8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 6:01 AM by EPSHG

Numbering Question in CS5.5

EPSHG

Hello,

I am trying to create a template for a report (and many others will need this as well), and I want to format my Table of Contents in a specific way.

I want to have my table of contents like this:

1. Entry 1
      2. Entry 2

2.1 SubEntry

2.2 SubEntry

3. Entry 3

3.1 SubEntry

3.2 SubEntry

3.3 SubEntry

4. Entry 4

I have been able to edit the number formula to at least count from a set number (I added in "2." in front of ^#, for example to get 2.1).  But, when I do this I have two major issues:

1. The numbers either continue from the previous ones (so I get 2.3, 2. 4), or they both restart (getting 2.1 and 2.1)

2. Also, this method isn't practical because the numbers aren't increasing completely, so I'd have to create a sub-Style for each entry.  This method wouldn't be impossible, but I want a cleaner method of doing this since my templates will be used elsewhere.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the entries numbered in the body of the document (in which case you should be able to include those numbers), or are you trying to create a new numbered list for the TOC?

• 2. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5
            EPSHG Level 1

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but basically, I am designing a template, so there are no files per se, so I am trying to create a style to use for the TOC and later on in the body.  Not sure if that answers your question.

• 3. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5

It doesn't.

TOC entries are based on paragraphs pulled from the documents. All paragraphs of an included style will be turned into TOC entries. THis means if your heading style inthe doucment itself is a numbered list, you don't need to do anything fancy for the TOC, just set it to include the numbers in numbered paragraphs. If your headings inthe documents will NOT be a numbered list, first, why wyould you want to number them in the TOC? and second, you wiil have to build the numbered list structure into new styles assigned to the various headings based on the styles they pull and the levels assigned to them.

You should read about numbered lists in the help files.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5
                EPSHG Level 1

AH, I see now.  Thanks for that clarification.

What I am trying to do, and ultimately have issues with, is setting a style to do the numbering with decimal points.  I started with this formula for section 2.

2.^# which would print: 2.1 (if starting at 1).  The problem is I want the style for this second tier numbering to be Section Number.New List value, and where section number is have that change to the section it is under.  Is it possible to create a style that would do this?

• 5. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5

Absolutely, though you do need to set things up correctly.I'm not an expert on setting up lists -- I almost never need them and tend to have to re-read the help every time. You should do that, too, and then, if you still have questions, come back. It would be OK to start a new thread at that time to discuss in detail the numbering structure you want to achieve, and I'm sure someone will be able to explain it for you clearly.

• 6. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5
                    EPSHG Level 1

I had used the help to get to the list formating, but I am a bit confused with the CS5.5 help function.  When I search a question, it seem to scan the internet for answers, which has been hit or miss.  I'll give it another perusal.  Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5

That's "Community Help" and it includes psotings here and elswhere, some of which can be great, others not so much, and it can be confusing and distracting at first. There's a checkbox on the search or results screen that allows you to limit the results to the actual help system to make it easier for the first round or two on a topic.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Numbering Question in CS5.5
                        EPSHG Level 1

Wow, thanks!  I didn't realize that.  I'll check the help files.  Thanks.