5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 10:21 AM by adninjastrator

Flash works on everywebsite, except my own

Neon_Samurai

ok so i decided to update my  website and make it in flash for interactivity and flashyness, i made a  test page and uploaded it and it worked fine

about 10  minutes ago i upload a second page with a new test file on it to test  transitions and suddenly im being told i need to update my flash player,  even though i have the latest version

in internet  explorer just a white box appears and never loads, this happens with  everyone i send the link to, the same for my error, this only happens in  fire fox

internet explorer: movie never loads

google chrome: same error

firefox: shows a small button to update flash but to no prevail

im using windows 7 64bit

Firefox 3 32 bit not 64 (even if it was 64, every other website i access works)

flash player 10

also im using flash CS5, AS2 and ive tried compatability from flash 8 through 10, nothings a winner

anyone got any suggestions as to why only my SWF wont load?

the movie file has a pre-loader and with only 2 external images the file is tiny so there should be no load time

and for anyone who wants to see if it works for themselves, the website is www.brendaportfolio.co.uk and www.brendaportfolio.co.uk/test.html

• 1. Re: Flash works on everywebsite, except my own
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There could be a few problems working against your files appearing.

Since the swf appears to get targeted via a distant folder (../flash site/SWF's/Flash Site (test).swf), if the file loads any other files, then you could have targeting issues.  Any files your swf loads need to be targeted in the swf as if the swf is sitting in the same folder as the html page that embeds it.

Your target paths for the swf's include a number of inadvsiable characters.  Avoid using blank spaces, parentheses, apostriophes, etc... in any file/folder name you use for web content.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Flash works on everywebsite, except my own
            Neon_Samurai Level 1

hi ned,

i tried this and it seems to have had a better result, the main page is showing the SWF properly but the test page is still not liking what its doing, it appears but it just appears white, i thought an SWF saved all image information into itself so it was completely standalone? im not targetting or calling in anything in the flash file, only images which have been imported into the scene

• 3. Re: Flash works on everywebsite, except my own
              adninjastrator Level 4

I would say that it's the "embedding" method you are using that is the problem, not something wrong with the .swf itself nor does it actually require the pluggin upgrade to display. Direct download and test for yourself:

http://www.brendaportfolio.co.uk/Flash%20Site.swf

now there is a blank space in the file name_which_is_a_no_no. Replace the space_with_an_underscore.

First link using this version of swfobject:

<param name="swfversion" value="8.0.35.0" />

Second link is using a newer version of swfobject and that's why it's asking for an upgraded Flash player:

<param name="swfversion" value="11.0.0.0" />

Test this alternate method of placing your .swf on the page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
              <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
              <head>
              <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
              <title>Flash Test</title>
              </head>

<body>

<object data="Flash Site.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="1000" height="600">
                <param name="movie" value="Flash Site.swf">
                <param name="quality" value="high" />
                     <param name="wmode" value="opaque" />
              </object>

</body>
              </html>

Create a completely new Web page, this is complete code for the entire page. It is to test an alternate embed method, not neccessarily to style or center the page or anything like that.

Be sure that if you change the file name, change the code to reflect that also.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 4. Re: Flash works on everywebsite, except my own
                Neon_Samurai Level 1

that solved it, so i guess it was the embedding itself?

can you explain the difference in what i had to what you told me to use? just so i know why it worked

thanks for your help!

• 5. Re: Flash works on everywebsite, except my own
                  adninjastrator Level 4

The embed method in CS5 is apparently now using .swfobject to get the latest version of Flash pluggin, NOT simply the version to required to display the particular .swf.

For the long explanation read my post here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/868555?tstart=0

down the page a ways. I used your site as an example in the explaination so you may find it especially interesting.

It would be helpful to others if you jumped in on that post and let them know that in your case the pluggin version issue was the cause of the problem and how you fixed it.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator