3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 23, 2011 12:08 AM by ghost zero RSS

Open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]

ghost zero Community Member

Anyone know how to open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]

• 1. Re: Open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]
          Wild_Duck Community Member

I understand that you can't. I've mentioned this before and got the feeling it was a) costly for Adobe to implement and b) they thought not many people needed it.

I keep meaning to make a list of things that use mp2 like radio playout systems, the Nagra field recorder, DAB files and so on so as to make more of a case. Any examples of mp2 need should be flagged up to Adobe.

I really don't understand this. mp3 encoders used to be required by definition also to support mp2, so I don't see how Adobe have managed to license a non-mp2 mp3 codec from Fraunhofer.

• 2. Re: Open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]
            Charles VW Adobe Employee

Wild_Duck wrote:

a) costly for Adobe to implement

To make the CS5.5 deadline, and with the cross-platform rewrite, we simply weren't able to get to some things on our list (not that we ditched the features or anything).   However, MPEG 1 Layer II, and MPEG 2 Layer II have their own royalty issues that we have to pay for.

Wild_Duck wrote:

b) they thought not many people needed it.

Not the case at all, we know many of our loyal radio customers need this functionality on a daily basis.   I do, however, have to admit that we saw this as less prevelant than .mp3 (when looking at our total customer base).

Wild_Duck wrote:

I keep meaning to make a list of things that use mp2 like radio playout systems, the Nagra field recorder, DAB files and so on so as to make more of a case. Any examples of mp2 need should be flagged up to Adobe.

Best thing to do would be to amass a set of test files such that if/when we support this, it can be more thoroughly tested in-house before we put it out the door.   I have a good set from various places, but we always get our best and trickiest test files from customers.

• 3. Re: Open / save .mp2 files in Audition CS5.5? [Not .mp3]
              ghost zero Community Member

i need .mp2 support to edit some crysis game audio files--which are .mp2 only.

are there any 3rd party addons that we can get for audition cs5.5 that will add .mp2 support?