3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2011 10:48 AM by SomeGuy17

Toolbar Disappeared After Updates

pete54401

Yesterday I installed updates for Acrobat 8 and Reader X. After doing this I no longer have a Toolbar when I open a pdf in Reader. I restored my computer to a week ago, restored all IE8 Security and Advanced settings to default, reinstalled the Adobe updates and still no toolbar. I CAN display the toolbar with F8 but can't lock it at the top of the page and it won't open with the document. Have looked at settings in Internet, General and Page Display thinking the answer must be there but just can't figure this out. I even deleted and reinstalled the last week's worth of IE Security updates to see if that made a difference and it didn't. What am I missing and why did my setting change with the updates?

• 1. Re: Toolbar Disappeared After Updates
          SomeGuy17 Level 1

Hi pete54401,

You're not the only one experiecing this issue.

Before, there was a registry key to turn off the "floating toolbar".  When you turned off the floating toolbar in Reader X, you would see the toolbar docked.  This was not an issue in Adobe Reader 10.0.1, but since upgrading to the latest version of 10.1 released on June 14th 2011, this seems to be a problem.

The registry key to turn on the floating tool bar is located in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\bBrowserDisplayInReadMode = 0

The good news is that this turns off the floating toolbar, the bad news is it also now turns off the docked toolbar.  If you flip this bit to "1"  it turns on the floating toolbar and you can just click the Adobe Reader icon in that toolbar and it will turn off the floating toolbar and then you'll see toolbar become docked.

The bad news is that you'll have to do this every single time you open a new PDF file in IE.

This was not an issue in Reader 10.0.1, it's new to Reader 10.1.

I'm trying to package Adobe Reader X for a large hospital and we have over 20,000 customers that need this toolbar docked because they work daily printing PDFs with a docked toolbar in IE.

This is a new problem, hopefully they'll resolve it before the end of the year.  We've been waiting for a working version since February, it seems they fix one problem but it another one shows up.  I guess we will stay on versoin 9.3 until then.

• 2. Re: Toolbar Disappeared After Updates
            pete54401 Level 1

Thanks for the info. When I upgraded to Reader X and the floating toolbar came with it, I did find a way to get rid of the floater to have the tried and true 'docked at the top' toolbar but it took some effort and I don't remember just how I succeeded. So now, my choices seem to be, 1) tickle the registry but I'll still have to deal with the floater for every document, or 2) F8 every document which will display and dock the toolbar at the top of the page for that document but I'll need to do this every time I open a document, or 3) wait for Adobe to get their act together and fix an obvious problem. At this point in time, I'm going with option 2.

• 3. Re: Toolbar Disappeared After Updates
              SomeGuy17 Level 1

Yes, I had the floating tool bar gone and I had the tool bar docked in IE 7, but since moving to version 10.1, it's either you have the floating toolbar with the option to hit F8.  Or you can punch the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Reader\10.0\AVGeneral\ and set the bBrowserDisplayInReadMode key to "0". This will turn off the floating toolbar but unfortunatley it turns off the docked toolbar in IE7 as well.

Annoying!

As I said before, setting that key to "0" in the previous version 10.0.1 at least docked the toolbar in IE7. But not anymore.

The F8 option works fine "Within" Adobe Reader, but not IE7.