9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2011 1:12 PM by Jay Gladwell

Shuts down on render

Jay Gladwell Level 1

I've been using PPro CS5.5 since release and not had any problems, until today...

System is:

Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40Hz

16 GB memory

Windows 7 64-bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Attempting to export MPEG2-DVD file for buring. First image, after 5 seconds of black, is a jpg image 1920 x 1536 (2.7 MB). All the rest is footage from EX3. No filters or FX applied.

Computer shuts down before 1% of video is encoded.

Any ideas as it what's going here? This has not happened before today.

TIA!

• 1. Re: Shuts down on render
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Jay,

With a computer shutdown, whether one gets a BSOD or reboot, my first thought would be hardware. This ARTICLE will give you some things to look at, and some links to tools to check the system.

If all of the hardware checks out fine, then second thought would be some driver messing up the OS. Event Viewer can possibly help you track such down. This ARTICLE goes into a bit more detail.

Third thought is that some program is getting in the way, such as possibly Windows Indexing, or more likely an active, real-time scanning anti-virus, anti-malware, or pop-up blocker. Check those out too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Shuts down on render
            Jay Gladwell Level 1

Thanks for the info, Bill.

I removed the jpeg and tried a render. It appeared to work fine (up to the 17%, well beyond the jpeg image). So I stopped it, reinserted the image and tried again. Opened the side of the computer and turned another floor fan on it. It's now rendering and is up to 47%.

The RAM and PS are only a few months old. I'd hate to think they're already pooping out on me. Upgraded everything but the MB (a 2-year old ASUS) when I moved to PPro in March.

• 4. Re: Shuts down on render
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jay,

Glad that things are progressing.

Let's hope that it's a heat issue, and then you can just fill up every hole with a high-efficiency fan, and take care of it. Within reason, a computer cannot run too cool. Remember the "good old days," when computers were in special rooms, kept around 45F? There was a reason for that. Now, we use heatsinks, fans, and maybe even liquid cooling.

Good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Shuts down on render
                Jay Gladwell Level 1

Sorry, Ann, I didn't understand the info in the link you provided. It seemed Mac related...

Bill, this box already has two fans in front sucking in air, and three in the back spitting it out, plus a giant heat sink with it's own large fan on the CPU. So short of packing it in ice, I don't know what else I could do.

Things appear to have worked out just fine.

Thanks!

• 6. Re: Shuts down on render
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Things appear to have worked out just fine.

That is good news!

As for the fans, if everything is clean (no dust-bunnies, etc.), then not sure what else one can do. Check that the CPU's and GPU's heatsinks have not come loose.

I've been thinking about ducting the air from my wine cellar (55F) into my case...

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Shuts down on render
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>ducting the air from my wine cellar (55F) into my case

Hmm... and then write an article explaining how to optimize a computer for Burgundy fumes

• 8. Re: Shuts down on render
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                      function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Jay Gladwell wrote:

Thanks for the info, Bill.

I removed the jpeg and tried a render. It appeared to work fine (up to the 17%, well beyond the jpeg image). So I stopped it, reinserted the image and tried again. Opened the side of the computer and turned another floor fan on it. It's now rendering and is up to 47%.

The RAM and PS are only a few months old. I'd hate to think they're already pooping out on me. Upgraded everything but the MB (a 2-year old ASUS) when I moved to PPro in March.

Sorry this is the second time this week i posted a wrong link.

http://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/2011/02/premiere-pro-cs5-maintenance-two-great-tips. html

• 9. Re: Shuts down on render
                        Jay Gladwell Level 1

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one who does such things.