10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2011 2:53 PM by the_wine_snob

AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5

wilder2002mtw

Does CS5.5 fix the MADDENING CS5 EXPORT OF WAV AUDIO  AND VIDEO SEPARATELY when you're trying to create HDV FILES 16x9 1080i 29.97 for the web  and have checked/rechecked A/V setings?

How about the CH 1 & 2 LOCK OUT  PROBLEMS for moving tracks to CH1 & 2? How about the  undesirable/uncommanded creation of new tracks when you lock out all  others and try to cut and paste to CH 1 & 2? I've hit road blocks and need some answers... Thank you!

• 1. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For the first, it sounds like you are not setting your Export to the correct Multiplex setting. What have you chosen on the Multiplexer Tab?

For the second, I think that you are just unfamiliar with how PrPro handles channel-counts in Audio. Take a look at this ARTICLE, and especailly Todd's tutorial, linked at the end.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to agree with Bill on this one.  Both issues sound like operator error to me.

• 3. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
              wilder2002mtw Level 1

Thank you so much Bill! In the mean time, I was able to get a pretty fair F4V 29.97 file created at 16x9 1080i but it did scramble a region of audio edits at the tail of the video. I only used the basic export functions down converting from R3d 4K at 29.97. I was only ever able to drag audio to Channel 5. Will research more with those links, reread and try again!

Certainly you are correct that going back to figuring out my audio formatting problem (which started mono but became a stereo edit at the tail) will make a difference and thanks again for the links. I will certainly want to try again because my main complaint/question was that I was getting both a WAV audio export and 1080i video file without audio when compressing to H264 Blu-ray 16x9 1080i 29.97.Should I try a different Format for the down convert too?

I'm wondering if this audio video track separation is possibly supposed to happen in a H264 Blu-ray down convert since this file format is generally headed for DVD? I was simply trying to create the highest quality 29.97 HDTV video down convert possible from a 4K R3d 29.97 edit to upload online for a friend's sale's blog and You Tube account. Video looked really amazing in person and on You Tube but yikes, MOS! Thanks again for your answers and input.

Best,

M.T. Workman

• 4. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Multiplexing (combining of both the Video & Audio Streams), there are two places to address that.

First, in the General Tab (think it's under general in most common Export formats,except maybe FLV, IIRC), there will be a checkbox for Export Audio and Export Video. That gets the ball rolling, so to speak. However, and this is an important step, you need to go to the Multiplexer Tab, and choose anything except "None." The option is usually "DVD." This is the step that is often missed, and though the Multiplexer is a sticky, holding the previous setting, the default is None. This is often used to feed separate Aduio stream files, and separate Video stream files to Encore, or another authoring program. As many have issues with muxed files, especially muxed MPEG files, I recommend that method when authoring - separate files, and not muxed. In your case, you DO want muxing.

Good luck, and hope that helps.

Hunt

PS - when you read the article on channel-count, and see the little icons, it will make perfect sense to you. Also, do not feel bad, as it's one of the most common questions on the various Premiere forums - hence the article.

• 5. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> PS - when you read the article on channel-count, and see the little icons, it will make perfect sense to you. Also, do not feel bad, as it's one of the most common questions on the various Premiere forums - hence the article.

Yep. There's a reason that I recorded this in the Premiere Pro FAQ series.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

And, because you did such a good job, that's why I added your tutorial link to that article.

Thanks for the tutorial, and all the work that you do around here.

Hunt

• 7. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                      wilder2002mtw Level 1

Thanks again Bill! Changing the multiplexer tab "sticky" default was actually the correct answer that did fix my major problem/issue and allowed me to get a blue ray file successfully converted ("muxed") with both audio and video. Unfortunately You Tube still managed not to give me a proper audio upload even though the blue ray plays back perfectly on my super computer. So there it stays for now!

Thank you Todd as well, because in re-reading text and viewing your video I discovered I did make an error in describing technically what was happening to me. I realized the single track I had been provided (but did not produce myself) was one track of a stereo mix (not a mono track) which I had managed to over look, moving quickly ahead to editing. So in fact, I had dragged one track of a stereo mix which Premiere Pro only allowed me to bring to track five. I had then edited a portion of that stereo mix to track six, copying a part of a bass track to lengthen the song Pennies from Heaven. Certainly this is what caused the scrambling when converted to WAV.

What was most interesting to me though was as I did the right click and then deleted empty tracks (as instructed in Todd's video) I double checked the "paired" track 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 speaker icons. All four tracks had the mono speaker icon which still puzzles me. Is the system simply programmed to expect stereo mastered in track pairs? It kind of takes me back to college lectures where I remember being surprised to learn you could make one track stereo masters...

I realized this question is simply academic and actually at this point most everyone interested in the project is satisfied with the flash file I made although the blue ray is far superior in details and colors but it would be interesting to know as I continue to shift over from FCP. Here's the link to the flash down convert if you care to take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pki_1mvd9WQ&feature=share

Best,

M. Workman

• 8. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

So glad to hear that it was the Multiplexing setting.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                          wilder2002mtw Level 1

Even better Bill, after viewing more of Todd's videos you linked me into, I learned You Tube (and CS5) now has their own high end HD 1080i Widescreen H264 which I compressed the project to and uploaded this morning. Unlike my blue ray file, this one uploaded very well with both picture and audio and gave me the best results yet.

Readers should know this is not only the best way to go for great looking HD You Tube Video but for then subsequently linking to their blogs. It just beats the heck out of attempting to upload directly to a blog where the file capacity for quality play back is much more limited. This is how my friend will be applying it to her best advantage!

Best,

M. Workman

• 10. Re: AUDIO QUESTIONS ON PP CS5 - CS5.5
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

More good news.

Thanks for sharing it, and good luck,

Hunt