2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2006 4:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

Templates and editable regions- I'm a beginnner

two8616
      I have created a nav bar in Fireworks and then made it into a template in Dreamweaver. Now I am adding content to the website but I cannot insert an editable region. I'm not sure if it's something I did wrong in fireworks or if I'm doing something wrong in dreamweaver. Do I need to add extra slices in Fireworks or something? I just cannot get dreamweaver to select the area I want for an editable region. I have no experience using any code. I have done everything graphically thus far. If you can offer any advice or tutorials, that would be great. Thanks
        • 1. Re: Templates and editable regions- I'm a beginnner
          Level 7
          two8616 wrote:
          > I have created a nav bar in Fireworks and then made it into a template in
          > Dreamweaver. Now I am adding content to the website but I cannot insert an
          > editable region. I'm not sure if it's something I did wrong in fireworks or if
          > I'm doing something wrong in dreamweaver. Do I need to add extra slices in
          > Fireworks or something? I just cannot get dreamweaver to select the area I
          > want for an editable region. I have no experience using any code. I have done
          > everything graphically thus far. If you can offer any advice or tutorials,
          > that would be great. Thanks
          >
          You need to learn some basic code in order to be able to do this. At
          least enough to get a sense of what kinds of "containers" your editable
          content will need, e.g., paragraphs <p></p>, divs, tables and their
          cells, etc.

For a quick lesson, do this (relatively) simple tutorial:
          http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/css/css_td/index.htm

--
          Bonnie
          in California
          8 ^ )
          • 2. Re: Templates and editable regions- I'm a beginnner
            Level 7
            "two8616" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

>I have created a nav bar in Fireworks and then made it into a template in
            >Dreamweaver. Now I am adding content to the website but I cannot insert an
            >editable region. I'm not sure if it's something I did wrong in fireworks or if
            >I'm doing something wrong in dreamweaver. Do I need to add extra slices in
            >Fireworks or something? I just cannot get dreamweaver to select the area I
            >want for an editable region. I have no experience using any code. I have done
            >everything graphically thus far. If you can offer any advice or tutorials,
            >that would be great. Thanks

To insert an editable region, you have to edit the original template. You can
            only insert an editable region in code derived from a template if you put it
            inside an editable region (in which case the original editable region
            disappears), and it only has a meaning if you are saving the new file as a
            derived template.

Clancy