Since you are using the AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi along with Customaization Wizard X to create a customized installer, you will not be able to exercise the functionality of File > Save package (since, this option automatically creates the transform and adds the necessary information to the file Setup.ini about using this transform during installation). This option can only be used when you are using a Chained installer such as those released for Reader 10.0.1.
In your case, you can:
1. Open AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi in the Customization Wizard X.
2. Make the necessary changes that you need to.
3. Go to Transform > Generate Transform...
4. This will ask you for a location where to save the transform (i.e. an MST file). Provide the necessary details.
5. To install, simply use the command:
msiexec /i <path to AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi> TRANSFORMS=<path to mst created in step 4 above>
This will ensure that all the customizations made in the MST file, are honoured when installing Reader 10.1
Thanks Ankit. I followed your directions. But when I try to generate the transform and hit save, it still tells me setup.ini cannot be found.
I guess you must be clicking "Yes" when prompted to save the package while exiting the Customization Wizard. Click No when prompted to save the package, since you have already generated the necessary transform file.
Use the commandline instruction as mentioned in the previous post, to install Reader with the required configurations.
Thanks Ankit, but that is not the case. Here are the exact steps I take:
- Run Customization Wizard X.
- File->Open Package->Choose AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi and click Open.
- I make my confiuration changes which are very basic (diable updates, etc).
- Transform->Generate Transform.
- A Save As dialog box opens. I enter a file name for the transform.
- I click Save.
- Immediately I get a message saying Setup.ini was not found.
- And no transform is generated.
I finally seem to understand why you must be getting this issue. Took some fiddling around.
You must be trying to change the installation options of the installer i.e. something of the sort like making the installation unattended or suppressing reboot. This requires one or more extra parameters which have to be used while installing the MSI. These entries are required to be added to the file Setup.ini which in turn calls the MSI with the required parameters.
To achieve the same you will have to so the following:
1. Download the web installer for Reader 10.1.0 from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe
2. Open a Command Prompt window (Start > Run > type cmd and hit Enter).
3. Type in:
<path to the exe downloaded in step 1> -sfx_o<path to temp folder> -sfx_neand hit Enter.
C:\AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe -sfx_o"C:\Extracted_Contents" -sfx_ne
4. Check the contents of the extracted folder and you should see a AcroRead.MSI, an EXE and some other files.
5. Launch Adobe Customization Wizard X and open the AcroRead.msi.
6. Perform the necessary customizations and click on File > Save Package. This will change the Setup.ini file to ensure that all the changes that you have made will be kept while installing Reader.
7. Double click on Setup.exe and you should be good to go.
UGH! It never occurred to me that this was a full install of Reader and not just another incremental update. Once I realized that I knew ex
actly what to do.
Thanks for the help!