8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 5:52 AM by gwhPoster

colour in pdf is appearing washed out

gwhPoster Level 1

Hi everyone,

I have a document with a whole heap of cross-references. I assigned a character style to them when I created them, so they're all pointing to the same style which has a specific Blue colour.

When I created this colour, I assigned:

• a colour type of Process,
      • a colour mode of RGB, and
      • the colour value Red: 0, Green: 0 and Blue: 255.

The problem is that when I export to pdf some of these links appear with a blue colour that's a bit washed out, ie. not full 255 Blue as I specified. Oddly enough this only happens on some of the pages, not all of them.

The swatch icon has an out-of-gammut warning but I didn't think this would apply since I'm exporting a pdf that is using RGB colours anyway.

I tried setting the transparency blend mode to RGB. This helped so that the colours all appeared the same in Indesign but it didn't help with the way they appeared in the pdf. Also when exporting to pdf, I tried no colour conversion and also tried a convert to document RGB setting. Both of these produced the same results, ie. most of it is the correct blue but odd pages here and there appear as the washed out version.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this or whether there's a workaround?

Appreciate any advice.

• 1. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Drop shadows or other transparency on the pages where the color is wrong? Change the Transparency Blend Space to Document RGB.

• 2. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out
            gwhPoster Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

No there's no drop shadows or transparency on the pages where the colour is wrong, but as mentioned in the original post I already made sure that the transparency blend space was set to document RGB. This didn't make any difference though. I can't work it out.

• 3. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out

Is the problem now restricted to the PDF? Do you see it in ID in Overprint Preview? In the PDF is it apparent on screen, in print, or both?

Have you got Simulate Overprint enabled in both the export options and Acrobat?

This still SOUNDS like a transparency issue. Transparency can come from inside ID in the form of effects, blend modes, or outright opacity reductions, and can come from outside in imported art.

• 4. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out
                gwhPoster Level 1

Is the problem now restricted to the PDF?

Yes it's only occurring in the pdf now

Do you see it in ID in Overprint Preview?

Yes I see it in ID in overprint preview

In the PDF is it apparent on screen, in print, or both?

It's apparent on screen but I'm not sure about print as I havent' printed it out in colour, but it will only appear onscreen as it will be an ebook.

Have you got Simulate Overprint enabled in both the export options and Acrobat?

I'm unable to enable Simulate Overprint in the export options as it's greyed out. I'm also not sure where to enable it in Acrobat?

This still SOUNDS like a transparency issue. Transparency can come from inside ID in the form of effects, blend modes, or outright opacity reductions, and can come from outside in imported art.

You're right - I had a closer look and there's a transparent .png file on all the pages where the problem occurs. But since I've already set the Transparency Blend Space to Document RGB, how do I fix the problem?

Appreciate any further help.

• 5. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out

This is certainly perplexing. Simulate Overprintis available only when two conditions are met: you are flattening transparency by exporting to Acrobat 4 compatibility or lower, AND you are converting colors to a destination profile. Seems odd to me that "No Color Conversion" disables it.

So the first thing would maybe be trying Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility to keep the transparency live, whcih I recommend in any case in order to avoid "stitching" artifacts on screen (white lines around transparent areas). Next would be to explicitly convert to the document RGB profile, I think, and just verify that the blend space really is set to RGB.

Any chance you could make a two-page sample doc, one page with and one without the png, and post it someplace? I'll be out all day, but someone else may get a chance to look, and I will certainly check it out when I return.

• 6. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out

I forgot to mention the settings for overprint preview in Acrobat are in the user preferences.

• 7. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out
                      gwhPoster Level 1
                      Simulate Overprint is available only when two conditions are met: you are flattening transparency by exporting to Acrobat 4 compatibility or lower, AND you are converting colors to a destination profile

Since you're saying that the above conditions need to be met before simulate overprint is available, I don't know why you're saying it's odd that it's disabled when "No colour conversion" is chosen. I mean choosing "no colour conversion" doesn't meet the requirements that you mention so it seems to me it shouldn't be enabled. But anyway, I tried a setting where it exports to Acrobat 4 but I got the following error:

"Pages with transparency will not include hyperlinks, bookmarks, movies, sounds, button items, or eBook tags. If your pages require these features, click Cancel, and then select an Acrobat 5.0 or later export option"

So due to the above error I didn't go ahead with the version 4 export as I need it to include hyperlinks.

So the first thing would maybe be trying Acrobat 5 or higher compatibility to keep the transparency live

Yes, I've already tried this but still no luck.

Next would be to explicitly convert to the document RGB profile, I think, and just verify that the blend space really is set to RGB

I also tried this - but again still getting the same result.

I'm a bit hesitant to post a couple of the pdf pages on a public forum as the ebook is for a client and I get a bit paranoid.

I don't really know what I'm going to do.

• 8. Re: colour in pdf is appearing washed out

By odd I meant that it seemed odd to me that you couldn't simulate overprint if you flatten transparency, but are working inthe corect color space for export and choose not explicitly convert to the existing space.

I don't think this is a flattener issue, necessarily, though, since you aren't flattening. You could send me a link via Private Message (click my name to go to my profile) if you feel comfortable with that, but I understand if you don't want to share confidential material. I think the only things we need, though, are two pages with the background, one with the PNG, so that's really the only thing that might be a problem. You could save a copy of the file, then delete all but two page, and on those pages delete any other content.

Going out the door now.