15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2012 12:26 PM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles

AlfonsMallgan Level 1

I have been editing a Adobe Pre 4-projects and saved it a couple of times during the last 14 days. Yesterday I moved the whole project file to another disk (external), unfortunately I did not copy and save; I moved it.

Now when I open the project from the external disk, all the transitions and titles are gone. Where have all the transitions and titles gone?

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be that you've broken the links to the titles. But the transitions should not be an issue.

Did you open the project with the same version of the program as you created it in?

Did you delete the old project from your drive? (You may well have destroyed something you can't recover.)

BTW, next time use the Project Archiver tool in Premiere Elements to move your projects. It moves all of the necessary media files along with the project files so that no links are broken.

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
            AlfonsMallgan Level 1

Yes, I opened the project with the same version of the program as I created it in.

I  deleted the old project from the drive which the project was created in.

Stupid me.

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles

Did you also delete the project's folders that include the auto-saves, previews, encoded files, layouts and stop motion capture?

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                AlfonsMallgan Level 1

I moved all the files to another disk as I thought that I could continue with the prject there. I did not delete any of these files but no files are left in the disk where I created the files.

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles

But did you move or delete these FOLDERS!

• 7. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles

You must have broken something -- but I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

When you open your project, does it ask to re-connect to your media files?

If not, go to the Auto-Save folder and open a previous saved version.

If, once you've reconnected your media files, it still doesn't work, then your only solution may be to just do it over again.

And next time you move a project, use the Project Archiver tool.

• 8. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                      Etratt

Hey sorry to bother you Steve Grisetti, but I have the same problem and I DID open the project with a different version of the program as I created it in. How could I fix that?

• 9. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not Steve (who seems to have lost his avatar???), but might be able to help.

OK, you were working on a Project in one version of PrE. Which version, please?

Did you Move any files, or folders, in the process?

You then Open the original PREL (the Project file for PrE) in another version of PrE. Which version, please?

Did PrE ask you, "Where is file _____ ?" If so, what did you do next?

Did the new version of PrE show any error, or warning messages? If so, what exactly did they say?

It is normally the best workflow, to finish a Project in the version of the program, in which it was started. However, one can often migrate the Project to a later version of the program, but there are several areas, where they might encounter problems.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more, about what you are doing, and anything that PrE might be telling you.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                          Etratt Level 1

Hi thanks for the response,

So I had adobe PrE 4.0 and downloaded the free trial version of adobe PrE 10 from the adobe site. I opened my PrE 4.0 project file in the trial version to see how it would look and it looked fine but for some reason PrE 10 is extremley slow on my computer and I have an ok computer, and I am not talking about the playback video was choppy, which it was, the editing process on the timeline was so slow and choppy that it was hard to edit properly. The did not move any files and PrE 10 didn't ask me any questions, I just go on it and opened the project file up from the PrE 4.0 file location. So I got rid of the trial version and went back to PrE 4.0 to get back to work on the same project and when I got there the transitions and titles would not work for that project file, however if I started a new file it would work fine (but I do not wish to start all over), when the video got to the titles in the playback video a red screen with the words media offline in several languages would come up and than go away once the title was supposed to be gone. I have the bad/messed up project file on my flashdrive now too. If we can't get this to fix on 4.0 than maybe you could tell me how to fix the PrE 10 because I got that too just in case, maybe you could tell me how to speed it up because it is unbelievably slow, and I have windows 7 64 bit operating system.

• 11. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                            Etratt Level 1

actually sometimes when I go onto the file in PrE 4.0 it asks me where is the Blue title or something (i think it is reffering to the title I have in my project) except where would you find that in your folders, usually only your videos and sounds are saved in folders, not the title screens right? also if we do find where the titles are in the folders that still doesn't explain why the transitions do not work.

• 12. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, when you worked with your original PrE 4.0 Project in PrE 10 trial, did you Open the original PREL, or a Copy of it. If the original, after PrE 10 did the conversion, did you then re-Save over that original?

This ARTICLE, after the checklist, talks about tuning up one's computer, and OS, before going into troubleshooting steps.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, it sounds like it's looking for some of the NewBlue FX Transitions, and maybe others. PrE contains some 3rd party Effects and Transitions from NewBlue FX. Many are fairly common, version to version, but they DO change.

Titles, Effects and Transitions are Saved to the PREL, though in the case of Effects and Transition, the original code must be on the computer, where they were located, when used. Titles are actually XML code, Saved within the PREL file. Unless one has Exported a Title to a Template, they do not exist as discrete files. Even then, a Title Template is only referenced from the PREL, and the actual Title is but a bit of XML code.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                                  Etratt Level 1

So i basically have to start over?

• 15. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 4-lost transitions and titles
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, that might be the only option, but first, tell us more about the exact steps that you took, when you Opened the PrE 4.0 PREL into PrE 10?

Also, before you do anything, I would quickly Copy your AutoSave file folder to a safe place, so that they do not get overwritten, as AutoSaves are FIFO, and unless you have modified the default, you will have only 5 AutoSave files. Here, I mean the AutoSaves from the original PrE 4.0 Project, and not the ones from the PrE 10 version of it.

Then, I would go to Windows Explorer, navigate to the AutoSave folder - the one that you just Copied - and set the Folder View to Details. Look closely at the Date/Time of each of the probably 5 files. Choose the most recent one Saved - remember, because they are FIFO, # 3 might well be newer, than #5. Once you have found the very latest version, launch PrE 4.0, and Open THAT AutoSave PREL. Check things out carefully.

Good luck,

Hunt