19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 2:02 AM by knutklo

Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200

knutklo

Mac Book Pro or Kunshan X7200
      PLEASE… This is NOT a discussion if MAC or PC is best.
      This is a discussion what I am gona spend money on when using After Effects and Premiere Pro CS 5.5 as a tool on either machines.
      Both machines has the same price here in Norway, and I need to know what to buy before I take my cource.

Mack Book Pro

KunsShan X7200Notes
      OSOS XWindows 7 Pro. 64Bit
      CPU

Intel i7, 2.3Ghz, QuadCore

Intel i7, 3.4Ghz, QuadCore

RAM8GB, DDR3, 1333Mhz12GB, DDR3, 1333Mhz
      Graphics CardAMD Radeon HD 6750m, 1GB RAM

Nvidia FX3800, 1GB RAM or

2xGTX480 SLI, 2x2GB RAM

GTX480 is NOT supported by AE or PPro

But it works on my PC today, but I need laptop for study.

HDD-17200rpm, 500GB SATASystem and Boot Partition

500GB, 7200rpm, SATA 3GB/s

32MB Buffer, 4GB SSD cache

HDD-2N/AScratch Disk

HDD-3N/AWork Disk holds Media Files

HDD-ExternalThunderbolt External Disk 10GB/SRender Disk 3GB/s

Here is the link to Mac Book Pro

Here is a link to KunShan X7200

NB. when clicking the link they might not be configured right. The right config is what I have written down above here.

I called Adobe in Norway yesterday but they could not answer my questions so here I have

tried to make a hardware view of the Media Machines I am going to choose between.

Do NOT ask why I do not use this and that like FCP etc. cause this is not the case.

I am going to Buy and Use Adobe Master Collection where Photoshop, Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 and After Effects are the most used tools for me

Here is my basic questions that I asked Adobe Norway ( I told them the spec of each machine ):

1. What is the fastes machine to use when rendering time is important on Premiere Pro and After Effects? (GPU,CPU,HDD)

ANSWER: We are not allowed to say what you should buy, but you should not be hung up in numbers cause MAC can be faster cause of the way the OS is working.

2. What maching has faster graphics card when using AE or PP in seconds not in spec and numbers

ANSWER: This question we cannot answer but you might find it on a forum on the internet... (well here I am ;-)

3. I was told that SSD disks was waste of money cause rendring was mostly used by CPU and GPU, What should I choose?

ANSWER: This is partly correct as long as the disks are fast enough. What format do you use?

me - AVCHD and H.264 with Canon 7D and Panasonic TM700 (Soon TM900)

he - Then drive speed should not be an issue cause these formats are highly compressed. You can use fast SATA disks.

I really need help from someone that KNOW what he is talking about cause this is about $4800 machine pluss the external drive.

Hope to here from someone soon that works with After Effects or Premiere Pro CS 5.5

PS. I also posted this (duplicate) in the After Effects section and I hope none will lock me out cause of this... I am sorry...

Best Regards

Knut Klo

Norway

• 1. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Start by viewing the results at CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/  to find a configuration that is "nearest" your choices

>2xGTX480 SLI

PrPro does NOT do SLI and, in fact, having 2 cards MAY cause problems

The 480 does work, with the hack if not directly supported... nVidia Hack http://forums.adobe.com/thread/629557?tstart=0 - which is a simple entry in a "supported cards" file

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
            Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

knutklo wrote:

Here is my basic questions that I asked Adobe Norway ( I told them the spec of each machine ):

1. What is the fastes machine to use when rendering time is important on Premiere Pro and After Effects? (GPU,CPU,HDD)

ANSWER: We are not allowed to say what you should buy, but you should not be hung up in numbers cause MAC can be faster cause of the way the OS is working.

2. What maching has faster graphics card when using AE or PP in seconds not in spec and numbers

ANSWER: This question we cannot answer but you might find it on a forum on the internet... (well here I am ;-)

3. I was told that SSD disks was waste of money cause rendring was mostly used by CPU and GPU, What should I choose?

ANSWER: This is partly correct as long as the disks are fast enough. What format do you use?

me - AVCHD and H.264 with Canon 7D and Panasonic TM700 (Soon TM900)

he - Then drive speed should not be an issue cause these formats are highly compressed. You can use fast SATA disks.

Best Regards

Knut Klo

Norway

1.  Your Adobe contact does not know what he is talking about.  The Mac OS just is not any good at mulithreading, it is Unix/Linux and is a great multitasking OS but a lousy multithreaded OS which is the way Adobe has designed their software..  We have test results proving that PC's are faster on Premiere.

2.  AE does not the Adobe Mercury Playback Engine and I do not know AE performance-wise, but for Premiere it is very important and it is only available on nVidia GPU cards.  Therefore any PC wins out of the Mac Book Pro because you cannot get an nVidia CUDA card.

3..For a laptop a SSD is a nice luxury because it will save you power, it will not give you any faster performance on Premiere

I have another suggestion for you.  The KunsShan X7200 has a Clevo x7200 motherboard in it and it is that same as a Sager NP7280 and these same units are available from a whole number of other suppliers.  It is a great unit but there is a newer unit now available with the second generation i7 Sandy Bridge processors and I know if I were buying an editing computer I would go with the (American version) of this Multicom Kunshan P170 17.3" unit.  This unit will cost much less, will weigh less, use less power have a newer nVidia CUDA options and we have a tested unit results and I rate it as the fastest Premiere Pro laptop if properly configured (16 GB RAM and i7-2820QM CPU).  The only disadvantage is only two internal disk drives.  But that can be remedied with external drives on the eSATA port.  One of several US versions of this the Sager NP8170.  An English system is the Kobalt G170

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
              knutklo Level 1

WOW that was very good answer

I will check it out and come back to you as soon as I am home...

Br,

Knut Klo

Norway

• 4. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200

Knut, (I forgot to welcome you aboard the forum)  Welcome!

Somehow you have two posts to this forum going at the same time.  Maybe the moderators can fix this up

Let me introduce you to Harm and my PPBM5 (Premiere Pro BenchMark).  This view that you get will not compare any Macs to the of 500 test results with this benchmark.  It is only PC scores at this time.  It has basically 5 tests that and 4 of them are totaled.  Harm has under development a new version of this data in a sortable database.  If you follow this link you will get to the link to the forum posting.

Right below Harm's link posting are my direction on how to get the laptop testing to appear.  Separately, later today, I will give you a comparison on test numbers with PPBM5 testing showing you Mac results versus PC results

• 5. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                  knutklo Level 1

Hello again

Thank you for very good answer and quick response

I looked at the link for the other PC but when I compare them this happens:

Machine     = X7200               P170

CPU          = 3.4Ghz QuadCore          2.3Ghz QuadCore (slower?)

RAM          = 12GB               16GB     

HDD          = 3 DISKS               2 DISKS

Graphic     = FX3800 / GTX480          GTX560 / GTX485

How can P170 be faster with so much less CPU 1Ghz slower than X7200

Do I have the same PC as you think of or is this the wrong PC?

Do you have a link to the English version or where I can buy it?

It was VERY CHEAP comparing to the one I was thinking about buying

Hope to hear from you soon

Br,

Knut Klo

• 6. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                    knutklo Level 1

I found this page http://www.xoticpc.com , but I don't know if they ship to

Norway

Please take a look at the config:

Sager NP7282 / Clevo X7200

- 3% Cash Discount, FREE 8GB of Ram Upgrade & Price Match! We GUARANTEE we

have the lowest price for the same configuration!

- 17.3" FHD 16:9 "Glare Type" Super Clear Ultra Bright LED Glossy Screen

(1920x1080)-

- 30 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee - Special Standard Screen

- Intel® Core™ i7-970 (3.2-3.46GHz) 12MB L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/sec QPI, LGA 1366

- -Stock OEM Thermal Compound

- nVidia Quadro FX5010M 4,096MB PCI-Express GDDR5

- No Video Adapter

- ~ 12,288MB DDR3 1333MHz Memory (3 SODIMMS)-

- Standard Finish

- ~ 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)-

- ~ 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

- ~ 750GB 7200RPM (Serial-ATA II 300 - 16MB Cache)

- Raid 5 Stripe with Parity Enabled (Requires 3 Hard Drives)

- ~ 6X Blu-Ray Burner/Reader / 8X DVDRW Super Multi Combo Drive

- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy

- No Back Up Hard Drive

- NO External USB Optical Drive

- No Floppy Drive

- Internal 3-in-1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS)

- No Back Up Software

- Internal Bluetooth + EDR

- Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module

- No Network Accessory

- Integrated Digital Video Camera

- No TV Tuner

- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included

- Basic Black Business Case - Included

- Primary Smart Li-ION Battery Pack - Included

- No Car Adapter

- None Standard*

- No Dock/Hub/Adapter

- Integrated Fingerprint Reader

- No External Keyboard or Mouse

- No Notebook Cooler

- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6

business days to build time)

- ~Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Installed (64&32-Bit CD Included) w/

Drivers & Utilities CD's + Microsoft Office Starter 2010 - Included with OS

Purchase

- No Office Software

- No Software Bundle

- 3 Year Labor* 1 Year Parts Warranty Lifetime -24/7 DOMESTIC Based- Toll

Free Telephone Tech Support (Labor Warranty through Xotic PC)

Includes FREE Shipping Both Ways for Warranty Repairs

- No Xotic PC Gear

I am Still VERY open to change to even a better machine

Br,

Knut Klo

Norway

• 7. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                      knutklo Level 1

I found this CPU test but how can a slower cpu beat a faster cpu. Now I

don't understand CPU rating it seems... 

Br,

Knut Klo

• 8. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                        knutklo Level 1

I found this CPU test but how can a slower cpu beat a faster cpu. Now I

don't understand CPU rating it seems... 

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=IntelCorei7-2820QM%402.30GHz

Br,

Knut Klo

• 9. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                          knutklo Level 1

Hello everyone and THANK YOU very much for your help and support
                          finding the BEST PC for Adobe Premiere and After Effects.

The Best PC available in Norway is this with help from this forum (translated to English by me):

This is the same PC as Clevo and Sager sold in other countries.:

http://www.multicom.no/SystemConfigurator.aspx?q=st:10600341;c:100560;fl:0#2194-10604050-1 ;2322-3754188-1;2203-10500502-1;2195-10600590-1;2196-10583002-4;2197-10520786-1;2199-10600 337-1;2200-10605611-1;2201-10582290-1

Multicom Kunshan P170 17.3" Full HD LED
                          2nd Generation Intel Core i7 Quad Core
                          Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Screen    = 17.3" Wide screen Full HD LED 1920x1080
                          Graphic   = nVidia GTX485M 2GB GDDR5, 384 Cuda Cores, DX11,HDMI1.4,DVI-Dual-Link
                          CPU       = Intel Core i7 Extreme 2920XM QuadCore, 2.5GHz, 8MB SmartCache

Bench Test High End CPU's
                          Chipset   = Intel HM67 Express chipset (B3 ver.)
                          RAM       = 16GB DDR3 SO-DIMM 1333MHz (4x4GB)

2xHDD    = WD Scorpio® Black 750GB, 16MB Buffer, SATA-300
                          WIFI      = Intel 6230, 802.11 a/b/g/n
                          Bluetooth = YES
                          Ethernet  = 10/100/1000Mpbs nettverkskort
                          Bluray/DVD= YES
                          Fingerprnt= YES
                          Webcam    = 2.0Mpix
                          Audio     = Intel HD-Audio
                          Connections:
                          1 x S/PDIF digital out
                          1 x HDMI
                          1 x DVI-I
                          2 x USB 2.0
                          2 x USB 3.0
                          1 x eSATA  -  This will be used for my external drive.
                          1 x iEEE1394a Firewire
                          1 x Line input
                          1 x Mic. input
                          1 x Headset
                          9-in-1 card reader (MMC, RS MMC, MS, MS Pro, MS Duo, SD, Mini-SD, SDHC, SDXC)
                          8 Cell battery Smart Lithium Ion, 76.96WH
                          2 Year warranty

Does anyone has something that should be adjusted or changed? Is this a good PC for Premiere Pro and AE ?

Br,

Knut Klo

Norway

• 11. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200

Yes, your 750 GB drives appear to be 5400 RPM drives unless the page I pointed out to you on the P170 is wrong.  Drop back to the 500 GB 7200 rpm.  And personally I do not like a glossy screen.  Going with the faster processor is a great idea.

• 12. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                              knutklo Level 1

I am not going to use the original disk(s)

I buy it with one small disk so it will be cheaper and change this disk and

put in another disk, so then I have two identical disks:

This is the disks that I will use:

Western Digital Scorpio® Black 750GB, 7200RPM
                              SATA-2, 2,5" internal, 16MB, Advanced Format (AF)

http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=631624#extra

• 13. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                                knutklo Level 1

Same laptop under different names?

NB. This information has not been possible for me to get without your help.

Thank you very much 

Clevo P170HMSager NP8170Kunshan P170Kobalt G170
                                CPU2nd Gen. i7-2920XM, 2.5-3.5GHz, (32nm, 8MB L3 cache)
                                RAM16GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, Dual Channel Memory
                                GraphicsnVidia GeForce GTX 485M, 2GB, GDDR5, DX11, 384 Cuda Cores
                                HardDriveCustom - 2 x WD Scorpio® Black, 7200rpm, 750GB, 16MB Buffer, SATA-300
                                eSata HDD

Custom - Akasa Integral 2,5" HDD, SATA, USB 2.0, eSATA, Hot-swap

HDD - WD Scorpio® Black, 7200rpm, 750GB, 16MB Buffer, SATA-300

When we all agree that we have a good PC for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects we can

make NEW topic called "Good PC For Video Editing In After Effects & Premiere Pro CS 5.5

Is this a good idea?

• 14. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                                  knutklo Level 1

Oki I clicked "Correct Answer" and now what happens?

Is it possible to continue here or did I do something wrong?

Sorry... I am very very fresh in here  

Br, Knut

• 15. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                                    knutklo Level 1

What is the best disk configuration when only 2 internal

drives and 1 external eSata drive?

1 int. for System/Boot and Media Files

1 int. for Scratch Disk

1 ext. Rendering

Where to place the windows Page File? Same as OS or Rendring or Scratch disk?

Br, Knut

• 16. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200

I am not sure what you expect next.  You have your design are you going to get it and enjoy it?  Thanks for the correct answer award.

Oh yes, you could add these to your list and I am sure there are others:

Eurocom Neptune

AVAdirect Clevo P170HM

There is of course another option our friends here on the forum ADK does have a Sandy Bridge Laptop the 8600 that has all the same options available and actually has space for three hard disks, but that may not be practical for you over in Norway

• 17. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200
                                        knutklo Level 1

Thank you very much, this has been very helpfull.

Yes I will buy this PC in August before I start study in September.

I have searched and asked around the web for 3 weeks before I got here to you guys 

I will stick to this forum cause all my questions got answered in a very short time.

This is all I need I think, and I will be back with real life tests posted from my new PC so other people can check what is best or not.

Thank you very much everyone

I will start a NEW post now, for people that need Video Editing Laptop. (this will start after I get my laptop so I have something to compare with.

The title on my new thread will be:

" Best Laptop for Video Editing with After Effects & Premiere Pro CS 5.5 "

Br,

Knut Klo

• 18. Re: Adobe Video Editing - Mac Book Pro or KunShan x7200