5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 8:40 AM by RjL190365

Problems with CUDA hack.

JoshTozer1993 Level 1
      Hi all,

Recently I bought the Lenovo Z560 Ideapad (See bottom of post for details) and the Adobe Masters collection 5.5 

I tried using the cuda hack to make my laptop compatible with Adobe Premiere, but unfortunately it isn't working

Here's the cards I added to the cuda_supported_cards.txt:

Nvidia GeForce 310M
      GeForce 310
      Nvidia GeForce 310M 1GB
      Nvidia GeForce 310
      GeForce 310M
      GeForce 310 1GB
      GeForce N11M-GE2
      Nvidia 310m
      Nvidia 310

Those are a mixture of what Windows & retailer told me, what Speccy & Adobe premiere inbuilt detector told me and me tpying variations to try to make it work!

I followed the CUDA hack steps correctly, please tell me what is wrong!

Laptop: Lenovo Z560 ideapad (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lenovo-Z560-ideapad-15-6-Intel-Core-i5-Win7-4G-500GB-/110652536 216?pt=AU_comp_laptop&hash=item19c367b598)
      Adobe Premiere: Cs5.5

Any response would help, cheers.

• 1. Re: Problems with CUDA hack.
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Run GPUsniffer.exe from the command prompt. The Name string will tell you the exact name to use, possibly something like "GeForce 310M" and the rest will tell you if it does support hardware acceleration.

22-6-2011 8-35-13.png

If it does not say that CUDA support  is available, you are out of luck. I have not yet seen a 310M in the database, so I don't know if it works

• 2. Re: Problems with CUDA hack.
            JoshTozer1993 Level 1

It told me N11M-GE2 which I have already entered.

On here it says it's supported by the CUDA hack.

EDIT: thanks for the response

• 3. Re: Problems with CUDA hack.
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Sorry, but the 310, which is not recommended by Dave, is not the same as the 310M. Anyway, even if it is CUPA capable and has 1 GB VRAM or more, it will be a marginal improvement, because of the extremely limited number of CUDA cores, only 16.

• 4. Re: Problems with CUDA hack.
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It is advertised with an nVidia 310M but with only 16 CUDA cores it is a terrible weakling.  My testing of a 9500 GT with 32 CUDA cores was 6 times slower encoding the PPBM5 MPEG2-DVD test than a 480 core GTX 480.

After considerable searching I did find this small portion of a nVidia drivers file which at least does reference this strange graphics card, but notice it also has a GeForce 310M.

NVIDIA_DEV.0A6C.01 = "NVIDIA NVS 3100M"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A6E.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 305M"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A70.01 = "NVIDIA N11M-GE2"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A74.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce G210M"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A75.01 = "NVIDIA GeForce 310M"

NVIDIA_DEV.0A78.01 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 380 LP"

• 5. Re: Problems with CUDA hack.
                  RjL190365 Level 4

With such a low-end GPU you might as well permanently lock CS5 into software-only mode. To do this you will need to undo the hack; otherwise, CS5 will start up in GPU-acceleration mode by default. The N11M-GE2 is so sluggish (it has only 16 CUDA cores) that any attempt of using GPU acceleration might result in corrupted videos. And with such a low-end GPU expect molasses-slow performance in encoding (more than two times slower than a higher-end GPU in both MPEG-2 DVD and H.264 Blu-ray encodes), not just rendering.