24 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 7:03 AM by mhnbording

Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem

mhnbording Level 1

Hey guys,

Seems there might be quite a bad bug in the new 10.1 update for Adobe Reader. The problem appeared when some of our pdf forms started loading really slow, as well as the interaction ie. submitting became very slow. After a spot a detective work I found out that the delay was due to a stream of UDP network requests being send out on the local network. At first I coulnd'nt figure what was going on, but after looking at the packages it seems that the Reader is trying to figure out the IP for a partial URL, in my case the url started with www. and thus a lookup for WWW was sent via netbios out on the network. This lead me to a couple of very fast "fixes", although not pretty, quite effective. Either disable netbios over tcpip on your tcpip stack, or add the faulty dns name to you local dns or hosts file, in my case adding www to default loopback line in the hosts file solved the issue (127.0.0.1       localhost www)

I haven't quite figured out what and when the error is triggered, but I have observed it when loading forms containing page action scripts, but also when submitting data via fdf from a form. In both cases the forms were loaded from a site outside of my local network.

Cheers,

Michael

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
          nrsgnt

I am having the same problem. PDF files that contain page action/document javascripts take a long time to load in IE9/Firefox/Chrome. e.g. a 300KB 7page document takes up to 1 minute.

This seems to be a hit and miss problem and only started with the 10.1 update. Some systems are affected and others are not.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
            nrsgnt Level 1

We are able to fix this by adding the domain to the Privledged Locations security settings. The interesting result was adding just the domain did not work, we had to include "https://" when adding the domain to the list... either way this should not cause pdf files to lock up for 1-2 minutes... and then the pdf loads and functions normally...

This update is screwed.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
              mhnbording Level 1

Hi nrsgnt,

Glad to hear you found a fix for your issue. As I montioned, it seems to be a bit hard to really get a handle on whats going on. To see if your issue is related or the same as the one I have, you could try opening the pdf using the ip instead of the hostname. This should (maybe) bypass the extra namelookup, although you might get a certificate error seeing your running https. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Michael

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                nrsgnt Level 1

The other wierd item I noticed (like you did) is that tabbing through fields of a PDF (with page action/document scripts) loaded in a browser takes longer (5 seconds to tab) and when you tab Adobe is performing name resolution dozens of times. This can't be security related since the actions commit anyway, they just take longer. Sounds like bad code.

Untitled-1.jpg

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                  nrsgnt Level 1

I'm guessing it's pointless to question why Adobe Reader is trying to resolve a domain name by sub-domain only (i.e. www vs. www.adobe.com)... but I was able to resolve our issue by modifying the hosts file as such:

x.x.x.x   www

I really don't like this fix though for obvious reasons.

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                    mhnbording Level 1

I hadn't noticed that lookups were made during tabbing, but I must agree that is does seem quite serious/odd. Seeing that no server interaction normally would be done during simple things like tabbing, a name lookup seems quite unnessisary. I can see from your screenshot that the pattern of the lookups is the exact same as the one I encountered, its looking for www2, which would be the initial part of the url requested.

On a different note, it would seem that the Reader has had similar problems before. I ran across this great discussion in the archieves:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/391863

Cheers,

/m

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                      mhnbording Level 1

>>I'm guessing it's pointless to question why Adobe Reader is trying to resolve a domain name by sub-domain only (i.e. www vs. www.adobe.com)... but I was able to resolve our issue by modifying the hosts file as such:

>>x.x.x.x www

>>I really don't like this fix though for obvious reasons.

I can't come up with an plausible explanation for the partial lookup other than it being a bug If your are using the pdf-files exclusively from one site ie. your local network setting up the entry in the local dns would probably solve the issue for all your users. However if you have users accessing the files from other parts of the internet it becomes a very tedious exercise. As an alternative to the hosts file solution, you could consider disabling netbios over tcpip all together which also bypasses the lookup. And as a last option, accessing the pdf by ip, however when using https this is not an option.

However, the REAL solution to this problem would ofcourse be a patch from Adobe, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, anybody listning

Cheers,

/m

• 8. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                        nrsgnt Level 1

Try this link out and see if you get any performance issues with 10.1 that you do not get with 10.0.x...

http://testsubdomain.signit.com/AdobeBugTest/Sample.htm

My Adobe locks up when focusing fields (via click or tab).

I am using host container to communicate between the PDF and browser, and for whatever reason this results in Adobe Reader trying to resolve testsubdomain which does not exist (i.e. it's not trying to resolve testsubdomain.signit.com).I've confirmed this using wireshark.

We have thousands of users who are experiencing this same issue. Unfortunately for us we have not found a workaround for this Adobe bug and we've been forced to provide our users with an earlier version of Reader while we investigate a workaround / alternatives to Adobe Reader.

• 9. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                          mhnbording Level 1

Hi nrsgnt,

I just tried the form you linked to, and it seems to be pretty much useless in 10.1 due to hangs. I looked in your form and it seems that its your focus function that is triggering the lookups, no idea why though. I tried altering your surrounding html page to point at the ip as opposed to the name and then the form works just fine in 10.1:

u = 'http://207.54.123.23/AdobeBugTest/Sample.pdf';

Cheers,

/m

• 10. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                            pede1867

Any updates or acknowledgement from Adobe that this is a known issue?  I'm not seeing much about it anywhere other than this thread...

• 11. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                              mhnbording Level 1

Hi Pede,

No, I have made a bug report with Adobe, but haven't heard anything back. I have searched the net to in regards to the bug, but have reached the same result as you But the bug seems quite severe, so hopefully Adobe will find it on their own.

Cheers,

/m

• 12. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                Skuld-Chan Level 1

I actually filed this bug with 9.0.0 when I first noticed the problem in version8 - oh well... You can disable netbios to work-around this - we are currently evaluating options for this, but here is a script using WMI to automate this:

strComputer = "."

Const DEFAULT = 0

Const ENABLED = 1

Const DISABLED = 2

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set nics = objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT * FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE IPEnabled = True")

For Each nic In nics

intNetBT = nic.SetTCPIPNetBIOS(DISABLED)

Next

• 13. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                  mhnbording Level 1

Sadly the new 10.1.1 update does nothing to fix this issue. After some more digging I found out that thefaulty lookups are cause by the execution of any javascript in the PDF. A simple app.alert causes a faulty DNS lookup followed by 9 netbios broadcasts. Running with or without enhanced security doesn't seem to have any effect on the problem, the same goes for Javascript Global object security model. I'm a bit suprised that this bug hasen't cause more of a stir than it has.

Cheers,

/m

• 14. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                    weathermanski

Having the same issue here with Win XP/IE 7 Adobe reader 10.1.  nrsgnt worked around the issue.  He said, 'We are able to fix this by adding the domain to the Privledged Locations security settings'.  I don't know where to do this.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• 15. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                      mhnbording Level 1

Hi weathermanski,

>> Can you point me in the right direction?

I can sure give it a go You need to open open the preferences dialog (Edit -> Preferences) and then select the Item "Security Enhanced". In this dialog you can choose to use the same trusted sites as Windows (IE), or you can add your host seperately with the "Add Host" button. Hope this helps you, however this tip didn't work for me unfourtunatly

Cheers,

Michael

• 16. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                        weathermanski Level 1

Thank you Michael...

>>Hi Pede,

>>

>>No, I have made a bug report with Adobe, but haven't heard anything back. I have searched the net to in regards to the bug, but >>have reached the same result as you But the bug seems quite severe, so hopefully Adobe will find it on their own.

>>

>>Cheers,

>>/m

Today, I also filed a bug report with Adobe about this issue.  I asked Support if a previous case was opened for this issue and he said, 'No'.  The Support rep seemed like he didn't want to be asked anything that made him dig or think, especially about Reader!

Greg

• 17. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                          mhnbording Level 1

>>I asked Support if a previous case was opened for this issue and he said, 'No'.

Hmm, a bit disappointing I used their bug report webform to create a case which linked to this thread. However I can't recall whether I got a reference number or something like that. Anyhow, good to know that they definitely are aware of the bug now.

Thanks for the effort

/m

• 18. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                            bfunk1978

Been dealing with this for a while, and I still can't find anything in Adobe's KB that even discusses the bug.

• 19. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                              zaphod4321

Same problem here, confirmed via Wireshark.  Until Adobe fixes this issue, we are switching to the FoxIt reader and recommending it to all our clients as a work around. I hate moving away from Adobe, but for something so basic and so flawed, not having a fix in the application shows a lack of support or understanding. Disabling NetBIOS in the OS or suggesting folks add work arounds to their local DNS servers or local hosts file doesn't scale for cloud hosted services like ours. But if it's one thing the Internet is about, is about change.

• 20. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                                weathermanski Level 1

New version 10.1.2 fixes the NETBIOS issue!  It just came out today and we ran wireshark and did not see the NETBIOS calls problem. 

• 21. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                                  bfunk1978 Level 1

Indeed, on the last page it discusses the resolution of the symptom (though not the cause itself):

* Plug-in takes long time to load in the browser when rendering dynamic form on Windows XP.

• 22. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                                    mhnbording Level 1

Excellent news guys Going to have some hap-hap-happy users if this problem is gone. I'm still a bit puzzled that this hasn't created more drama, one would think a lot of people would be up in arms.

Cheers,

/m

• 23. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                                      zaphod4321 Level 1

Looks fixed.  Confirmed here too via Wireshark.  I guess we don't convert to FoxIt this time. While I'm glad Adobe has fixed the issue saving us a lot of hassle, I'm disappointed the issue even existed let alone the length of time it took to correct it once reported, and the time we wasted on it debugging it. We will be researching alternatives.

• 24. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 Update - Netbios problem
                                                        mhnbording Level 1

>>Looks fixed.  Confirmed here too via Wireshark.

I agree Just ran a couple of tests with  10.1.2 and the problem seems to be gone, no more lookups. On a side note I did come across a new minor issue with 10.1.2. In our application we stream a lot of pdfs to the browser, and up until now we have used a response.flush, however with 10.1.2 the Reader seems to load the stream and then hang doing quite a bit of I/O checking a temp file. But fortunately this one is fixable from my end as opposed to the Netbios bug

cheers,

/m