8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 6:55 AM by chughes133

CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename

chughes133 Level 1

Hello,

I've run into a problem where when I export to epub, whilst working with a book file, a paragraph styles respective class name is changed.

so for this instance, I have a paragraph style called "target class" which then gets exported to "target-class" normally. this is how the export works when exporting an individual indd file. However when exporting the book, each successive indd file will rename the style. So the first will have "target-class" but the second will gave "target-class-1" third "target-class-2" and so on and so forth. This didnt happen in cs4 or cs5 and its pretty damn annoying. There are also lots of other little tweaks to the export that have created alot of problems for me. like how indesign likes to incorporate lots of information in the HTML when I know perfectly well what I want and do so in the css. there should be a way to turn some of that off.

ANYWAY, anyone have a solution for this problem, or will I simply have to slug through and redifine the name in the paragraph style export dialogue options.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Have you synchronized the styles across the book?

Bob

• 2. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
            chughes133 Level 1

Hi Bob,

Yes I did so moment before. Sorry i forgot the mention that.  I thought that might be the cause as well, that it was trying to account for different definitions of the style but such is not the case.

• 3. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
              Iain Robinson Level 1

So, just to be clear - have you defined a class name & tag in "Export Tagging" (in the "Paragraph Styles Options" and "Character Style Options" windows) for all your styles in one document and then synchronised the whole book using that document as the source? That should stop ID CS5.5 doing what you describe in the ePub.

• 4. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
                chughes133 Level 1

Hi yes I'm aware of this solution. However that doesnt solve my problem. I only have 15 styles for this publication so its quite simple. However in a more complex publication with more indd files, having this error pop up would be quite a nuisance. Secondly, I dont know WHY it is making this change to the style. My body text doesnt do this. nor all the other styles in the publication. So what im wondering is what the origin of the problem is, and how to solve it.

EDIT:

Secondly! if DW actually had a decent search engine like Indesign, this problem would be ridiculously simple. however since it doesnt, its not. Damn inconsistency.

• 5. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
                  Iain Robinson Level 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your problem but making sure all your styles have export tags is the solution - I don't think there's any way round it. It's a feature! You're right - this is totally different to how CS4 & CS5 did it. The ePub export in CS5.5 was completely rewritten I believe. When I first heard about this I felt like you but now I've gotten over it! You can edit the Export Tagging for each style all in one place - "Edit All Export Tags" from the Paragraph/Character Styles option area.

If you're using an external CSS file then ID won't be able to change any style definitions.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
                    chughes133 Level 1

Thanks for the replies Iain. Yes I went through and changed the export tagging in the style. However this doesnt explain why Target-text in indd files 1 and 2 export differently but Target-head in indd files 1 and 2 DO NOT. Secondly, "edit all export tags" would be handy if it were in the book options. In each file its a little limited. Granted, if i started this file in CS5.5 I would set the file up properly from the beginning and get it all over with.

But yeah, what remains is I have no explanation for why out of the 15 styles in this publication this one gets singled out for renaming. I'm sure its somehow my fault, but exactly what I could have possibly done is my question.

• 7. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
                      Iain Robinson Level 1

Bit hard to say without seeing the files but when this sort of thing has happened to me it is because in one document in a book some of the styles don't have export tags set. I thought they did but after seeing the style names being renamed in the HTML I realised that I'd missed some. You could double-check that.

True you have to "Edit All Export Tags" in one document but you can then synchronise that across the book. NB To be safe I make sure my source document in the book contains all the styles for the book, even if some of then aren't used in that particular document. That way I know I only have to change any of the styles in one place (and then sync).

Agreed - jobs we start in CS5.5 will have this sort of thing setup from the start. It's grafting CS5.5 export tags into documents made in CS4 or CS5 that causes the problems.

• 8. Re: CS5.5 epub export: seemingly semi-random class rename
                        chughes133 Level 1

Yeah ok haha, Ill check out those options. I found another style that randomly got renamed. its a strange thing. If i discover anything new I'll post it. Thanks!