5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 8:04 AM by John T Smith

Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?

adavidow

We are trying to keep an old server working usefully just a bit longer by moving it from a mere 3.25GB/winxp-32 to 8GB/Win7. Hope is that the extra memory will enable PE9 to run more smoothly. Right now, when trying to work with some relative highres video files, they are "skipping." We have checked the source on faster computers, and the data are there--it seems to be our computer that is the bottleneck. Presumably, the issue is not PE9 since we have similar issues when using QuickTime or WMP for playback of the files. (We also have a few hundred GB of disk space, and the actual files are in the ~10GB range, so likelihood is that disk/scratch disk space is also not the issue.)

So, first, is this solution likely to yield any solution to the problem, and second, will PE9 run on a 64-bit system?

• 1. Re: Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

How fast is the processor on the system you're running this program on?

I'm not sure what "relatively high res video files" are, but Premiere Elements generally takes a quad core processor to run AVCHD video. You may be able to run standard def video or HDV tape based video on a dual core machine -- but you'll probably have nothing but struggles trying to do anything on single-core processor.

BTW, have you ensured that your project settings match your source video? If it does, when you place the video on the timeline there will be no red lines above the clips until you add effects to it. Is that the case with your projects?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As far as I know, the answer is yes... but I've also read messages about "some" problems with Win7 64bit

IF you have Pro or higher, read...

Virtual XP is, of course, designed for ANY old 32bit program, not just the program discussed at this link
            For Win7 64bit Pro or Ultimate (or Enterprise?) ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?
              adavidow Level 1

Steve, I'm not at work, but the computer is about in the middle - it's a 2.33GHz dual core. I'll have to look at whether or not the files are being handled by PE in whatever their native settings are; I'd pay more attention to that, but given that the files aren't playing well in either QuickTime or WMP, the question seemed moot up to that point.

At the moment, the questio i is whether PE will still work (not just PE 9, which is relatively recent, but also CSS3) in a 64-bit W7 environment, and whether adding RAM will be of any help. It's not an expensive proposition to test, but I have no great need to beat my head against the wall if it gets me nothing.

• 4. Re: Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?
                adavidow Level 1

Heh. Premiere Pro 2, which had the problems, was the version released in 1992. Even our "ancient" CS3 applications are a decade and a half more recent ;-).

• 5. Re: Run Premiere Elements 9 in 64-bit Win7?
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As I said... that is an EXAMPLE of fixing a compatibility problem with Microsoft's virtual PC module... not just for that one program