7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 6:57 AM by Scott Chichelli
      • 1. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
        Harm Millaard Level 7

PPBM5 Benchmark

What you are contemplating is an utter waste of money with lousy perfomance. Even overclocked such a system is around 1.5 times slower than a fast system, that costs only a fraction of your system. Better spend the money on a good disk setup.

Check out the overview tab at the top of the forum page, might be some interesting material there.

Pairs of CUDA cards make no sense since PR does not support more than one GPU. Another waste of money.

3Ware cards are best avoided. Areca or LSI (the owner of 3Ware) are better choices.

• 2. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
          JoeKing123 Level 1

Where do you see the major clog? The CPUs or memory?

I figured the motherboard would be a strong candidate (isn't the SR-2 doing well on your PPBM5 list)

Thank you

• 3. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The CPU and mobo, plus all related components. If you are looking for a system that comes out with a score of less that 2 on the BFTB ("Bang-for-the-buck") chart, go ahead.

• 4. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
              JoeKing123 Level 1

Well, I certainly don't want a bunk system.

So, drop one of the GPUs and beef up the drives....check!

I see on the PPBM list an entry for "Harm's   Beast" - presumably that is yours?  And is that your current rig?

I guess the reason I was leaning towards the SR2 initially was because the Top 2 systems in the Overall list were based on it..however, those same two systems were sporting pairs X5680 which really ups the cost.

• 5. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Yeah, that's me. It is outdated, nearly retired and ready to be upgraded. Just waiting for the hardware to become available.

You don't have to overclock to Novak's level (I wonder if it is stable for editing) but either an i7-2600K with its PCIe lane limitation or an i7-970+ based system without the lane limitation may be better options if you want to get a BFTB-wise system.

• 6. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
                  RjL190365 Level 4

Joe,

What's more, the X5680's on those top two systems have also been heavily overclocked.

The problem with the E5645 is that it was designed for lower-power-consumption first, performance second. Even at its maximum stable overclock with a dual-CPU system using such a CPU, you'd still get performance that's merely competitive with a system based on a single stock-speed i7-990X or a single moderately-overclocked i7-2600K. Thus, in my book, dual Xeon E5645's are a near-total waste of money at this point.

• 7. Re: Can I get a critique on a proposed build?
                    Scott Chichelli Level 3

completely agree with whats said here and i have one of those top 2 systems.

you could get 2.8GHz 6 core Dual Xeons and get those up to about 3.8GHz

but i would have to say UNLESS you are doing uncompressed 4 4 4 you dont need a dual Xeon

nor do you need a raid controller.\

the other thing the duals are good at is Animation but it needs to be serious animation..

in other words i doubt you need that kind of system

you never mentioned codecs/workflow. without knowing that its near impossible to recommend a system

Scott

ADK