5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 3:22 AM by RorohikoKris

Adobe InDesign editing options for client?

mathyoo

I have a client who wants to be able to create their own in-house documents, mostly postcards, flyers, etc. I can design and build them in InDesign, but is there an easy, inexpensive solution for them to be able to use that as a template, instead of purchasing a full version of Adobe InDesign? Currently they're using Publisher, and since I'm on a Mac, I can't create templates for them to use. InCopy sounds interesting, but the documentation on the Adobe site is so marketing driven that it's tough to tell what InCopy can actually do.

• 1. Re: Adobe InDesign editing options for client?
          John Hawkinson Level 5

I think the answer is No.

You can download the InCopy trial and test it out, but basically it is just about editing text [that may be in an InDesign text frame]. So there is no way they could move around objects on a page in those templates (other than if it was a big text frame and they hit return a bunch of time, or messed with space before/space after, or really advanced table usage).

You could do something whacko like build them a template, save them a PDF for proofing purposes, and then export as XML. They could then edit the XML in whatever they want and send it to you, and you could reimport the XML into your template and it would magically update. It's hard to believe this would be worth the trouble.

I suggest you have them install the 30-day trial of InDesign and see if it works for them.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe InDesign editing options for client?
            mathyoo Level 1

That's unfortunate. You would think that Adobe would develop a product like "InDesign Lite" that would let clients do some basic editing without the full features of InDesign, like having editable regions similar to Dreamweaver. Just about every client I've ever had over the past two decades wants to be able to do something similar, and they all end up with Publisher and creating really ugly material.

• 3. Re: Adobe InDesign editing options for client?
              John Hawkinson Level 5

It's hard for me to imagine what functions you would omit from such a restricted version of InDesign.

You could perhaps do something with fillable PDF forms.

• 4. Re: Adobe InDesign editing options for client?
                Stix Hart Level 5

mathyoo wrote:

You would think that Adobe would develop a product like "InDesign Lite" that would let clients do some basic editing without the full features of InDesign, like having editable regions similar to Dreamweaver.

They do but unfortunately it costs the same as InDesign and has the same name too!

Seriously though you can design something up nice and then port it over to Word or Publisher so they can edit have a look at this here and think laterally.  Yes they will pay more for you to do that than if they had and could use InDesign, No it is not OK for them to whine about that.

• 5. Re: Adobe InDesign editing options for client?
                  RorohikoKris Level 2

Not sure, but maybe our StoryTweaker might be what you're after.

http://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/2009/03/25/storytweakertextedits/

It's even more limited than InCopy in many respects, and only allows text editing - its main aim is to help translation of documents to different languages.