them as close to orginal settings as possible. Is there a way to do this in Premerie Elements 9? Even .mp4 or h.264 would be ok with me too as long as I dont lose quality. Please list steps if possible because i'm a n00b. Thanks in advance

Brandon Thompson

• 1. Re: How do I export to 1920x1080p in .mov without losing quality?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you ensured that, when you started your project, you selected the right project settings?

You want to use the settings for a DSLR 1080p at 29.97 fps.

If you do that much, you'll be 90% of the way there.

But outputting a video at exactly the same quality, exactly the same size video file, is all but impossible. Video, for the most part, doesn't work that way.

An .mov video is packaged in a file that Premiere Elements needs to unpack to use. It can later repack it into another MOV if you'd like -- and it can look as good as the original -- but it's pretty unlikely it's going to be exactly the same or even the same size.

MOVs, after all, are only packages. They can use any of dozens of  codecs (compression systems), so the chances that Premiere Elements will  use exactly the same codec and quality level to output your video are  pretty poor.

In fact, an MOV might not even be the best choice for an output file. It depends on what you plan to do with it.

MOVs can be used as source video for another production, they can be played on iPods and iPads or Apple TV, they can be posted online. But how you plan to use your video sort of dictates which format your video will take.

• 2. Re: How do I export to 1920x1080p in .mov without losing quality?
            Ted Smith Level 3

If you could originally shoot it or convert it to 1900x1080i  H264 then you should not have any problem.

- try 4Media.or AVS converters.