26 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2011 7:26 AM by The Primate

InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

The Primate Level 1

I have a 20 page document in InDesign CS 5. When I export to a interactive .pdf file, it has two pages on one. I only want each page in my file to export to a single page in the .pdf file. In other words, I want my .pdf file to have all 20 pages separate. What is the setting to get a one to one correspondence?

Lou

• 2. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
          The Primate Level 1

I went to the site and found a video on exporting each page as a separate 

file, but I didn't come across something specific to having my InDesign file

export to .pdf, so that each page appears on the screen singly, or could

even  print a single page on a single sheet.

Lou

In a message dated 6/23/2011 9:05:36 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, 

forums@adobe.com writes:

Look at  this 

http://indesignsecrets.com/interactive-pdf-from-indesign-cs5-always-has-spreads-on.php.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
            Stix Hart Level 5

Video?  I didn't see that, I should have told you to scroll down the commnets for the best fix, here it is here.

Install that script, click on it and you're done.

• 4. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't do interactive, but I'm pretty sure that if you DON'T start out with facing pages you won't get spreads in the PDF. I bet you have a facing pages document, and if this is intended for on-screen use I wonder why that would be necessary?

• 5. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                The Primate Level 1

Can you tell me exactly what to do? I didn't touch any settings, nor know of one, that says not to start out with facing pages. In InDesign CS 5, it presents me with a two page spread. Should that not be? How would I change it?

Lou

I don't do interactive, but I'm pretty sure that if you DON'T start out with

facing pages you won't get spreads in the PDF. I bet you have a facing pages

document, and if this is intended for on-screen use I wonder why that would be

necessary?

• 6. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

Go back to File > Document Setup... and uncheck the box for facing pages. I think it's checked by default when you select a print setup page size.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                    The Primate Level 1

>Go back to File > Document Setup... and uncheck the box for facing pages. I

think it's checked by default when you select a print setup page size.

I unchecked it and it still exported my pages as a two page spread in the .pdf file. In Adobe reader. Is there something else I can try?

Lou

• 8. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

I don't know what's wrong. It works here...

Try creating a new file without facing pages to start (rename the master page to Z or something so your other master will come along for the ride when you move pages), then move the pages from the current file into the new one. Delete the blank page and export.

It's remotely possible that you've selected a two-up option instead of single pages inthe export dialog dropdown, whcih would cause Reader to display side by side, but you would be able to change that in the view settings in reader. How many pages does Reader think are in the PDF comapred to haw may are in the ID file?

• 9. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                        The Primate Level 1

First, thanks for your help. This road block is the last thing that is 

keeping me from transmitting my newsletter over the Internet to others.

>Try creating a new file without facing pages to start (rename the  master

page to Z or something so your other master will come along for the ride 

when you move pages)

Okay. I copied all the pages to a new file without facing pages. I tried to

copy the master pages also, but it wouldn't do it. I don't know how, but

the  master pages appeared in the new file.

>Delete the blank page and export.

I did that with the same result--two facing pages in Reader.

>It's remotely possible that you've selected a two-up option  instead of

single pages inthe export dialog dropdown, whcih would cause Reader  to

display side by side

I tried changing all the settings in Reader. When I put "two pages 

continuous", it shows four pages. Single page continuous shows two.

>How many pages does Reader think are in the PDF comapred to haw  may are

in the ID file?

When I printed my 20 page document to proof read yesterday, it  printed 11

pages. Except for the first one, there were two pages on a  sheet.

Lou

• 10. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                          The Primate Level 1

>Install that script, click on it and you're done.

How do you install a script? Which script is the best, since there  are a

few in the discussion? Thanks so much.

Lou

• 11. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

How do you install a script? Which script is the best, since there  are a

few in the discussion? Thanks so much.

Lou

http://tiny.cc/alouh

And the script in the first reply is the best to use

• 12. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

While scripts are certainly one possibility, I'd like to get to the bottom of why ID is not behaving as expected. Are you patched to 7.0.4?

Do you know how to make a screen capture? Once saved, images can be embedded in your posts using the little camera icon on the web page:

CameraIcon.png

It would help to see the Pages panel and the export dialog.

• 13. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                The Primate Level 1

>Are you patched to 7.0.4?

Yes, and I tried the shutting off page faces, from the Document setup option, on two different computers and that didn't work.

>Do you know how to make a screen capture?

I don't know how much good showing you the two pages that appear in Reader as compared to telling you that it happens, but here it is below. If I select, from the View option, "Two up continuous", I get four pages.

>Once saved, images can be embedded in your posts using the little camera icon on the web page:

http://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/73442/CameraIcon.png

I went there, but didn't see a way to write you there or to paste my image. I didn't know what to do when I got to that web site. Sorry, but I am a beginner and didn't

know what to do at the site, or if you wanted the images in this letter.

>It would help to see the Pages panel .

Here is the pages panel:

>and the export dialog

Here is that:

Again, thank you for spending your time on my problem.

Lou

• 14. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                  The Primate Level 1

Hi, Eugene

This is the script I copied from one of the web sites:

app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.exportReaderSpreads= !app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.exportReaderSpreads

I copied it into word and saved it as a text file. I looked in the video tutorial how to install the script and it said how easy it was. It wasn't because the files he used was a .jsx file, whatever that is, and mine is text since I didn't have "jsx" as an option to save in Word.

How do I get that script into whatever the computer wants?

Lou

• 15. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                    The Primate Level 1

>I bet you have a facing pages document,

What is a "facing pages" document. Whenever I make a document in Indesign CS 5, it shows page one alone, then for the rest, has two pages showing for me to work on. Is there something else I should be doing? Keep in mind, turning off the facing pages selection does not change anything for my exporting purposes.

Lou

• 16. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

OK, a bunch of stuff to talk about. The URL you saw and tried to visit in my post was actually the embedded image of the camera icon I posted. You have to return to the forum on the web using your browser. You'll see embedded images inthe posts, and when you press reply you'll see the camera icon onthe toolbar in the message composing area. You cannot attach or otherwise embed anything into a post using an email response, you MUST come back to the web. I'd still like to see the scree captures, if you don't mind. Looking at the acrobat capture is just to confirm that we really are looking at a two-page spread and not two pages dispalyed together as a spread. I believe you when you say that's the case, but if you are making non-facing pages and getting a spread, there's more going on that we need to figure out, and good diagnosis requires confirmation.

Next is saving scripts. DON'T use Word. It adds it's own formatting garbage and the text is messed up. On Windows, use Note Pad or the ExtendScript app that ships with the Creative Suite. On Mac use a palin text editor (Text Edit set to save as plain text is fine) or ExtendScript.

If you see two pages together as a spread the odds are pretty good you have a facing pages document. The only way to get non-facing pages to stick together is to disable page shuffling and drag them together in the Pages Panel, and that won't happen accidentally. Facing Pages is, I think, the default, and it means the first page in the document, if odd-numbered, will be by itself in the panel and the document window, and odd/even combos will display together, the way a reader will see a bound book, with every pair of pages facing each other. To turn it off you need to uncheck the box I've circled in red in this screen capture (come back to the web):

Doc Setup.png

• 17. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                        The Primate Level 1

Peter, I did what you said and posted to the forum. The title of my letter is "CS5 exports two pages at a time instead of one". I put my screen shots in it. The text of the letter is:

I copied the followingscript from the Internet into notepad, saved it, and renamed it"spreads.jsx". I put it into my scripts file. It didn't do anything.app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.exportReaderSpreads =!app.interactivePDFExportPreferences.exportReaderSpreads

I removed the facingpages check. My pages still exported two pages to a page. I then created a newdocument without the facing pages checked. I copied the 21 of my original fileinto the new file. It still exported two pages on one.

>The only way to get non-facing pages tostick together is to disable page shuffling and drag them together in the PagesPanel, and that won't happen accidentally.

I turned off shuffling, and that didn't help either. It was unclear what todrag in the Pages Panel.

I'm now past my deadline for the newsletter and can use anybody's help so thatI get an output in .pdf for single pages, so people can print out the file andhave a single page on a single sheet.

Lou

• 18. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                          FlutePixzy Level 1

Lou,

I'm a bit late in the game here, but I'm having the opposite problem. However, I think that in the process of trying to solve my issue, I may have solved yours. "May" being the operative word here since I'm on an iMac and I don't know if the glitches are across platforms.

FOR YOU TO TRY:

Since you want single pages and I'm assuming page numbering (left/right) isn't important to you, try going to your document setup (on OSX: File / Document Setup), and uncheck the Facing Pages selection box (mine is selected in the image below). Export using Single Page or Single Continuous and your readers should be able to print each page separately.

I did notice a similar response regarding creation of a totally new document. If that didn't work for you then this probably won'y either. Apologies, because I understand your frustration.

Screen shot 2011-07-24 at 6.31.04 PM.png

Unfortunately, this doesn't fix my problem as I need my page numbers to appear correctly AND I need a single PDF file that will display in single AND facing pages layout, not one or the other.

MY ISSUE IN CASE ANYONE KNOWS THE REAL ANSWER:

I am working, by choice, on a facing page spread. Normally, when I export to PDF I can view my document in single or facing pages. Since upgrading to InD5 last year, when I export to PDF my facing pages are "stuck" together and will not separate no matter how loudly I shout at my PDF file.

So, my cover page displays in portrait mode with subsequent pages stuck in landscape, forcing me (and my clients) to change zoom levels AND shift the page to see left page/right page. As my project is necessarily linked and cross-referenced, this screws with the view each and every time one needs to navigate through the document AND be able to read without changing the zoom level.

I get the same results whether I export using Single Page layout or Two-up layout - any configuration. I'm annoyed because I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my client, especially since they are in the middle of a new accreditation review and this document is due in a couple days.

I've ignored my husband (just back from three years in Afghanistan), my daughter, and my cats for three days trying to find a solution short of reinstalling InD3. Exporting each page separately and restitching them to a single PDF won't work since I need the interactive components to work.

ANYONE???

• 19. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages

In CS5 (and 5.5) there are TWO flavors of PDF export, Interactive and Print. Interactive is the default and if you aren't aware that's the one you'll pick. Interactive also happens to export spreads by default.

In your case, just selcet Export > PDF (Print) and you should see essentially the same dialog you are used to seeing. If you need interactive features, you can export interactive PDF in single pages using a script to change the spreads preference: http://indesignsecrets.com/interactive-pdf-from-indesign-cs5-always-has-spreads-on.php and read the comments...

• 20. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                              The Primate Level 1

FlutePixzy,

First and foremost, I want to thank your husband for serving our country.

>uncheck the Facing Pages selection box

Thanks for the suggestion, but I tried that early on and it didn't work. I sent my file to Adobe about three weeks ago and they are still trying to solve the problem.

Lou

• 21. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                The Primate Level 1

Peter,

Thanks. During the course of my problem, I tried two different scripts and they didn't work. Adobe has had my file for about three weeks and they are trying to figure out the problem. I don't think it's my file that has the problem; I believe CS5 needs to be corrected. I can't complain when Adobe calls and tells me they are still working on it.

Lou

• 22. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                  FlutePixzy Level 1

Peter,

My fault I suppose - I failed to mention that I had read the comments. These here and elsewhere.

I've been exporting to PDF, Interactive, all along. It doesn't help with the sticky facing pages. Probably should also have mentioned that I was able to toggle between those sticky facing pages and single within Acrobat.

I was going to post more screen shots so that you could see I've been getting it right but I've discovered my issue isn't with InD5 - it's Acrobat! As for the pages being in the right place (your linked article, which I also read before finding this thread), this really doesn't help for this project. I've created two masters for the page numbering and the document is always an even number of pages so I don't have to worry about shifting. All other page layouts I'll do on-the-fly.

Switching between single page and facing pages in previous versions of Acrobat didn't change the zoom level while allowing readers to view documents in a more realistic book format.

Now, as I stated earlier, the pages stick together and one is required to change the zoom, most notable when moving from the cover page to the first two facing pages and then again when moving from link to link (which I've set to open in full page view - necessary for my project). This is the one project I have where viewing in a more native book format makes a difference. It's a college catalog that went strictly multi-media rather than print but they still want the book look. Guess I'll have to break it to them gently.

So it seems I'm just rambling about an Acrobat issue in an InD thread. Good news is... it's liberating to know I can quit trying to fix something I have no control over (she says as she ponders whether previous versions of Adobe Reader will return the same pesky results).

I'm taking my mush-for-brains to bed for the day (5:30am). Until the client calls.

Thanks, anyway.

• 23. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                    FlutePixzy Level 1

Thanks, Lou. My husband spent 37 years in the Army before getting "kicked" out. Didn't get enough apparently so he went to Afghanistan. He's home permanently, I hope.

In a lengthier response to Peter, I mentioned that I discovered my problem wasn't necessarily InD. It's Acrobat. When I export using single page settings (see below), I can toggle between single page view and facing page view from within Acrobat. This may seem simplistic, but it's a little after 5:30am and I'm afraid that's all I have left.

Screen shot 2011-07-25 at 4.31.12 AM.png

I do hope you find a way to resolve your problem.

• 24. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                      The Primate Level 1

>I can toggle between single page view and facing page view from within Acrobat.

When I do that, with single page view I see two pages and with facing page, I see four. Thanks anyway.

Lou

• 25. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The Primate wrote:

>I can toggle between single page view and facing page view from within Acrobat.

When I do that, with single page view I see two pages and with facing page, I see four. Thanks anyway.

So your document is a single page document and you have manually drawn two "pages" on each one yourself?

Can you show a screenshot of one of these pages (or two)? Do they look anything like this?

twopage.PNG

• 26. Re: InDesign CS 5 exports double pages
                                                          The Primate Level 1

>Do they look anything like this?

Yes. and if I do facing pages view, there are four pages. I already used the advice I got on this forum. I uploaded the file to an Adobe site in the folder, "New Folder" and Adobe has sent it up to the next level. That was around July 4. I'm going to wait to see what they have to say. However, there must be procedural problems at Adobe that have nothing to do with solving my problem because I can't believe it would take technicians 21 days to figure out what's wrong.

Lou