13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 11:55 AM by the_wine_snob

Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?

BJBBJB1 Level 1

With CS4 if you wanted to move from Pr Pro to Encore with a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track and a video track, you had to export, encode, etc. the audio and video separately and then re-marry them in Encore.  So you could not just use dynamic link to move to Encore as the 5.1 would not encode correctly. And of course any changes required you to go back and start over.

Does 5.5 fix this longstanding issue?  I can't believe that the bug has lasted this long....

And yes, I (and others) have reported it many times at the appropiate Adobe site.

It seems like if Adobe promotes the DD5.1 capability and the dynamic link capability they should work together.  This would really enhance the workflow if they did.

Thanks,
      BJBBJB1

• 1. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not heard, nor read of AME being able to directly access the SurCode DD5.1 SS plug-in.

If it does, that would be welcome news to me, as well, but considering what goes into this, I am not holding my breath.

Maybe Todd, or Kevin can fill us both in, as I could find nothing about AME being able to directly access the SurCode Encoder.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I can't believe that the bug has lasted this long....

I don't believe it is a bug.  Encore can only encode stereo Dolby Digital.  That's why you have to export 5.1 separately from PP, and even then only after you buy a third-party plug-in.

• 3. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
              BJBBJB1 Level 1

Jim,

Technically, you may be right....Good point.

However years ago back when I started using Pr Pro, let's just say their marketing material did not make that very clear.  They touted something like 5.1 "capability" or something like that, along with the dynamic link capability.  It sure sounded good till I tried and read the REAL small print! I guess they don't say anywhere those 2 features will work together, this is true.  Just as it is not clear that to get 5.1 you must buy a plug-in in addition to the software!

But I am pretty sure they still talk about DD 5.1 in their marketing.  And sending out all those e-mails about Avatar being edited in Pre Pro...I am sure most readers did not assume it was done in Dolby Stereo.

Anyway, whether a bug or not, that feature/bug fix should be made someday as DD 5.1 is almost assumed these days.  Why would they not support the link capability with it?  If Surcode went away I don't think Pr Pro/the suite would sell without some capability to encode DD 5.1.

BJBBJB1

• 4. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One option would be to add SurCode to PrPro, but with the licensing costs, that would run up the price of every copy, and some would certainly complain about that.

Next, the engineers would need to find a way to port AME to use the SurCode Encoder code, when DD 5.1 SS is selected. Not sure how difficult, or how easy that might be, once one got past the price aspect.

I understand how many are blind-sided, when they find out that they get 3 trial uses of the SurCode plug-in, and have to come up with several 100$'s to buy that.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Why would they not support the link capability with it?

Because the multichannel license costs a lot more than the stereo license.  That's why you pay nearly half the cost of the entire program for just that one feature, and why it's not included by default.

• 6. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                    BJBBJB1 Level 1
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JSS1138 wrote:

Why would they not support the link capability with it?

Because the multichannel license costs a lot more than the stereo license.  That's why you pay nearly half the cost of the entire program for just that one feature, and why it's not included by default.

Jim,

I more than understand the marketing and pricing implications. I just think if you do BUY the third-party DD5.1 plug-in you should get the same link functionality that the stereo plug-in that is included gives you.  I would assume many users of this higher-end NLE use DD 5.1 and therefore purchase the encoder separately.

Ironically, a $200 NLE I sometimes use provides the same functionality to 3rd party plug-ins that you get with the OEM-supplied plugins.

I don't understand why any user would not want the same link functionality once you purchase this plug-in which obviously has been the "go to" DD 5.1 encoder for this product for quite a while.  It's just a pain and adding the link capability would enhance the workflow.

BJBBJB1

• 7. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

My only guess about that is because you buy the plug-in for PP, not Encore.

Personally, I see Dynamic Link as an amateur's "big button" method of creating DVDs.  Many professionals, those likely to be needing the 5.1 license, will want better control and quality than DL provides.  There are several encoders out there which produce a better image than the MainConcept encoder Adobe uses.

• 8. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                        TradeWind Level 3

On the 5.1 issue, that is very odd that you wouldn't be able to  get 5.1 into Encore. I don't work with 5.1, but I try to keep aware of  the various workflows and it seems odd to me that this wouldn't be  supported in the app. Sounds like an issue that might have cropped up in  Encore DVD 1.0 when 5.1 support was first added to Premiere Pro  1.0...but 8 years down the line...?

It seems to me (try  for yourself) that you could still use Dynamic Link, but export your  audio track separately from PPro using the 5.1 audio. Then, use Encore  to find the transcoded audio track. This would be best done at the very  end, once you are done with all your edits.

Try that,  see if it works for you and let us know!

Personally, I see Dynamic Link as an amateur's "big button" method of creating DVDs

[John Madden] "Here's a guy who thinks there's only one way to skin a cat!"

There are many very fine tunable controls inside of Encore for encoding, not sure what is so "big button" about it. As for the Main Concept "not professional" argument, I'd say it's valid that most professionals who would want 5.1 are not using Premiere Pro's encoder in the first place. At the same time, the very high-end professionals aren't using Encore. At all.

There are many levels of need in the realm of the professional video producer - from weddings to corporate to indie film to major motion picture - and Encore (and PPro's) video encoding methods have turned out beautiful video after beautiful video for me. I'm sure I could get better final quality if I needed it by using a separate encoder. However, automatically bundling this for every user of PPro and Encore would be overkill for a good chunk of producers and would just add to the cost for EVERY single package. However, Adobe has allowed the full flexibility for people to choose their own encoder (keep reading) without being forced to pony up the extra funds it would require to include it in every license.

Here's the thing you're missing...Dynamic Link is so much more than just an encoding pathway...it's a workflow. You are quite free to use Dynamic Link to bring in your sequence from Premiere Pro, create all your chapters and sync everything together, and then use a completely separate encoder once your final disc is ready. That is why Encore includes functionality to link your timeline to already-transcoded files anywhere on your computer. By doing this, you have still taken full advantage of Dynamic Link and yet you have been able to use any encoder you choose for your actual final video.

• 9. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One of the issues with using ADL and DD 5.1 SS is that if one is doing the Transcoding in Encore, it only accepts the DD AC3 5.1 in pass-through mode. It will monitor only the stereo version, and not the DD 5.1 version, though it will write the 5.1 to the disc. I assume that this is a limitation in the Sonic Authorcore.

It would also seem that Minnetonka Audio would need to rewrite the SurCode plug-in to work with ADL. Might be easy, or maybe not.

I agree that the full DD 5.1 SS capability in ADL would be nice, but the current method is not a deal-breaker for me.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

There are many very fine tunable controls inside of Encore for encoding, not sure what is so "big button" about it.

Look at the options you have with HC Encoder, and you'll understand.

• 11. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                              TradeWind Level 3
                              Look at the options you have with HC Encoder, and you'll understand.

Very familiar with it.

Still wouldn't call Encore or AME "big button."

Big button (to me, anyway) indicates something like Nero, where you hit a button that says "Make DVD" or something along those lines.

Everything is on a spectrum, and Encore sits somewhere between the big boys (or HC Encoder if you want) and Nero. You cannot argue that Encore/AME's controls are anywhere near as simplistic as Nero, even if you want to point out that it's not as precise as something better.

Too much dramatization of facts. If you want to tell me that Encore is "big button" encoding, then how do you categorize programs like Nero.

"Really super big button"...? The words are beginning to lose meaning in such a limited contrasting.

• 12. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

I didn't mean to imply that Encore was a big button program.  What I meant was that I consider using Dynamic Link for disk creating akin to using a big button program.

You'll get more control, and better results, with external encoders.

• 13. Re: Does CS5.5 fix DD5.1 dynamic link issue?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  "Really super big button"...?

Maybe?

Easy_button.png

Hunt