7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 12:18 AM by Karan Malik

Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8

dkasonjsa

Now that I've installed Adobe Reader 10.1 I'm unable to read or download pdfs in Safari. The screen simply turns grey. I've tried discarding it and reinstalling it numerous times, but no improvement. I've tried switching to Preview as my primary pdf reader, but some items say that Adobe Reader is required. I've tried following the instructions on Adobe's help page, which say to go to the Help menu within Adobe Reader and select Repair Adobe Reader Installation, but that item does not appear on the menu. Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8
          Karan Malik Adobe Employee

Hi,

To have a detailed analysis of problem you might be facing, please answer following questions:

1. Is the problem happening with all pdfs in Safari or a specific pdf file only?
          2. Can you try to drag and drop a pdf present in your system in Safari. Like normally a pdf ~/Downloads/About Downloads.pdf is present in the system. Try opening that in Safari.
          3. Are you able to open pdfs in Stand Alsone Reader X application, that is double clicking pdf in system
          4. What is the version of file /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/AdobePDFViewer.plugin
          5. Try opening /Library/Preferences/com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist. You can download a trial version of PlistEdit Pro to open this file. Can you see two keys ReaderInstallPath and WebBrowserUsePath. The values of these keys should be path to Adobe Reader application.
          6. If possible can you please re-run 10.1 reader installer. This will run in repair mode and see if it works again. Find installer here - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/mac/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/

Thanks,

Karan

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8
            dkasonjsa Level 1

Dear Karan:

Thanks for writing.

To have a detailed analysis of problem you might be facing, please 

answer following questions:

1. Is the problem happening with all pdfs in Safari or a specific 

pdf file only?

All pdfs.

2. Can you try to drag and drop a pdf present in your system in 

Safari. Like normally a pdf ~/Downloads/About Downloads.pdf is 

present in the system. Try opening that in Safari.

I didn't find an About Downloads.pdf, but I dragged another pdf 

formatted for Adobe into Safari and it opened as a blank grey page.

3. Are you able to open pdfs in Stand Alsone Reader X application, 

that is double clicking pdf in system

Aha: that seemed to work. From within Adobe Reader, I clicked on the 

same pdf I tried above and it did open.

4. What is the version of file /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

Adobe PDF Viewer 7.0.9

5. Try opening /Library/Preferences/

com.adobe.acrobat.pdfviewer.plist. You can download a trial version 

of PlistEdit Pro to open this file. Can you see two keys 

ReaderInstallPath and WebBrowserUsePath. The values of these keys 

should be path to Adobe Reader application.

I downloaded PlistEditPro, but I didn't find the file you refer to. 

Here are all of the adobe-related files in Library/Preferences:

com.adobe.acrobat.reader.plist

com.adobe.acrobat.sh.plist

com.adobe.ARM.plist

com.adobe.ESD.AUM.plist

com.adobe.ESD.AUM3App.plist

com.adobe.Reader.plist

com.adobe.Reader6.0.plist

com.adobe.Reader7.0.plist

6. If possible can you please re-run 10.1 reader installer. This 

will run in repair mode and see if it works again. Find installer 

here - ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/mac/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/

No luck here. I am able to download AdobeReader1010_en_US.dmg. But 

when I click on it I get the spinning pinwheel and, eventually, the 

message "server connection interrupted: ftp.adobe.com," prompting me 

to "disconnect."

>

Thanks,

Karan

>

I appreciate your help.

Robin

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8

Hi Robin,

Thanks for detailed replies to my questions. I think we are quite near to the solution here

• Do you have Acrobat installed. Any previous version? Or do you have any other version of Adobe Reader. For this check your applications folder. Reader X is present as /Applications/Adobe Reader.app whereas previous versions like 9, 8 or 7 are present in respective folders in /Applications like /Applications/Adobe Reader 9/Adobe Reader.app. If any such versions are present (for Reader only), you can trash them. Note: Do Not trash Acrobat.
              • Next go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and delete AdobePDFViewer.plugin file present there.
              • Since ftp is not working for you, go to http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/ and in Step 1 select OS as Mac OS Intel 10.5.8 - 10.6.7. In Step 2 select Language as English and in Step 3 select Reader X (10.1) English for Mac Intel. Now click download and save "AdbeRdr1010_en_US.dmg" to your hard disk.
              • Double click this downloaded file to mount it as disk image on desktop. Open this disk and Run Adobe Reader X Installer.pkg. This will install Reader X in /Applications/Adobe Reader.app
              • Go to /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ and now again check version of AdobePDFViewer.plugin. This should be 10.1 now, that is this plugin will now be owned by Reader X

Now try opening pdf files in Reader application and Safari. Hope it works.

Thanks,

Karan

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8
                dkasonjsa Level 1

Dear Karan:

Alas, the problem persists.

I do not have Acrobat installed or any other version of Adobe Reader. 

Do I need Acrobat? I followed all of the other steps, but the outcome 

was the status quo: I can open documents in Reader but not in Safari.

Robin

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8

Thanks for the reply Robin. No you don't need Acrobat for viewing pdf in Safari. Reader also has Safari plugin.

After following steps mentioned in previous post, can you tell me what is the version of file /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/

AdobePDFViewer.plugin. Is it now 10.1.

Also try completely quiting Safari and then reopen it again so that the plugin loads properly. You may also try restarting your system.

Thanks,

Karan

• 6. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8
                    dkasonjsa Level 1

It's working now! I think restarting the system might have done the 

trick. Many thanks for your patient assistance.

Robin

• 7. Re: Adobe Reader 10.1 won't work in OS 10.5.8

Hi Robin,

Good to know that the issue is solved at your end. You can now mark the answer and close this thread.

Thanks,

Karan