4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 9:31 AM by NormGreen3

Repeated Error Message with Adobe Reader after opening up PDF files

NormGreen3

After experiencing this problem, not being that computer savvy I figured I'd remove the existing Adobe Reader from my computer and download a new version in the hopes of eliminating the problem. When I do so, I get message "The patch package could not be opened. verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer Patch Package."

• 1. Re: Repeated Error Message with Adobe Reader after opening up PDF files
          Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Could you please let me know the following:

1. What version of Adobe Reader was already installed on your system.

2. What is the OS that you are using.

3. How is it that you removed the existing installation from your computer.

4. What is the version of Adobe Reader that you are trying to install now.

Thanks

Ankit

• 2. Re: Repeated Error Message with Adobe Reader after opening up PDF files
            NormGreen3 Level 1

Ankit,

Here are my responses as best as I can address them:

1. Adobe 10.0.1

2. I believe it is Windows XP

3. I was unable to remove the existing Adobe version because of the "patch

package could not be opened......" I believe i may have inadvertently

downloaded this patch via www.secunia.ocom "Personal Software Inspector"

program (Untitled (1)).. Using the older version alone when opening up PDF

documents resulting in their closing and my getting an error message

("Untitled and Untitled (2))..

4. I was able to successfully download Adobe 10.1.0. However, it won't allow

me to download required updates.

As a result of this mess, I have the 2 versions of Adobe on my computer,

which is allowing me to open up PDF files on my computere.

Again, I'm not terribly computer savvy. I'm simply trying to find a way to

remove the old version and work with the new version.

Hope this helps, as I'm stumped. Thanx for your assistance.

Norm Green

• 3. Re: Repeated Error Message with Adobe Reader after opening up PDF files
              Ankit_Jain Adobe Employee

Hi Norm,

Can you please  try once using the Microsoft's Cleaner Utility. Though its not supported by Microsoft anymore (since it interferes with Win7 registries),  it does do the job for most of the corrupt installations. You can  download the same from:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

After having removed the corrupt installations on your system, can you try and install Adobe Reader 10.1.0 from:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

I would advise you to download any and all Adobe installers directly from the Adobe site and not from any 3rd party sites.

Thanks

Ankit

• 4. Re: Repeated Error Message with Adobe Reader after opening up PDF files
                NormGreen3 Level 1

Ankit,

Well I downloaded the Windows Cleanup Utility and removed the older Adobe

Reader software and updated the new version. So thank you very much for your

much needed assistance. If only I was learned enuf to do these things on my

own!

As long as I have your attention, perhaps you can help with another major

problem plaguing my computer, insufficent memory that fluctuates between 36

and 45%. I'm certain this is effecting the slowness of my computer. I'm not

quite certain how to correct this problem without the possibility of doing

harm. I don't know if it's related, but I'm presently using the System

Mechanic Utility and it's disclosed many duplicate, triplicate

files/folders. Again, given my lack of savvy, I'm not sure which ones should

be removed and whether this is effecting the low memory.

Thanx for your easy to understand thoughts.

Norm