7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 8:44 PM by kglad

motion presets

wtsherman Level 1

I created a motion preset of a 3D text animation that made the text swing back and forth like a gate with the hinge on the far left side.  However, when I apply the motion preset to other text, the text moves to a new location and the text swings closer to the center than the far left side.  Moving the text only creates a travel path that further complicates matters.

What am I doing wrong with the motion preset?  How can I save something into a preset and apply it to other things and have the animation work the way it was designed? 

Help would greatly reduce my stress and frustration.   

• 1. Re: motion presets
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

your motion preset is relative to the registration point of object to which it's applied.  so, the same tween applied to objects with different reg points will appear to be different tweens.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: motion presets
            wtsherman Level 1

Thank you for replying.  Does that mean to apply a motion preset to an object, that object must be in the same place as the object used to create the motion preset originally?

• 3. Re: motion presets

no.

do you know what a registration point is?  if not, google it.  two or three pictures will show you.

all object transformations in flash are relative to the object's registration point.  experiment in flash using rotation, scaleX, scaleY to see the significantly different effects those transforms have on an object with a reg point that you vary.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: motion presets
                wtsherman Level 1

Thank you for the advice.  By moving the registration point, I can get the text to come close to performing the way I want it to.  However, in my mind, if I create a motion preset, then whatever I apply it to should perform exactly the same way without having to make adjustments.  On the other hand, maybe I'm just ignorant.

I thank you for your time.  Best wishes.

• 5. Re: motion presets

you're welcome.

• 6. Re: motion presets
                    wtsherman Level 1

Sorry to bother you again, but I just looked at your website.  I am impressed.  Perhaps you can steer me in the right direction.

I am a big fan of the Yahoo! Who Knew? series.  I want to create something like that for my own classroom website.  I have been playing around with Flash for about a year.  Obviously I have many issues to work on.  So, the heart of the matter: (1) can you recommend any books/websites/sources to help in learning Flash and (2) is Action Script 3.0 worth learning or is it a language with a limited future?  No doubt understanding Action Script helps in creating Flash animation.

Thank you for your time.

• 7. Re: motion presets

i'd recommend the o'reilly books.  there are quite a few and (disclaimer:  i'm a technical reviewer for their flash:  the missing manual) i've read several.

however, i learned actionscript via the adobe (well, back when i started macromedia) forums and experimenting.  but i've read some of their java and ajax books, too.

actionscript 3 has a limited future.  but then so does everything else.  actionscript 3 will probably evolve into something else in 5 to 10 years.

but learning actionscript 3 won't be a waste.  learning object-oriented programming (like as3) is not likely to go out of style in the next 10 years.  so, what you learn with as3 oop, you can leverage with the next language you want to learn.

and right now, the big benefit of actionscript over everything else is that it's browser independent. nothing else even comes close to browser independence.

<rant>when i do an ajax or html5 project, i'm aggrevated that i have to do everything, at least, twice because different browsers interpret javascript/html5 differently.  that (plus everyone has the flash plug-in), is a huge benefit that flash has over all other browser/plug-in interpreted programming languages.

the latest craze is html5 which is really a joke.  it's like working with flash from 10 years ago it's so primitive.  and you still need to use flash as backup because not all browsers can parse html5 to do the one thing it's supposed to be really good at doing:  playing video.</rant>