1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 8:42 PM by CtDave

Navigate to next paragraph while using Read out loud

Falinn

Hi all,

I'm trying to use the new read out loud and feature. Everything works great but i do have one small question.

I've opened a file, enabled read out loud and started read out loud. The current paragraph is surrounded by a square and read out loud. When it finishes readiing this paragraph, the read out loud stops reading. If i push the down arrow key till i get to the next paragraph it continues reading the next paragraph.

This is really nice but i was wondering if there is some sort of keyboard combination that will move the cursor to the next paragraph without having to press the down arrow untill the cursor moves to the next paragraph?

BBasically what i'm asking is: Is there a shortcut key for moving to the next paragraph?

If there is no such built in keyboard, is there a way to create such a custom shortcut?

Thanks,

Falinn

• 1. Re: Navigate to next paragraph while using Read out loud
          CtDave Level 5

The Read Out Loud options are:

Shift+Ctrl+Y — for on/off

Shift+Ctrl+V — to read the current page

Shift+Ctrl+B — to read to end of document

Shift+Ctrl+C — to pause

Shift+Ctrl+E — to stop

Also, with the Select Tool in use, you can select text strings.

The rectangle that bounds the select text string correlates the the container (in the structure tree of the tagged PDF) that holds the related text string on the PDF page. Often a given line will have several of the rectangles rather than one. This is related to the use of Grouping elements within the structure tree.

No other "nav" mechanisms.

Remember, ROL, will really rather handy, is a fairly basic text to speech feature and not full-fledged AT.

While basic in nature ROL can be pretty serviceable (within its limitations) if the PDF is a well-formed Tagged PDF.

To create something? Maybe, with c/c+ you could whip up a plug-in. Something a PDF developer could tell you.

Won't bother?  AT applications already provide what you've expressed an interest in.

Perhaps NVDA would be worth a try for a first "fitting". It is capable and free.

If not to you liking try another AT app such as JAWS.

Be well...