4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 7:15 AM by Maciej_ca

How do I set up a project for ProRes? All presets seem to be for digital.

msp1518 Level 1

This is in addition to the topic I posted earlier about ProRes on a PC.

When setting up a newproject under ProdPremium, all the presets are for a variety of digital cameras. Nothing there seems to be for ProRes. Does this matter?

Today I finally have my scanned negatives back, but they were delivered to me ProRes, which is not what I asked for. Oh well. I need to get to work. So the screens below are what we see when we are getting ready to rock and roll, but nothing is for what I need. What do I choose?

I have Super 8mm footage scanned at 1080p ProRes (shot 24fps) to edit with. I will want to have a 5.1 track.

Editing on CS5 ProdPremium, Premiere Pro, of course.

Like my other questions, once I know how to do this once, i will not have to ask again. I DID search before coming on in. I promise.

Then there is the question of, once my editing is done, will I have trouble creating my final master since I am on a PC? No idea.

• 1. Re: How do I set up a project for ProRes? All presets seem to be for digital.
          shooternz Level 6

On a  PC you wont have ProRes preset but you should be able to read and edit it no problem.

(You may need to have QT Pro installed)

Open a  Project blank  ie no preset.

Import your footage and drag a clip onto the NEW ITEM ICON at the bootm of the Project Window

That should open a suitable matching sequence.  Rename it as XXXX edit sequence. It will be named as per your clip otherwise.

• 2. It's uncompressed QuickTime - not ProRes - My Bad!
            msp1518 Level 1

Opening a project without presets... Okay, I think I was able to do that. Never tried before. I seem to have it going now.

Now, to clear up a mistake on my part. The footage is NOT ProRes. The invoice said proRes and when i tried opening it in QuickTime, it brought me to the webpage for the addons. So I assumed proRes.

Turns out it is QuickTime Uncompressed 10bit 1920x1080 (4X3 Super8 footage is in center of 16x9 frame).

Question is, can I edit my project using the uncompressed QuickTime files I have been provided? 24 minutes of footage equaling almost 200GB of data.

Eric at Lightpress said I would likely need to encode to something else for editing and then, when I am done, go back to the uncompressed.

However, so far CS5 is not crashing. Maybe I have the horsepower with my 3.4ghz i7?

Thanks, all.

• 3. Re: It's uncompressed QuickTime - not ProRes - My Bad!
              shooternz Level 6
              However, so far CS5 is not crashing. Maybe I have the horsepower with my 3.4ghz i7?

If you can edit it smoothly...you are good to go.

• 4. Re: It's uncompressed QuickTime - not ProRes - My Bad!
                Maciej_ca Level 1

Uncompressed footage is generally less processor intensive then compressed footage, what it does neeed however is fast disks.

If you are working on a striped or Raid 5 drive you should be ok. I would expect some chugging on a 7200 RPM drive.

If you fidn you need to compress after all, use soemthing like ProResLT, you can compress your footage to it using Adobe Media Encoder.

After that do a quick test of how you will conform your uncompressed footage for the final.

Goos Luck