7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 12:58 PM by SuperCrawler

Computer failure - new computer needed :-)

teho59 Level 1

Hi,

I need a new computer. My computer is restarting itself during boot. I push the power on, the fans starts, the disks are beginning to spin and after a few seconds before anything shows on the monitor the power goes off and everything stops. Then after a few seconds it starts again. It keeps on restarting like that until I stop manually by turning off the PSU. I have replaced the PSU but without any difference. I think it is the CPU or mainboard that is gone. I have removed everything from the mainboard (disks, cd-rom, memory one by one, etc.) except for the CPU and it still restarts the same way.

My old computer is a Q6600, Asus P5K Deluxe mainboard with a GTX275 gpu.

I have put together some components for a new computer with the LGA1155 socket. But I have started to rethink if the LGA1366 i7-960 could a better choice? Are one of them (1155/1366) better/superior to the other and if so, which one? 

I am not a heavy video-producer but that might change with a faster/better computer. I do work with a lot of photos in Ligthroom. Those are the most demanding applications I use.

My spec for a 1155 platform, will this do for a reasonable handling of Canon 7D videos without to much stuttering?

-- Memory
          Corsair Vengeance™ DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
          Kit w/4x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240 pin

-- Mainboard
          ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe, Socket-1155
          ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s, FW, USB3.0, BT, EFI
        or
          ASUS P8Z68-V PRO, Socket-1155
          ATX, Z68, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, CFX&SLI, SATA 6Gb/s,USB3.0,FW, VGA,DVI,HDMI, EFI

-- CPU
          Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K
          3,4GHz, Socket LGA1155, 8MB, Boxed

-- CPU-cooler
          Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
          Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 1200 RPM, 110,3 m³/h, 19,6 dBA

-- GPU
          Keep my ASUS GTX275 until I can afford to buy a GTX580.

I did not spec an i7-960 but it would be in the same price range.

- Terje

• 1. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This should do nicely. If you want more info, read some of the posts here and specifically read the articles that are listed under the Overview tab at the top of the form page.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
            teho59 Level 1

Thanks!

If I don't solve my problems today I will buy the LGA 1155 platform.

- Terje

• 3. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
              SuperCrawler Level 1

Terje,

Hi.

Take the time to follow Harm Millaard's advice,

i.e. “read some of the posts here and specifically read the articles that are listed under the Overview tab at the top of the form page”,

before rushing out to buy a system if you have any doubt about which system/components to buy.

Do you hear any error beeps when you power on your computer? If so, the error beep code helps indicate what the problem could be.

• 4. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
                teho59 Level 1

SuperCrawler wrote:

Terje,

Hi.

Take the time to follow Harm Millaard's advice,

i.e. “read some of the posts here and specifically read the articles that are listed under the Overview tab at the top of the form page”,

before rushing out to buy a system if you have any doubt about which system/components to buy.

Do you hear any error beeps when you power on your computer? If so, the error beep code helps indicate what the problem could be.

No sound at all. Only sound is fans that starts and stops before disks starts up.

Yes, I will scan thru the articles before buying, but I have pretty much decided what to buy. I just wanted to be sure I did not buy something that seemed good but would perform bad.

- Terje

• 5. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
                  SuperCrawler Level 1

teho59 wrote:

I just wanted to be sure I did not buy something that seemed good but would perform bad.

There are many recent threads concerning the P67/Z68 platform. You may find much of the information you are looking for there.

Are any of the LED lights lit when you power on the computer?

Sometimes reseating the video card and RAM needs to be done several times if heavy oxidation needs to be cleaned up.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
                    teho59 Level 1

SuperCrawler wrote:

Are any of the LED lights lit when you power on the computer?

Sometimes reseating the video card and RAM needs to be done several times if heavy oxidation needs to be cleaned up.

Hi,

I have removed everything from the motherboard. CPU was the last I removed and then it runs without restarting. I am cleaning it now and putting it back with the cooler, then we will se what happens. I don't have any hope.

Seems to be an upgrade coming    money  /   fun

As far as I can see there is not so much difference between platforms if you are not running for absolute performance which I am not. Therefor I will stick to what I specified further up.

Thanks for all help.

- Terje

Edit: After setting the cpu back it is now restarting continously. Power on, 2-3 secs and power off, 2-3 secs and boots again.

• 7. Re: Computer failure - new computer needed :-)
                      SuperCrawler Level 1

I have removed everything from the motherboard. CPU was the last I removed and then it runs without restarting. I am cleaning it now and putting it back with the cooler, then we will se what happens. I don't have any hope.

You are brave. Well done for trying.

It's a sad day if a computer that served you well dies. I hope you can save her.

Edit: After setting the cpu back it is now restarting continously. Power on, 2-3 secs and power off, 2-3 secs and boots again.

At this point I do not know what to think other than having your CPU tested by a reputable computer shop or someone who knows what they are doing. It shouldn't cost much to have it tested, if anything, and it will give you peace of mind knowing whether or not it was your CPU that caused the problem.

Yet an upgrade is fun!

If you haven't yet had a look at the PPBM5 where one can see different systems with various system setups used by editors, and where they rank, click on the following link and then click on Benchmark Results to go to that page. You can see many systems there with the i7-2600K.

http://ppbm5.com/index.html

Let know how it went with your old computer.

Good luck.