17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 6:07 AM by BobLevine

Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers

Gcrest

I called the Adobe Sales number 800-585-0774 on June 22, 2011 at around 2:30pm, to get more information on purchasing InDesign CS5.5. Even though this was the number for "direct sales" this was the only number I saw listed on the Adobe contact page where I could talk to a salesperson from Adobe. My intent was to ask about additional stores that sale Adobe InDesign CS5.5. I am familiar that Best Buy and Office Depot are resellers, but I wanted to get more information about who were additional resellers before I decide on purchasing InDesign this week.

The salesman who I talked to was named Gabriel. First, when I asked about other office/computer retail stores like Office Depot and Best Buy that sell Adobe InDesign, he said that I should not buy the product from a from these stores because I needed to know if I "qualify" for the price of InDesign. It was like he was saying that if I buy from a reseller, then they will not be able to tell me if I qualify for the InDesign price or for the software, whereas Adobe direct sales can tell me immediately if I qualify for a price and software. He used that term "qualify and not qualifying" when he spoke about why a person should buy directly from them/Adobe and not from a legitimate reseller. He added that Adobe did not want customers to buy the wrong product....I guess that was the reason for customers to listen to his advising on "qualifying". I don't know how one "qualifies" for a price, if the price for the software is already set. He also stated that there was not really any difference between the price you get directly from purchasing from Adobe and from the reseller. If the price varies little, then does it matter if we buy it from Adobe directly or from a reseller? I asked and stated this question two times during the conversation....if buying from a legitimate reseller like Office Depot and Best Buy was a bad idea...like what he seemed to be suggesting... then why does Adobe allow these stores to resell their software products? Didn't really get an answer on that.

Also, another thing that he did was to basically put down the software that I do have, software that I have enjoyed and have offered excellent quality to my business. I told him I am interested in the InDesign CS5.5 software for my small company's digital magazine. He said that I needed to get the InDesign CS5.5 Suite. I understand why he would say that, partially because you would get a pretty strong package with different software products that compliment the actual InDesign software. He mentioned Photoshop being in this suite package. I, however, said that I have a Mac computer that has iphoto, imovie, and other software that I will use as substitutes for now instead of getting a full InDesign Suite....so I just wanted to get the InDesign single software. Well, he directly put down iPhoto and said it was not good...not good enough quality. I used both PhotoShop and iPhoto, and iPhoto has been an excellent software for all of my multimedia work. I also have a lot of expertise with Mac products...and I have always enjoyed the quality and what they offered. These were just two of the major things that this sales person said that I felt was a bit on the condescending side. Adobe really needs to work on its sales tactics, and again, if it is so bad for this product to be sold by the office supply/computer resellers, then why allow them to do it?

• 1. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

He's clearly working on comission...

• 2. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
            Stix Hart Level 5

You seem to have correctly deduced yourself already that pretty much everything he was saying is BS!

• 3. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
              Gcrest Level 1

It was certainly not a comfortable phone call. I have the inDesign free trial now, and so far I like it. I am also looking at Quark Xpress among other similar publishing software. I just wish that Adobe would do a better job with handling potential customers and customers. I heard a lot of other complaints regarding customer service. Knowing that a place will have decent customer service is a make or break opportunity for Adobe, especially when it has to do with purchasing their products for business or work-related reasons.

• 4. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                Stix Hart Level 5

We only see complaints about their CS here (which BTW is a community of users, not Adobe employes in the main).

However for technical assistance you won't beat what you get with InDesign and this forum.

• 5. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From reading your post you seem to have got a few tidbits of lingo mixed up. And this along with talking to a rep and coming on here to explain your woes I can only guess there was some miscommunication and misunderstanding by both sides.

InDesign is by far the best layout program I have ever used.

• 6. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers

I can wholeheartedly say that Photoshop would be of more benefit than iPhoto.

Using Photoshop native file format of PSD best practice with InDesign.

The ability to make a PDF from Photoshop and have text layers, vector shapes and vector masks alone is a huge time saver and much better quality in print and multimedia (I assume mulitmedia here)

If you're looking into doing this seriously you should get the right tools for the job. These tools save you time in the long run and ultimately are an investment not an expenditure.

• 7. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                      Migintosh Level 4

The thing that popped into my head when you talked about qualifying for pricing could have had to do with getting a student version or a professional version (which are really the same software, but the student version is cheaper, but with some restrictions on using it), but I don't think that was really it. More likely he could have been talking about an upgrade vs. a new license. A full version is $699, but if you qualify (by already having an earlier version of InDesign), you can get for the same software for $199.

Now, I don't know that he was getting at that or not, but if you saw the two prices at Best Buy and opted for the lower (or if they only had the upgrade, which you maybe thought was the whole program for $199), only to find that you couldn't run it without an earlier version's serial number to plug in at installation, you'd be pretty pissed (as would I, in those same circumstances).

My 2¢

• 8. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                        Gcrest Level 1

@Migintosh: He never explained what qualify meant...even though I asked about what it meant. I asked him that I was a bit confused over what he meant by qualifying. He did not answer that question or give examples of what he meant. This conversation wasn't a very short one, it probably lasted a good 10-15 minutes...so there was time for the salesman to be clear about what he meant. My question is this, if you are going to advise me to not purchase a product from a reseller like Office Depot or others that are legitimate resellers....then why does Adobe allow for that to happen..why get resellers? He told me that I shouldn't buy from a reseller. As far as qualifying for a student version or upgrade pricing of InDesign....I have experience dealing with similar pricing options when I was looking for a Mac computer. The difference is that the Mac salesperson explained well what they offered in these pricing options (e.g., pricing for students, small business, or education institution),  and he spoke to me in a respectful manner. I did not get that from Adobe Sales. Again, customer service is key and explaining what you offer instead of a vague "qualify or not qualify" is another important thing. A person can take "qualify or not qualifying" in many different ways if it is not explained what it meant.

• 9. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                          Gcrest Level 1

@Eugene Tyson:

I understand that it is important to use software that is more compatible. Both Photoshop and iPhoto are great tools I have experience using both...I haven't used Photo Shop in a long time, but I have used it. iPhoto has served well in my multimedia work, as I produce videos, digital art exhibits, and also other music and art multimedia. All of these multimedia projects used iPhoto. What makes a multimedia project good or not most of the time is the quality of your photograph to begin with. If you put a messy photo into Photo Shop or iPhoto, then you will probably get a messy result. As far as the right tools to use for my magazine, I understand completely the importance of having the right and best tools. I also understand, and have experienced personally, that it has a lot more to do with "what you do with your tools or how you use your tools" than what kind of tools you use. I have seen people use less expensive or more basic software for creating media or multimedia work and their work was beautiful...because they had the creative edge to take what they had (maybe a less expensive software) and make something excellent out of it that looks like it would have been made from a more expensive software.

• 10. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                            Gcrest Level 1

@Eugene Tyson:

If there was miscommunication, it was on the salesman part. I asked and questioned what was meant by "qualify". I did not get an answer. I asked about resellers (Adobe allows for resellers), I got the answer that I should not buy from them. I told the salesman that I wanted to get InDesign but not the suite because I have software on my Mac that could substitute at this time...I was told that iPhoto was not good quality (even though it is of great quality). Any conversation I have professionally, I make sure I ask questions to get a straight answer. If I feel disrespected, then I express that to the person who is speaking to me in the way that is disrespectful. Again, customer service is key and explaining what you offer from the get go to avoid confusion is crucial as well.

• 11. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers

Try ringing again and see if you get someone different. Perhaps someone had a bad day, or was their first day? If you're not happy you can always ask to talk to a supervisor.

With your language you used "InDesign Suite" that doesn't exist. And I understand the salesmans point of view, "iphoto not great quality" and he's right, it's not as good as photoshop. He is there to sell. if you rang Quark sales and said well I tried InDesign you might be told that Quark is better quality.

It doesn't make it true. If you feel you aren't getting the right answers speak to a supervisor or ring back another time.

I had terrible problems with my phone network and I phoned up and the girl who's accent I couldn't even understand wanted me to go through a billion settings on my phone. I phoned back the next day as I was told there was a log made and to call back in 24 hours. I got a native speaker of English on the phone who said that no log had been made. He sorted out my network issue in about 5 seconds without me having to do any settings.

Sometimes you just get the wrong person. And misuse of terms like "InDesign Suite" and "I have subsittute programs", the guy wanted to sell you Photoshop and InDesign and Illustrator.

I'd agree with the sales person that the substitutes are inferior products. Perhaps what you have suits your needs. And the salesman had no reason to condemn what you were already using.

• 12. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                                Bo LeBeau Level 4

In your original post and also in post 10. you mentioned about only getting InDesign at this time because you had other software that works well.

It sounds like you only want the stand-alone version of InDesign for now but will consider possibly buying the Creative Suite sometime in the future.

Be aware that upgrade prices are only allowed for like versions. ex. stand-alone version of InDesign 5.5 can only be upgraded to the stand-alone version of Indesign 6 or 7 etc. You cannot get an upgrade price for a single application toward the purchase of the Creative Suite with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Likewise, if you buy the Creative Suite you cannot only upgrade a single application.You have to upgrade the whole Creative Suite.

Single program = Upgrade to newer version of same single application

Creative Suite = Upgrade to newer version of the Creative Suite,

In all other circumstances you will have to pay full price because you don't qualify for the respective upgrade prices.

So once you decide to either buy single applications or the whole suite you are sort of locked in to their respective upgrade options.

• 13. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Bo LeBeau wrote:

You cannot get an upgrade price for a single application toward the purchase of the Creative Suite with InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Incorrect. While the discount is not nearly the amount of suite to suite upgrade there is a discount.

Likewise, if you buy the Creative Suite you cannot only upgrade a single application.You have to upgrade the whole Creative Suite.    

This is correct, but worth noting that you are not locked into the same suite. You can upgrade Master Collection CS4 to Design Premium CS5.5 if you want to.

Bob

• 14. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                                    macinbytes Level 4

I'd call a sales manager there and tell them your thoughts on it.

What was your previous software you were producing your digital magazine with? If the answer is Quark you could probably stick with that and be happier still.

If you aren't doing anything amazing with photo editing and iPhoto cuts the mustard, keep it. Illustrator has a few things throughout the years that I've grown fond of, but I can't say there is a thing since Photoshop 7 that I need in 12. If you are happy with iPhoto you could sink $80 into Aperature if you need more, or pixelmator for that matter.

Either way if you aren't in it now and don't need to I'd just hold off on CS6. Certainly no reason to buy the suite if you don't need full blown Acrobat, Illustrator, and can get by without Photoshop.

Also he could just be pissed off that Best Buy and Office Depot sell standalone InDesign. I can't even buy it through CDW or Amazon that I know of. I'd go standalone if I were you.

• 15. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers

macinbytes wrote:

I can't even buy it through CDW or Amazon that I know of. I'd go standalone if I were you.    

Sure you can: http://t.co/fMWyOs2

In fact, Amazon, as far as I can tell is the best place to buy software. Great prices, free shipping and no sales tax in most states.

Bob

• 16. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers
                                        macinbytes Level 4

Couldn't find it via google on Amazon. Still can't find it on CDW. Still can't find a single copy on CDW boxed, but can get through volume licensing.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/software-titles/adobe-creative-suite-cs5.5.aspx

All the links on the side are good other than InDesign for the big Adobe titles.

Amazon probably is good, but I've got an aversion to it from buying music and books years ago.

• 17. Re: Adobe Sales Team Puts Down Office Supply/Computer Resellers

Revisit it. It’s my first destination for buying anything.

I just built a new computer and bought all the parts from there.

Bob