3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 6:53 AM by Szalam

Compositing for TV vs. the web

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello all,

Since I am a self taught AE user, there are some areas which I'm not to sure about.

I was reading a course outline for an Intermediate AE class and they mentioned teaching compositing for the TV vs. for the Web.

Can anyone explain the difference.

Using CS4 on a Mac

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Compositing for TV vs. the web
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The big difference: TV has restrictions on the brightness, darkness and color saturation of an image.  That's because TV sets (including video monitors) don't work the same as computer monitors.  To be immediately deliverable for TV, an AE Practitioner has to keep these differences in mind.  Digital HD broadcasting has eased the limitations a bit, but not entirely.

You may have read about AE users' confusion over using color profiles.  Now, applying a color profile is NOT the same thing as policing luma and chroma: not in the least.  But at least it may give you the notion that doing stuff for TV would be something other than business as usual for a web guy using AE.

And here's the fun part: because broadcasters don't use a standard set of equipment, the delivery requirements for an AE practitioner can vary if he/she delivers to various broadcasters. 

So as a guy who works at a TV station, I'm thinkin' such a course could save a web guy a lot of grief.

• 2. Re: Compositing for TV vs. the web
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

OK, I think you're talking about making sure that colors are broadcast safe.  But if one is compositing only for the web, does it benefit any to make sure that colors are broadcast safe.  In Color Finesse there is the Limiter module and in Premiere and AE there is also a Broadcast colors plug-in that do the job

• 3. Re: Compositing for TV vs. the web
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your project is only going to be viewed on computer screens there is absolutely no reason to worry about broadcast-safe colors.