5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 11:43 PM by John Hawkinson

InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch

VickyC112 Level 1

Hello

I just installed CS 5.5 on my new iMac. All the applications launch in double quick speed (Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator etc) but InDesign takes a good few minutes. Is this normal?

When I click on the icon to launch it, the welcome box appears but is blank and it's quite a while before any info appears.

Thanks

• 1. Re: InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Minutes? No, not normal.

Longer than other apps, yes.

Bob

• 2. Re: InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch
            VickyC112 Level 1

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

• 3. Re: InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hard to say. Does it happen at every launch or just the first one after booting the machine?

What are the system specs?

Bob

• 4. Re: InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch
                VickyC112 Level 1

Seems to happen at every launch (although did only install it this morning).

iMac, 10.6.7

5.7GHz Intel Core i5

8GB 1333 MHz DDDR3

• 5. Re: InDesign 5.5 very slow to launch
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

OK, so, a useful way to instrument InDesign's startup speed is to look at all the files it opens as it starts up. There are hundreds, but it will give you some idea of what it is doing when it is slow.

The easiest way to do this is with the iosnoop program, which will print output like this:

STRTIME                UID   PID D    BLOCK   SIZE       COMM PATHNAME
                  2011 Jun 25 02:33:36   502 46518 R 152103176 118784 Adobe InDesign  ??/A/adobe_caps

2011 Jun 25 02:33:36   502 46518 R 152358088 667648 Adobe InDesign  ??/MacOS/WidgetBinLib.dylib

You can then look at the output yourself and see if it's obvious (e.g. "Why is InDesign opening all these files on my network server in Siberia? I bet that's the problem!") or upload it to pastebin.com and post a link here and we can look at it.

How do you do it? Well, it's a bit tricky, because you need to start iosnoop as soon as InDesign starts running, but before it does anything.

Fortunately, Mac OS X gives us an easy way to delay a processes' startup by 15 seconds, which should be time to get iosnoop running if you type quickly. It's just some typing.

So here's what you do. Open Terminal.app and type the following. Items with after a # are comments so you can skip typing them, but you can also type them if you want...:

# Get sudo ready so you won't have to type the password later
                  sudo -v
                  # change directories to InDesign's app bundle
                  cd /Applications/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS5.5/Adobe\ InDesign\ CS5.5.app
                  # and then to the executable's directory
                  cd Contents/MacOS
                  # run the executable with a delay, and in the background
                  # also suppress diagnostic messages (NSAutoreleaseNoPool(), etc.)
                  INIT_Processes=1 ./Adobe\ InDesign\ CS5.5 >/dev/null &
                  # it will print something like
                  # [1] 46399
                  # where "46399" is the process id. You then have 15 seconds to type
                  # in the following, replacing 46399 with your own process id:
                  sudo iosnoop -v -p 46399

When InDesign is open/done or you're bored of this, hit ^C (Control-C).

If you like, you can open two terminal windows and type the two sudo lines (-v and iosnoop) in the 2nd one. That way you can get the command ready without the pid and just type that and hit return, if the time is an issue.

Let us know how it goes.