6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 8:06 AM by TradeWind

Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?

Heartpine

I am editing a movie and extra video features for my daughter's 11-scene Shakespearian elementary school play.   Video was recorded on 10 year-okd miniDV tape cameras set to NTSC 29.97fps, 720h 480v, and pixel aspect ratio .9091, and the movie and features will be produced for DVD.  Am using Premier Pro CS5.

I am in the final phase of edit clean-ups and only just now realized that I set all my sequences to a different frame rate: 23.976 fps.   Otherwise, the frame size and pixel aspect ratio are the same.  (Apparently I used the DV-24p sequence template instead of the DV-NTSC template, and repeatedly cloned my mistake.  I am a true amateur; I only use Premier Pro for the annual school play.)

To ensure I get the best possible quality, based on what I've read I think I need to go back and recreate the sequences using the frame rate that matches the footage. Quality is important because I have no margin for degradation thanks to using old cameras recording at a distance, and recording in some low light.scenes.

Epecially, rebuilding sequences will be an unhappy prospect because I nested many sequences and used multi-camera editing.

Or would I be creating unnecessarily work for myself?

I notice that the export for MPEG2-DVD allows for both frame rates.   I just don't know video technology enough to understand the implicatons of producing the movie at a lesser frame rate, whether there DVD can be played as well on both modern televisions and 12 year old CRT televisions. (Guess which vintage I have.)

I appreciate any guidance, even if it to confirm the bad news.  I want to create the best possible DVD even if it means re-work; the DVDs will be a keepsake that will be cherished by these kids and their families for years. 

• 1. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
          shooternz Level 6

Try This:

Create a new Sequence (correct frame rate) and select all from the other sequence.  Copy then Paste them into the new sequence.

• 2. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
            Heartpine Level 1

Thanks for the idea but not sure that addresses the full scope of my situation.  The idea works fine when the clips being copied are from the raw footage at 29.97 fps.    But I'm not sure about what happens when there are intermediate sequences.

Here's the situation: 

(a) I have nine sequences (one for each scene) with at least two video tracks from raw footage and audio.  

(b) I then created a multicamera sequence for each scene.  The multicamera clips are pointed to the other sequences, not original footage.  Besides the multicamera edits, I applied other edits to those sequences, especially adding titles and making many needed corrections. I also added the final mixed audio track in these sequences with precise synchronization to video.

Copying clips from the (a) sequences is a no-brainer, but copying clips from the (b) sequences would still point to the original underlying (a) 23.975 fps  sequences. I know I can "replace with clip from bin" but that doesn't work at all for my purposes.

Or does Premier Pro only "care" about the frame rate of the last sequence, not the intermediate nested sequences?   

I could test this but I'm not sure I'd notice any difference watching the output on my 1998 television.    My concern is that people with new televisions and technology would see the difference in quality.

• 3. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

This does not solve your problem technically, but what I have done is walk into a Best Buy or other video store and have them run your test disk on one of their fancy systems. 

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
                TradeWind Level 3

The nested sequence frame rates do play a role. Everything of course will be conformed to the frame rate of your destination/final sequence (or your export settings at least) but if you go from 60i to 24p then back to 60i it's not going to look right at all.

The short answer is start over...at least on your multicam edits. Assuming that you didn't make a TON of edits, this shouldn't be too time consuming, This is the BEST possible way to ensure that your final export is as good as it can be.

Otherwise, since you've put all your nested sequences in 24p multicam sequences, if you don't have any time at all to fix this, you can just match your final sequence settings at 24p and the results won't be terrible. However, setting your final multicam sequence to 60i when all your nested sequences are 24p is a good bit less than ideal.

I think at the VERY least you should test it. just test a short segment if you're short on time, but you should test it nonetheless. If you can't tell ANY difference, then it should be fine.

I will say that with your 60i footage, you have a lot of freedom on the shoot in terms of pans/tilts and other camera motion. As you are conforming all the shots to 24p, you will DEFINITELY notice some stuttering on your camera motion if it is anything but slow, smooth motion. This is just part of the workflow for 24p footage, it's not a bug or technical error.

But yes, you really will want to get everything back to the source frame rate if you have the time. Otherwise, choose your shortcut and be done with it.

• 5. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
                  Heartpine Level 1

Thank you for the explanation and confirmation of the technology.     If time can be measured in tonnage, I reckon I have about 1,100 pounds of edits.  The entire play sequence is 110 minutes.  It mostly will be a matter of reviewing and replicating camera changes--about 2 to 3 hours for setup and recreating sequences, I reckon.   Many lessons learned from this experience.

• 6. Re: Used "wrong" frame rate for sequences; should I redo?
                    TradeWind Level 3

Well, if you've got nothing but time to do it, you could probably knock it out in a few days. I'd expect a week based on your edits.

Yeah, best bet is just either export as-is, or completely start over. A patch job would take too much time.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's always good to have a learning experience