3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 4:36 AM by Ned Murphy

Need Help w/ Navigation to Frame Labels

nocturn917

Hi everyone,

This is a complicated explanation for what is likely a simple solution so i hope that I'm clear with this.

I'm trying work out the kinks with the navigation of my site's page  http://grdnbklyn.com/press.html .  I'm working on fixes to the FLA file.

As you can see, there are two groups of buttons -- 8 as list items and 8 as thumbnails --- that have the same purpose:  for two corresponding buttons (one list and one thumbnail to open one (or the same) MC).  The first set successfully  links to the NYTimes.com article using a URLRequest.  BUT in my FLA file, with the second set of buttons,  the list button successfully opens the  Movieclip (which has a Close button that directs teh user back the start of Scene One) but the thumbnail bbutton does not.  In face, once clicked it makes all the thumbnail unclickable. Here is some sample code on the first frame label called "home":

stop();

gaga_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, playVogue);
      function playVogue(e:MouseEvent):void {
           gotoAndStop("vogue");
      }

gagathumb_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, playThumbVogue);
      function playThumbVogue(e:MouseEvent):void {
           gotoAndStop("vogue");
      }

Since I'm using frame labels to navigate and wondering if the problem is that I'm writing the frame label "vogue" twice in my code. I'm stumped here.  I would attach my FLA or SWF but I can't figure out how to do so.  Can anyone help with this?

• 1. Re: Need Help w/ Navigation to Frame Labels
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

While it will be irrelevant to whatever your problem is, there is no need to have two function to do the same exact thing.  You can have the two buttons share the same function.

As for whatever the problem is, I am not able to get what it is from your explanation.  If I am attacking the correc buttons, both of them apparently want to open up a popup window, which I don't allow for.

If you are changing frames, then it is always possible that you are ending up somewhere where the the buttons no longer have code assigned to them.

• 2. Re: Need Help w/ Navigation to Frame Labels
            nocturn917 Level 1

Hi Ned,

I think I've overcomplictated my inquiry. So, I'll try to give a brief explanation this time.

I'd like two buttons to open a single MC. One button works and the other (the thumbnail)  doesn't work when initially previewing the swf. (it works only after it is  directed to the bext frame label.)

• 3. Re: Need Help w/ Navigation to Frame Labels
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My last sentence in the original response may still be applicable.  How do you have the code assigned relative to timeline locations?