2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 10:24 AM by LMtanguera

Export Book to PDF does not honor chosen PDF preset

LMtanguera

When I choose "Export Book to PDF" from a book panel in InDesign CS4, and select an Adobe PDF preset, the resulting PDF has downsampled images even though my preset specifies no downsampling for images of 300ppi or more.

No downsampling occurs when I export each book document to PDF through the File menu.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Also, when I print a book, linked Illustrator files with status of OK are rendered like low resolution screen previews if they are not in the first document.

• 1. Re: Export Book to PDF does not honor chosen PDF preset
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've never seen this. It sounds like ID thinks the links are missing or out of date and is using the previews. Have you run Preflight on the Book?

Is there any possibility that you have more than one copy of the included docs, and you are updating the wrong copy? This can happen when you do something like make a copy of a book and the iincluded documents, then work from the copy of the book. It still points to the original files, not the copies.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Export Book to PDF does not honor chosen PDF preset
            LMtanguera Level 1

I ran Preflight on both books and found no issues, no missing or modified links. I don't have any copies of the documents in the books, so that's not it.

But you did point me in the right direction. InDesign was not checking the links before exporting or printing books.

If I go to Preferences > File Handling and select "Check Links Before Opening Document" and "Find Missing Links Before Opening Document" InDesign exports/prints the links instead of the previews. Problem solved! Thanks.