30 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 8:00 AM by ssprengel

Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I am using CS5 with the above version of camera raw.

I have windows XP with 4G ram. When I try to convert raw files to 16 bit tiff files I get the message "Insufficent memory".

I am unable to process my raw files from a Canon 5D mk2.

I have no other programes running in the background.

What is going on?

• 1. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the long run you should get a 64-bit computer running Windows 7 and then programs can use the full memory, whereas on a 32-bit system only 3GB is accessible and Photoshop probably has less than 1GB it can use. 

In the short term, I would try a previous version of ACR to see if it works better.  The one specific thing fixed in the .1 version of ACR 6.4.1 was corruption of metadata for files with very large amounts of it, so maybe an internal buffer of ACR was increased to a point that is beyond what your system can allocate to ACR.  Another thing would be to check how much memory Photoshop reports it can use before you start anything, and then see how much is allocated to Photoshop, itself.  I would change the amount of memory allocated to Photoshop to both less and more, to see if one works better. 

Are you loading up all the RAW files into ACR at once or doing them one-by-one, and are you saving them out of ACR, itself, or using the Image Processor?  You might watch the memory being used by Photoshop and Bridge in Task Manager and see if it gets more and more as you save more files.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
            6smhacrsd6 Level 1

Thanks ssprengel.

I have a few questions.

Can you tell me what was the first version of ACR to recognise Canon 5D Mk2 raw files and I will go back to that.

The only version of ACR listed under CS5 is 6.1. Will the earlier versions of ACR listed under CS2 or CS3 work?

How do I check how much memory photoshop reports it can use against how much is allocated to photoshop?

I have tried changing the ammount of memory allocated to photoshop to less and more but there is no difference it will not process only one file!

I am not sure what you mean by using the image processor? I have loaded files into ACR and done some changes, some of them extensive. The changes I presume are saved in the xmp file. I then exit ACR and then select one of the raw files with the changes and then ask ACR to save the file as a 16bit tiff. I then get the message there is not enough memory.

• 3. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

Each major version of CS works with one major version series of ACR so CS5 works with the ACR 6.x series.

CS5 installs with ACR 6.0 and 6.1 is the first upgrade after that.

You can check the readme files, linked on each version's update page, for each of the ACR 6.x's to determine if one of them started to support your camera or if they all do.

You can look in your Photoshop preferences to see the memory limit and allocation percent/amount, which you say in your next answer you've already done, but haven't said what amount of memory you saw Photoshop saying it could use.  You could also check the amount of memory Photshop.exe is using by looking in the process tab of Task Manager when Photoshop is running.

The Image Processor is on the Bridge menus.

It sounds like you're adjusting all the RAWs in ACR and then clicking Done, which is good, and only trying to convert one at a time, which is also good.  Have you tried opening one RAW in ACR and then clicking Open instead of Save and saving the TIF from Photoshop?  It sounds like you don't have very much memory available on your system, but I'd think one RAW at a time would be ok.

I would go back just one version of ACR to start with, which would be 6.3, in case that works ok.  If not then go all the way back to 6.1 or whatever the oldest version of ACR 6.x that supports your camera is.

If you feel comfortable doing it, you might upload one of the RAW files you're working with along with its XMP to www.YouSentIt.com or signup and use DropBox.com or some other larger-file-sharing service, and then post the download link, here, so others can try the same thing.  I happen to be on a 32-bit machine at home and could see if it'd work for me and check how much memory is used. 

For the record, on my 32-bit machine, just now, with only Photoshop loaded and Outlook e-mail, Photoshop's preferences are reporting I have 1640MB memory available with 70% of that allocated by default.  What memory available number to you have?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I have tried opening one RAW in ACR and then clicking open. It did open in Photoshop but the image is blank white untill I grab the title bar and move it about, when the image appears. I tried saving the file as a tiff and it saved the file and when I go to open the file it shows a correct preview but a blank image when opened.

I have 75%(1249) memory allocated to Photoshop with 1666 available.

• 5. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                  RASouthworth Level 3

Clear the ACR cache, and check its size, set in preferences.  Also, make sure your hard disk has enough free space.

Richard Southworth

• 6. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                    6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I finaly reverted back to ACR 6.0.

I selected just over 100 RAW files in ACR and clicked save as 16bit tiff.

To my great delight it did them all with absolutely no problem.

Clearly version 6.4 has some considerable problems handling memory!

Many thanks to all for their help.

• 7. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                      RASouthworth Level 3

I'm not sure about the "clearly", I was able to use 6.4 and save out a 96mb tiff from a .nef file.  Windows 7 64bit.

Richard Southworth

• 8. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

The 32-bit 6.4.1 is what's having the problem at least in once instance.

• 9. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                          6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I agree with ssprengel.

Perhaps I should have said "clearly" considering the operating system I am using.

I am saving tiffs of 120mb from cr2 files.

• 10. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                            Hudechrome Level 2

You must be a scientist. Scientists love to use "Clearly" and if you use it twice in a row, you are beyond help!

Some of those problems prompted me to move to Win7 64 (Not enough memory). I have CS5 on XP as well, because my scanner has no driver for Win7. There is definitely  advantages to Win7 64.

But even with 8GB, I am seeing problems which suggest moving up to at least 12G.

• 11. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                              RASouthworth Level 3

I was Bridge hosted, therefore 32bit.  Simply stated, I don't believe that an inherent problem with 6.4.1.145 has been established.

Richard Southworth

• 12. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

I'd like to be able to download a DNG that exhibits the problem, a DNG that has all the adjustment metadata written to it so there's no question that the same adjustments are being performed on my system as that of the OP, and then hosted on a website, or at least a download link from an uploaded to www.yousendit.com or a public-folder-link from www.dropbox.com.  I have both 32-bit and 64-bit systems to try it on.

• 13. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                  6smhacrsd6 Level 1

How would I create a DNG from the raw with all the corrections I have embeded in the xmp file, when 6.4 will not work?

Version 6.0 does not have the lens distortion correction adjustments that 6.4 has.

On a completely seperate note I know of someone using the exact same specification of computer as me, but using CS3 and ACR 4.6 who cannot process any more than 10 raw files without getting the message "there is not enough memory"

• 14. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

You should try the latest version of ACR in between 6.0 and 6.4.1 that still works for you. 

You can create a DNG before opening in ACR, open the DNG in ACR, do your adjustments, and click Done to exit ACR.  This will save the adjustments into the DNG without saving to TIF which is where the problem occurs, then upload the DNG for others to try.  I am not interested in a TIF converted to DNG, just the RAW converted to DNG with the adjustment metadata within it.  Alternatively you could ZIP the CR2 and XMP files and upload those, but having the DNG would be a single file to deal with.

If your colleague is using the same setup and cannot process files with a much older version of PS and ACR then it is obviously not a bug in ACR 6.4.1, it is a lack of memory on the computer, or some flaw with the system configuration or running processes that cause less-than-optimal amounts of memory to be available.  The large RAW file size with the 5D.2 didn't exist back in the days of CS3 so systems and gotten larger and so have the programs that run on them. 

Get a 64-bit system with Windows 7 64-bit and 6 to 8 gigs of memory and be happy.

• 15. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                      6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I am obviously missing something,probably experience and knowledge!

How do you create a DNG without opening a RAW file in ACR?

I also have a colleague with the same setup but using CS4 and ACR 5.0 who can process over 100 raw files with no problem.

The differences appear to be problems with different versions of ACR.

• 16. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                        6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I should have said that my colleagues are processing RAW files from canon 1D Mk 2.

• 17. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

You can use the DNG Converter to convert virgin CR2s into DNGs.  There is a version of the DNG Converter associated with each ACR update, usually downloadable from the same page as ACR, so use the latest one, if you can, and if it has issues, step back to the one associated with ACR 6.3.

1D.2 images that work ok are 8MP.  5D.2 images that have memory issues with the latest ACR are 21MP.  Does it not make sense that more 8MP images can be processed before running out of memory than 21MP images?

• 18. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                            6smhacrsd6 Level 1

Thanks I will try to find and use the DNG converter and convert a CR2 into a DNG.

I agree with your second point.

But the point I was trying to make was that my colleagues with exactly the same specification of computer as myself.

One colleague can process over 100 1D.2 images with no problem using CS4 ACR 5.0

While the other can only process about 10 1D.2 images using CS3 ACR 4.6 before recieving the "there is not enough memory" error.

Both colleagues have exactly the same setup and not running any other programes in the background.

• 19. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                              RASouthworth Level 3

When the issue is how many (10, 100, ?) raw images can be processed at one time the problem is almost always the size of the ACR disk cache, set in ACR preferences.  ACR does not store all images within RAM, it uses a disk cache just as Bridge and Photoshop do, although it is separate from the other two.

Richard Southworth

• 20. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                6smhacrsd6 Level 1

The person who can process 100 images at once has a 1gb cache.

The person who can process only 10 has a 5gb cache.

• 21. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

Would you recommend purging the existing images from the cache before starting a batch save or will expanding the size of the cache work w/o having to ever purge images?

A question for the OP is what is the size of your ACR Disk Cache in your ACR Preferences?

• 22. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                    6smhacrsd6 Level 1

The person who can process 100 images at once with ACR 5.0 has a 1gb cache set in ACR Preferences an as for as I know never purges the cache.

The person who can only process 10 at a time with ACR 4.6 has 5gb cache set in ACR preferences and regularly purges his cache.

• 23. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                      RASouthworth Level 3

I don't know whether purging is required/desirable or not, just that everytime I change the preference I purge the cache, I assume the program is smart enough to make room as it fills up.  The worst that can happen from manually purging is a slightly extended delay the next time those images are accessed.  BTW I have 20gb set for my ACR cache, and have never bumped into the inadequate memory msg.

Richard Southworth

• 24. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                        6smhacrsd6 Level 1

I'm sorry I have taken the discussion slightly of the subject of ACR 6.4.

My point is that various different versions of ACR appear to handle memory better than others,especially on a 32bit system.

My own experience seems to prove the point.

ACR 6.4 and I was going nowhere.

ACR 6.0 and processing was a dream.

Is this something that Adobe are aware of, or do we just need to keep getting bigger and better pc's with each updated version?

• 25. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                          RASouthworth Level 3

And our (forum members) point is that it probably is not an issue with ACR 6.4, given the lack of complaints on the forum.  You can either decide to work with us to resolve the problem, or continue to assume (and complain) that Adobe has somehow slanted the software toward larger systems.  Your choice.

Richard Southworth

• 26. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                            Jeff Schewe Level 5

6smhacrsd6 wrote:

I have 75%(1249) memory allocated to Photoshop with 1666 available.

Default for Windows is usually 50%. Depending on how many other apps are open and other background processes, Photoshop may be starving the system.

The issue of images appearing white seems to be a video card driver issue...

• 27. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                              6smhacrsd6 Level 1

RASouthworth wrote:

And our (forum members) point is that it probably is not an issue with ACR 6.4, given the lack of complaints on the forum.  You can either decide to work with us to resolve the problem, or continue to assume (and complain) that Adobe has somehow slanted the software toward larger systems.  Your choice.

Richard Southworth

I am perfectly willing to work with others to resolve the problem. It was suggested I roll back to a previous version, which I did and it worked like a dream.

Just because there have been no complaints about problems does not mean there are none!

I have now reverted back to 6.4 which is also now working like a dream! I have not made any other changes to the settings, or my system.

Has anyone any explanation of this?

• 28. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

I tried the ISO25600 (last) CR2 in this sample of 5D.2 RAWs, linked below, and was able to open and save it with ACR 6.4.1 on my 32-bit system.  I set the conversion to 16-bit ProPhotoRGB and saved as a TIF.  The lens used for these sample photographs was not known to ACR so I just chose the first lens in the Canon group.  Using Task Manager, I saw Photoshop's Memory (Private Working Set) number go from 580MB to 1GB but the save finished after about a minute or so.

http://www.artbyphil.com/phfx/photography/2008_5DII_Review/raws/5DII_NoiseTest.zip

It would be useful to have a virgin DNG + your adjustments embedded uploaded to test ACR elsewhere with exactly what you're doing including the same lens profile corrections and anything else you've done to the DNG that still doesn’t finish for you.  If you can't provide a DNG or CR2/XMP can you at least attach an XMP that can be used with other 5D.2 files, although perhaps the camera firmware plays a role, so a DNG or CR2/XMP from your camera would be best.

• 29. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?
                                                                  6smhacrsd6 Level 1

The only reason I hesitate to upload anything is our IT restrictions here. Having to go through all the paperwork to upload anything is just not worthwhile.

I may try from home.

But as I have now reverted back to ACR 6.4.1 everything now appears to work fine. Even with the troublesome file.

Why should changing versions and then changing back have such an effect, when nothing else has changed?

• 30. Re: Camera RAW 6.4.1.145 Memory problem?

Your camera-raw cache probably has different contents, which would have been created by ACR 6.0 or 6.4.0 if those were installed when you last purged your ACR cache, so the cached copy could be used instead of recomputing from scratch.

Or your lens-profiles may have become corrupted and re-installing, if that's what you did, may have fixed them.

Try purging your cache with 6.4.1 installed and see if the issue returns.

If you can't repeat the issue, then it's unlikely any of us can.  What lens profile are you using with the formerly problem image?