3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2011 8:52 PM by Harm Millaard

Media Cache and Pagefile Questions

alexdejesus Level 1

In Premiere Pro's Media Prefs, there is a checkbox to save cache files "next to originals when possible." What does that mean, and is that what I should do? I was thinking of putting them on the same drive as previews.

And is it okay to leave the cache database in default location (App Data~Common) folder on system drive?

With 16 Gigs RAM, is pagefile still a concern? Is there still a need to move it from C to another drive?

MY CURRENT DRIVE SETUP:

INTERNAL -

1 TB SATA II for OS, Programs, Projects

1 TB SATA III for Capture Footage, Audio

1 TB SATA III for Previews, Media Cache

2 x 1.5 SATA II (my older drives) Not sure what to do with. Was thinking for Backups, Exports, Finished Projects.

EXTERNAL -

2 TB G RAID external eSATA

2 TB NAS Drive for Exports

1 TB eSATA Buffalo Drive (older)

• 1. Re: Media Cache and Pagefile Questions
          Harm Millaard Level 7

1 TB SATA II for OS, Programs, xxx Projects xxx stirke-trhu does not work with Jive.

1 TB SATA III for Capture Footage, Audio, Projects

1 TB SATA III for Previews, Media Cache, Pagefile

2 x 1.5 SATA II (my older drives) Not sure what to do with. Was thinking for Backups, Exports, Finished Projects. Looks good. Consider raiding them and using them for capture footage and audio.

EXTERNAL -

2 TB G RAID external eSATA, for extra media

2 TB NAS Drive for Exports, for backups

1 TB eSATA Buffalo Drive (older) for downloads and miscellaneous.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Media Cache and Pagefile Questions
            alexdejesus Level 1

Pagefile is now moved to another drive. Is there a need to keep a minimal pagefile on the C drive? I got a warning.

There is also the "Media Cache Database." Should that be kept together with Media Cache Files or are they okay in default C Drive?

In RAM setting - out of 16 GB, how much should be left for other apps? Default is 5 GB.

Message was edited by: percoplus

Message was edited by: percoplus

• 3. Re: Media Cache and Pagefile Questions
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Keep media cache and the media cache database together on the same drive. The pagefile should be static (min. size = max. size) and around 8 to 16 GB in size. The pagefile on the C: drive should be deleted. Something like this:

26-6-2011 5-48-08.png

5GB seems pretty much, unless you often have multiple non-Adobe programs open. You can try to reduce that to 4 GB or even 3 GB..

1 person found this helpful