3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 6:15 AM by Eugene Tyson

Text frame only shows a single line / always overset

imolloy

I have an InDesign CS 4 file that I'm trying to open in CS 5.5. When I try to edit the text in any text frame (e.g., in Story Editor), it tells me the text is overset and only displays a single line even though the field is clearly tall enough. Basically, it won't wrap the text onto the next line. In fact, trying to create a new text frame is always overset. It works correctly if I create a new document though.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Screen shot 2011-06-21 at 9.21.12 PM.png

• 1. Re: Text frame only shows a single line / always overset
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This means the frame is too narrow to hold the line, which can happen for a variety of reasons. IF text shows on the first line as you start to type, then disappears after a number of characters, you've got a setting that is preventing the text from breaking at the end of a line, possibly No Break applied to all text, or you have hyphenation turned off and are using non-breaking spaces (I see that a lot in imported Word files). If you never see any text, then it's probably an indent problem, either a frame attribute, or more likely the paragraph indent settings for the style or applied to the text as local formatting (saw that one the other day, also in an imported Word file).

• 2. Re: Text frame only shows a single line / always overset
            imolloy Level 1

I checked for non-breaking white space, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Further, if I copy a text frame to a new document everything appears correctly. Copying a text frame from a new document that works correctly to the existing (CS 4) file causes it to complain about being overset suddenly. So, does this suggest it's a paragraph breaking or indentation problem? Where do I find these settings? I haven't had much luck so far.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Text frame only shows a single line / always overset
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's so many variables. If you like you can host the file on yousendit and provide a link or PM with a link and I'll take a look at it.

It could be anything from oversized text, to Adjust Scaling Percentages, to keep options, to no break, to settings in the paragraph style, text wraps etc. etc. etc.