16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2011 1:00 PM by the_wine_snob

Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording

pdfjanet Level 1

Hello,

I've read everything I can find, including numerous websites, the help file, and a book, but can't find this answer with step by step instructions using Premiere Elements 9.

I have the trial version, and will purchase once I figure this out. I only need to make Youtube videos with a separately recorded audio file replacing the audio that is already on the video. in other words,  I have a separate Mp3 audio file of the same audio performance using an audio recorder and I want to replace the audio on the original video with the other Mp3.

What are the steps involved to make sure the new audio is in synch with the audio already on the video, beginning with the original recordings and working through to the finished product?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's really pretty simple:

1) Place your video on the Video 1 track on the Timeline.

2) Right-click on the clips on the timeline and select Remove Audio.

3) Place your new audio/music on the Soundtrack audio track. (Hold down the Ctrl key as you add the audio to override the Ripple function of the timeline.)

I've got step-by-step instructions for virtually every tool in the program in my books, by the way. They're available on Amazon.com and at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

And, to get your feet wet, I've got a free 8-part Basic Training tutorial series.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

Muvipix.com is, by the way, a great site for how-to tutorials and tips. Many of the tutorials, articles, DVD templates, movie and music clips are free, and even more are available with a subscription to the site. They've also got a great Community Forum where you can get virtually any question answered absolutely free.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
            the_wine_snob Level 9

To add to Steve's instructions:

• MP3's can be problematic, though not always. Converting to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, with a program like the free Audacity has always worked perfectly. This ARTICLE will give you a little background on this. MPEG Audio, of which MP3 is one, can also cause OOS (Out Of Sync), but conversion to PCM/WAV has always fixed these.

• Though it's easy for a separate audio recorder to run at the exact same crystal speed, as a camera, the mfgrs. seem to not really care that much, so it is common to have a slightly different speed for the audio source file. This can lead to dynamic OOS, and it might take some experimenting to get it 100% perfect. However, once one has done the experiments, they can use the same adjustment all of the time. One would use the Time Stretch(Rt-click>Time Stretch) on the Audio Clip to correct it to the camera. As an example, one user found that his Zoom recorder needed to be adjusted at 104% of (or a + 04% increase in speed) to match his cameras. Once the correction factor has been determined, it can always be applied to correct the OOS. For other OOS issues, this ARTICLE will give you tips. When using other Audio sources, it will tell you how to easily sync up with the Video.

• In PrE, some users have had issues, when placing replacement, or supplemental Audio on the Narration, or Soundtrack (the two fixed Audio Tracks) Track, and to get around those problems, should they occur, just placing the Audio onto an empty "regular" Audio Track always seems to work 100%. We've never been able to find what the causes of these issues are, but when they do crop up, just move the Audio Clip to a regular Audio Track.

Good luck, and hope that you enjoy PrE.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For new PrE users, I recommend this list of learning resources - many by Steve Grisetti: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/800455?tstart=30

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                pdfjanet Level 1

Steve, the book I read was yours - Multipix Guide to Premiere Elements 9. Did I miss these instructions somehow?  It seems that this would be a common question, but I couldn't find the answer there.

Janet

• 5. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                  pdfjanet Level 1

Hunt, very helpful suggestions. I do have the Zoom H2 and have the option to record as WAV file instead of Mp3.

I'm excited and can't wait to try this out. Thank you.

Janet

• 6. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm not Steve, but will offer my thoughts:

• Most PrE users are using the Audio from their cameras, and fewer are using separate devices, though I am seeing more and more of this.
                    • Most PrE users are not doing "music videos," but again, I am seeing more and more of that in this forum.
                    • There is probably no way that an author can cover all possible uses of a program, like PrE, even if they did a three-volume release. There are just too many possibilities. Perhaps Steve should think about doing a companion book to his great Tips & Tricks, along the lines of "Really Advanced Uses for PrE?"
                    • If Steve covered everything possible, we wouldn't have much to do in the forum...

Glad that you do have Steve's PrE book. If you decide to go with PrE as your NLE program, considering what you are doing, I would add his Tips & Tricks book too, as you will very likely benefit from the gems in it.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                      pdfjanet Level 1

PS Steve, forgot to say thanks!

• 8. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                        pdfjanet Level 1

Hunt, I hope I didn't seem dismissive of Steve's book - I did think it was very good and am glad I purchased it. I just wasn't able to figure out the answer based on what was in it.

I guess I have seen so many music videos on Youtube by fellow musicians that I didn't realize it was an advanced question. The other separate device (other than Zoom)  I will be using is my Tyros 4 arranger keyboard, which has built in ability to record and mix.

At present, there don't seem to be many books on version 9, so I'll be watching for more in the future.

Thanks again.

Janet

• 9. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Hunt, I hope I didn't seem dismissive of Steve's book - I did think it was very good and am glad I purchased it. I just wasn't able to figure out the answer based on what was in it.

I did not take your comment as dismissive in any way, and highly doubt that Steve did either. I do not have his newer version book, but only some older ones, or I would have grabbed it and checked to see if he DID cover this material in it, just maybe buried in another topic. My comments were pure speculation, as what you are doing is not "mainstream," though is becoming more so monthly.

For my PrPro (slightly older version), I have the printed manual (yes, they used to do those), the Adobe Classroom in a Book, plus several other volumes dedicated to it, and even the print-out of the Help File PDF. Still, I, and other users are always coming up with some use, that is not covered anywhere!

One of the recent changes to the Help File in many Adobe programs, is that it is now a live On-line document, and there are engineers, who do little but update and add to that. This was almost impossible with printed material (though I still have my old ring-binder for the original WordPerfect, and monthly, they used to send me new pages to either add, or replace - long time ago).

When I am working in the forums, I usually have the particular program open and in front of me, as I am always coming up against questions, thinking, "wow, I would never have thought of doing that," and having to duplicate the actions that a poster outlines, or experimenting to find if what they want is possible. Often, when I do one of the experiments successfully, I'll add an article on doing it, to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum here. One example of that was "Fading a Title Crawl," which turned out to be both fun, and relatively easy, when I got into the experiments.

I have a stong feeling that Steve will have a bit more "music video" instruction in his next PrE book, as it is becoming more popular, as evidenced by the number of posts that we are seeing lately. More folk are doing that. Same thing for shooting with what were considered non-standard cameras, just a few years ago, like various smartphones.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                            pdfjanet Level 1

Hunt, fortunately, I've been a user of Adobe products, including Photoshop and Acrobat Pro, since the late 90s, and am familiar with the Classroom in a Book series.  When considering what to purchase, I chose Steve's book first  and I also plan to purchase the Classroom in a Book for Premiere 9 as well.  I've always found the Help file to be rather limited, and so almost always turn to additional resources for Adobe products.

Thank goodness for people like you and Steve!

Best, Janet

• 11. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Janet,

I've also been a CiaB fan for many programs and over many years. The CiaB Premiere Elements is a new one, and I have not seen that yet, though did mention it in the Resources article, based on my previous experiences with that series, plus many forum users' reviews of it.

Now, I have copies of many of Steve's books, though not his PrE 9 volume, and really like the way that he organizes them, plus his writing style. I find that he does cover so much of what is possible, and also how to accomplish it, in easy to follow steps.

I do like the exercises in the CiaB series, but as an example, while I have the CiaB for Encore, I have an even better book, Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, by Jeff Bellune, which has no CD/DVD, but is the ultimate guide to that program - far better, and more in-depth, than CiaB Encore. Even though Encore is now up to CS5, Jeff's older book is still viable, and I constantly recommend it. I find Steve's PrE books to be very, very similar to Jeff's, and that is why I like them so much.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording

Thank YOU for supporting the book, too!

• 13. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                                  pdfjanet Level 1

Does anyone have any familiarity with this resource by lynda.com, and if so, what is your opinion of it? Worth the money?

http://www.amazon.com/Premiere-Elements-9-Essential-Training/dp/1596716894/ref=sr_1_12?ie= UTF8&qid=1308854120&sr=8-12

Janet

Message was edited by: Janet Stevenson

• 14. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording

Lynda.com is the best tutorial site in the world. It's a bit pricey -- but worth every penny, if you take full advantage of it.

Muvipix.com is much cheaper, and is more focussed on consumer programs, like Premiere Elements, though. So it's worth a look too.

• 15. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                                      pdfjanet Level 1

I remember when lynda.com site was first started. They used to concentrate just on web graphics, and I sometimes took issue with some of Lynda's advice. But that was a long long time ago, so I guess things have changed a lot since then.

J

• 16. Re: Replacing audio track with and synching with separate recording
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have several Lynda.com books, mainly Dreamweaver and Flash, but the tutorials get very high marks from people in all of the Adobe product forums, that I frequent. Almost every time that someone asks for video training, Lynda.com gets mentioned, and often by Adobe employees. As I am more of a "book person," I have not really looked too deeply into the video series, beyond the tutorial DVD's, that used to ship with some of the programs.

Good luck,

Hunt