4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 8:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Filter for Overly Bright Out Faces

tzekerous

I have some footage which is great except the subjects' faces are washed out from too much light - they appear bright white.  I have played with the Levels and Contrast filters but have had no luck.

I know this is unlikely to be fixable but if there is any way to reduce the glare on their faces?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Filter for Overly Bright Out Faces
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on how blown-out the highlights are, there might not be much that you can do, but I would look into the Highlight & Shadow Effect. When it is dragged to the Clip, it will be in Auto Mode. I would turn that OFF (uncheck), and explore the settings. Normally, one thinks of H & S Effect being used to open up shadows, but it can work the other direction to a limited degree. Do not hesitate to also use Levels and H&S.

Good luck, and I hope that there is enough detail in those faces.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Filter for Overly Bright Out Faces
            Stanley Arthur Level 3

If you can't do it with Levels or Curves, then I gotta say that you're pretty much out of luck. I don't know of any magic bullet on this one. Think of it as lost and unrecoverable data.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Filter for Overly Bright Out Faces
              tzekerous Level 1

Thanks Bill and Stan, much appreciated

• 4. Re: Filter for Overly Bright Out Faces
                the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Now, and I almost hesitate to ask, were you able to get better results in your footage with any of these?

Blown out highlights will often be less successful, than opening up some blocked shadows. With the former, there is just often not enough data in the highlight areas, where with the latter, there IS data, and one might just need to address Video Noise, in the result.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - we all know that great lighting is the key to ultimate success, but sometimes, it's just not possible, so we have to make do, with what we have.