3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 2:41 PM by Rick Gerard

Best Film Format for Rotoscoping?

spiderweb88

I've been going crazy trying to figure out why rotoscoping was not working for me and dropping the information almost from frame to frame.  After I wasted a lot of time I learnt that the file I was using m2t was not set for this task, as well as many other popular compressed files.  So, I wonder what is the best format I must change it to using Media Encoder so I can then use the file in AE for rotoscoping. 

• 1. Re: Best Film Format for Rotoscoping?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing you should always do to any highly compressed footage before you start processing it is to transcode the footage to a lossless or nearly lossless format. Moving up to 10 bit color will also help. Adobe Media encoder will go a good job at this. For DSLR footage there's Magic Bullet Grinder. I'm on a Mac mostly so I'm usually going to Pro Rez.For heavy effects work I also transcode P2 and XDCam footage.

This will give you a better chance at having things like Roto Brush work well.

If your camera has HDMI output and it will actually deliver a true HDMI full frame output you can capture directly to production formats using an external recorder. They start at about $350 and go up from there.

• 2. Re: Best Film Format for Rotoscoping?
            spiderweb88 Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for your prompt answer!

I got M2t files already on my computer with Windows 7 and CS5.5. So, can you be explicit on the type of file I need to convert my M2t to?

• 3. Re: Best Film Format for Rotoscoping?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It depends on which codecs you have installed on your computer. You can also download Black Magic's 10 bit codec for free. Please take a look at the rendering and output section of the help files. You'll learn more about the whole world of rendering and output.