12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 1:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Video playback/audio issues

csmsalicrup

I've got kind of an off problem that's been occurring recently when I import files into premiere pro cs5. I am using an mpg4 file, and when I watch it in QuickTime it is fine. However when I pull it into premiere, funny things start to happen. The audio remains the same, and plays at the right speed; however the video goes crazy. It seems to play fine for a while, but there are sections of the video that randomly speed up/slow down. This video playback error is causing it to look like the audio is off, when it is really the video.

I tried bringing in the same file but as different versions. I have tried .mp4, .avi, and .mov, all of which yield the same results. I have done everything I can think of such as making new sequences, re-ripping files, updating drivers, changing frame rates, and a host of other things. I called adobe tech support but they couldn't seem to figure out the problem either. I have taken the files to other computers and they are having the same problem.

What could be causing the video to be altering its speed while playing regardless of file type, and across multiple machines?

• 1. Re: Video playback/audio issues
          Stanley Arthur Level 3

I don't know anything about your system but it sounds to me like it might be under-powered. Have you tried lowering the playback resolution to 1/2 or 1/4? Do you know how to do that from the Program Monitor?

Are you using a separate hard drive for video? Meaning, you do not want to put your media on the same hard drive as your operating system and applications.

The bottleneck you're experiencing could be caused by any number of things that deal with proper computer configuration for video editing.

• 2. Re: Video playback/audio issues
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What version of Premiere Pro? Have you installed the recent updates? What operating system? Has this ever worked before? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Tell us about your computer hardware. Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration? What happens if you render a preview file?

• 3. Re: Video playback/audio issues
              Claude1971

What is the proper computer configuration for Adobe video editing?  I find that as I use Premiere, AME, and Encore my system drive quickly fills with casche files even though I've told AME to store that cashe with the output.  Adobe acts like it is the only software you are running on your system - it is a resource hog (memory, hard drive, and CPU).

• 4. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                Stanley Arthur Level 3

Well that's a different topic, Claude. A good one! But different. I also want to know where the Windows 7 configuration recommendations are. And the OS drive filling up with cache files has been an issue for me, too. I tell ya what, you start a new topic and I'll chime in :)

• 5. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                  csmsalicrup Level 1

I've never had this particular issue before. CS5 is completely up to date as are all my audio and visual drivers. This particular issues seems to just have recently creeped up. I've tried adjusting the playback resolutions and rendering out the file, but the issue persists, and it doesn't stop with Premiere either. If I bring the Premiere files into Encore, the video issue is still there; however, if I just import the video straight into encore there are no problems. I haven't tried pulling the video off of the hard drive, but that will be the next step I take.

Last night I had several people take the files home and try them on their home systems. 3 of us run CS5 and 1 rand CS4 and they all came back saying that they were having the same problem. The file we are using is a rip from a VHS tape. Although the file plays fine in quicktime, is there a chance that the software we are using is encoding the video in a way that premiere can't handle? I feel like it might have something to do with the frame rates randomly changing but I can't say for certain.

Dell Inc. Studio XPS 8100
                  Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
                  Install Language: English (United States)
                  System Locale: English (United States)
                  Installed: 5/12/2010 10:59:26 AM

2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
                  32 kilobyte primary memory cache
                  1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
                  8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
                  64-bit ready
                  Multi-core (4 total)
                  Hyper-threaded (8 total)
                  8152 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240

• 6. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As it appears that you are on a PC, and are doing a capture from VHS, I would look into generating a DV-AVI Type II file w/ 48KHz 16-bit Audio, instead of the H.264. Does your software allow for that file generation?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      The file we are using is a rip from a VHS tape.

Could you be more specific?  Ripping is the term used when coming from a DVD or Blu-ray.  When sourced from VHS, the term is digitize.  Your statement could be using the wrong term, in which case we need to know how you digitized it to the hard drive.  (What equipment.)  Or if an accurate statement, meaning the VHS was transferred to DVD first, then what ripping software was used and at what settings?

• 8. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                        csmsalicrup Level 1

The way the company I am currently working for has their pipeline set up is as follows:

They have a room of macs and a room of PCs each with its own VCR hooked up. They are using something called Elgato (http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Video-Capture/product1.en.html) to create a digital file directly from the VHS tape. When I got here they had already decided to rip to .mp4 files, and so that is the file type I have been given. There are 50 of these .mp4 files that were made this way using 10 different computers. They bought a CS5 production suite for this PC and I was told to edit the files in Premiere and then bring the edited files from Premiere into Encore to make DVDs.

They are more a photo restoration company than a video production company, so normally they don't get a lot of video assets, but when they do, they are in bulk. So I'm assuming from this line of conversation they there is something way wrong with what they did before I got here, and that is why these files aren't working?

• 9. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

MP4 is not really an EDIT file... especially not when creating a computer file from VHS

From VHS to computer, you want a DV AVI file... which IS designed to edit in Premiere

Old forum discussion, message now gone, but here's the summary
                          Matt with Grass Valley Canopus in their tech support department stated that the model 110 will suffice for most hobbyist. If a person has a lot of tapes that were played often the tape stretches and the magnetic coding diminishes. If your goal is to encode tapes in good shape buy the 110, if you will be encoding old tapes of poor quality buy the model 300
                          Both the 110 and 300 are two way devices so you may output back to tape... if you don't need that, look at the model 55
                          http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc55 One Way Only to Computer
                          http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110 for good tapes, or
                          http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc300 better with OLD tapes
                          Or
                          ADS Pyro http://www.adstechnologies.com

• 10. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            They are using something called Elgato

They are more a photo restoration company than a video production company

Those are your two problems.  Drop that current hardware and use something designed more for professional use, like the ADVC110 from Grass Valley.  Redigitize everything as DV AVI files.

• 11. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                              csmsalicrup Level 1

thanks for your help everyone, I'm going to go talk to my employer and see what she wants me to do.

• 12. Re: Video playback/audio issues
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Before that meeting, you might get some tips from this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and I also recommend the Canopus/Grass Valley A-D "bridge" units.

Hunt