2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 2:55 PM by Bannditz

How to stop updates setting as default reader and installing icons

Bannditz

Lately when our users allow the Adobe Reader update (usually shows upon a reboot when it chekcs for updates) to perform and update, when the update is installed it decides on it's own, without permission, to set itself as the default .pdf reader.

Some people do use Adobe, but some use competing software, and this hijacking of the default reader is only cementing in the competing reader users' heads why they don't like Adobe Reader. This must stop, or we will have to strip reader from all machines, so we don't have to keep spending time resetting things for users.

The updates also decide to install a dektop icon, and place themselves in the root level of the start menu (on WinXP for instance). We don't want a desktop icon, and there is a start menu folder already setup for where it should be. There is no need for any new shortcuts since the install location is not changing.

No changes were made on our end. This is an Adobe push.

There is no need for this. How can this be prevented? Why are chosen preferences being ignored?

• 1. Re: How to stop updates setting as default reader and installing icons
          370H55V Level 4

The default program for PDFs is not set by any update or software from Adobe. It is set in Windows Explorer. You can and will likely argue that this is not the case, but I have Acrobat 9 Professional set as my default program for PDFs since 2009 and I've updated all the way through Reader 9 and now Reader X without any changes in that default setting. PDFs open in the program that Windows Explorer tells them to. In my case Acrobat Pro 9.

You can try the reset tool for PDFs here but it will restore Reader as the default.

The icon on the desktop and Start menu go back to the original install. If "Create a Desktop Icon" and "Add A Shortcut to the Start Menu" were checked when Reader was first installed, it will install a "replacement icon" with every update because the registry tells it to. The only way to undo this is to remove Reader, clear the registry of ALL Reader entries and reinstall it without checking either of these boxes.

Personally, I don't let Windows display desktop shortcuts, and I never have. That's a Mac thing I carried over into Windows use, but I hate having anything at all on my desktop. I can't stand clutter.

It sounds as if you already have and use something else for viewing PDfs, and are just using this forum as a place to rant about Reader though. It also sounds as though you are already planning to "dump" Reader. I'll offer the advice I give quite often here. "If you don't like the software, you don't have to use the software." There is no legal obligation to use Reader. If you have something you prefer, more power to you.

• 2. Re: How to stop updates setting as default reader and installing icons
            Bannditz Level 1

On 2011/06/25 12:24, Expatriated Mac User wrote:

The default program for PDFs is not set by any update or software from Adobe. It is set in Windows Explorer.

Win Explorer just holds the settings, not makes changes (although     one can use the File advanced to alter these). In Reader, under     Preferences -> General -> Set Default PDF Reader you can     change it, so yes the software does change it. Oh, wait - when you     go to this (using 10 as the example) the only choice you have is     adobe Reader, so even tho' Foxit or something else is already on the     system and/or set as the default, you can't even choose it from     within Reader. Contrast that to Foxit where you can check/uncheck     setting it as the default, and/or have Foxit check to see if it is.     Adobe just assumes it has to be.

You can and will likely argue that this is not the case, but I have Acrobat 9 Professional set as my default program for PDFs since 2009 and I've updated all the way through Reader 9 and now Reader X without any changes in that default setting.
            And many of our users have had Foxit Reader set since version 3 as     their default and it had not changed until starting about Feb of     2011.
            There are 192 machines here, of which ~145 are either WinXP or     Win7-64bit. I am the tech guy, sorta. For whatever reason they don't     have it setup as a domain, but multiple separated workgroups, so     there has been no policy or GPO push that changed anything, nor mass     update pushout. Windows auto updates and that sorta of thing are run     from each machine individually, (yes, I know :-( )

The company likes giving individual users the freedom to choose some     things like which office suite they want, which OS, which pdf     viewer.
               It is the Windows machines where users' prefs are not for adobe     reader (about 110 machines) where the problem lies. Since it was not     some IT dept that changed anything, and the users range from novice     old lady to tech power user, we rule out the little old lady editing     the registry or otherwise monkeying with settings, a lot of which     are locked down.

All the machines were installed with a similar image that included     reader and Foxit (just like they got IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari,     Opera for their choice of browser) and the user could choose which     pdf viewer to use. Most chose Foxit, and this worked fine for years     thru ADobe updates, until suddenly some reader update caused itself     to set itself as the default, even on machines where it never was     the default, ever.
             PDFs open in the program that Windows Explorer tells them to.
            Except when reader/updates change what explorer was holding.

The icon on the desktop and Start menu go back to the original install. If "Create a Desktop Icon" and "Add A Shortcut to the Start Menu" were checked when Reader was first installed, it will install a "replacement icon" with every update because the registry tells it to.
            Except that hasn't happened until the update process changed.     Perhaps it did not before read the registry and so once you removed     any icons they never got reinstalled, but now the update does more     of a whole repair each time.

Persnally, I don't let Windows display desktop shortcuts, and I never have. That's a Mac thing I carried over into Windows use, but I hate having anything at all on my desktop. I can't stand clutter.
            me too.  :-)

It sounds as if you already have and use something else for viewing PDfs, 
            Foxit Reader, now version 5
            and are just using this forum as a place to rant about Reader though.
            No, I want a solution, and do not like how reader update changed.

It also sounds as though you are already planning to "dump" Reader. 
            I would prefer to let user's have their own choice, but will dump it     if a solution is not found.
            I can't just uninstall Reader on machines where users' don't want     it, since users move around, so some people would be     confused with some machines not having reader and some it is default.