9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 5:01 PM by atb99

Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)

kannan38

I opened a form so that I could fill in the fields.  The security says that filling of form fields allowed.  However, I don't see the 'Tool' bar at all. All I have on top: File Edit View Window Help'.  I have Adobe Reader X.

Where is the 'Tool' bar? I need the hand tool to fill in the forms; right?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
          370H55V Level 4

The "hand tool" is for dragging a page up and down, but you can do that with the wheel on your mouse. It has nothing to do with being able ti fill forms. You can "tab" through a form if the creator set it up properly. Most people making forms do.

If you click "View" and Show/Hide you can set which tools and bars are visible. View>Show/Hide>Toolbar Items>Select & Zoom>Hand Tool is where you'll find it.

F8 will show or hide the toolbar.

• 2. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
            atb99

I can see the tool bar when I scroll over the bottom of the page in Reader

10.1.  I can also see the tool bar by pressing F8.  However, none of the

icons on the toolbar are active and do not work.  Is this an issue with
            Adobe Reader 10.1?

• 3. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
              370H55V Level 4

If you right click the toolbar do you get a context menu?

If you don't, your installation is probably corrupted.

The only other explanation would be a completely locked PDF, but even that would allow you to navigate or zoom.

• 4. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                atb99 Level 1

Thank you so much for responding.  I helps so much just to know someone is listening

I just bought a new computer with Windows7.  Was working a great 7 year old HP with XP and my Adobe Flash crashed on Firefox and I could not restore.  So....time to upgrade.  I installed Adobe Flash and Reader on the new computer and I can open .;pdf docs and the floating toolbar is there but none of the functions work.

I can get the toolbar at the top with F8 but again nothing works.  I have right clicked and gone into properties with no help.  Also gone into compatibility and changed it from XP to 2003 as there was no 2007 selection and goofed it all up.

I just uninstalled Reader and on the installation it asked about opening in protected mode and I check to always open in unprotected mode.  The only ,pdf I open are from the government.  Now I see the toolbar functons work.  The save function is crucial to me, I run a consulting business keeping nursing homes updated on regulations for reimbursement and survery among other things.  If I cannot save .golv docs I have no business

Donwside:  It also installed McAfee--I have norton.  OH Well you can't win thenm all

DELORES L. GALIAS, RN RHIT

[Automated email footer removed by moderator]

• 5. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                  370H55V Level 4

Glad it's working. But... McAfee+Norton = trouble. Get rid of the McAfee.

• 6. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                    atb99 Level 1

Yes, I uninstalled it.  I used McAfee for 30 years but now HP has Norton and it is fine.  I have never had a computer virus as I am very careful and not on any of the social networks, way too busy for that. 

I purchased Adobe X Pro as it will help when I send documents to clilents.  Question for you:  May I keep in touch with you when I have computer questions beyond my experience?  I would be happy to pay you for your timje.

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify D. Galias, RN, RHIT immediately at Delores234@att.net and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

TO BE REMOVED FROM MY MAIL LIST SEND A BLANK E-MAIL TO Delores234@att.net  WITH THE WORD 'REMOVE' IN THE SUBJECT LINE.

• 7. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                      Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Delores, do you really don't mind posting in a public forum such as this all the personal information appearing at the foot of your last message? I am responding to your previous message so that you can modify your last one if you wish...

• 8. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                        370H55V Level 4

You can always hit me up here.

• 9. Re: Don't see the hand tool at all (dont see the 'tool' bar)
                          atb99 Level 1

Thanks, I am not familiar with this forum.  I did read that it was posted on the forum so I will be careful.  I appreciate the caution

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY:

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee and may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, notify D. Galias, RN, RHIT immediately at Delores234@att.net and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments. Thank you for your cooperation

TO BE REMOVED FROM MY MAIL LIST SEND A BLANK E-MAIL TO Delores234@att.net  WITH THE WORD 'REMOVE' IN THE SUBJECT LINE.