4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 3:22 PM by RodneyA

How do I handle overflow text?

dryheat1

My text very nicely flowed from one page to another. I selected the text in Chapter 1 of my book and changed it from 12pt to 14pt. It overflowed into Chapter 2. I inserted a couple of pages between the two chapters to catch the overflow and reapplied the font change. It still overflowed over Chapter 2.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Don

• 1. Re: How do I handle overflow text?
          RodneyA Level 3

Is it not using the pages you added? Then you need to "thread" the frames together so that it will use them. Click on the little threading boxes at the top and bottom of each frame (if you choose View:Extras:Show Text Threads" it's a little clearer what's going on.

Is it using those pages but there's still not enough room? Then you need to add more pages.

I usually put each chapter in its own document and use the automatic "Smart Text Reflow" so that if chapters get longer or shorter, it doesn't affect the layout of subsequent chapters. Then use a "Book" file to keep the chapters paginating properly.

• 2. Re: How do I handle overflow text?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It almost sounds as if there are master text frames and you flowed the text into them for chapter 1, but somehow failed to use the master frames in chapter 2, leaving them behind for more text to flow into when you use auto-flow.

• 3. Re: How do I handle overflow text?
              dryheat1 Level 1

Thanks to all of you for your help. I got tired of fighting with ID, so I deleted all of the chapters that I had already entered. I'm bringing them back into ID one chapter at a time, making my font changes, adding any illustrations, tacking a few blank pages on for overflow, saving it and then bringing in the next chapter.

I'm sure this is not the way it's supposed to work, but I can only take so much abuse from a software program. LOL- well sorta.

Don

• 4. Re: How do I handle overflow text?
                RodneyA Level 3

You're right -- that's not how the program is supposed to work. It works quite well when you understand it. You will save yourself a lot of time and grief by learning how to use InDesign before doing a lot more production work, and you've been given many clues in this thread. It's your own time you're wasting.

You shouldn't have to spend much time changing fonts -- if you don't know how Paragraph Styles work, learn that before you go any farther. You do not need to add blank pages. If you don't know how Smart Text Reflow works, learn that before you go any farther. The time and frustration you save on the project will be much greater than the time required to make a short detour to learn these basics.