6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2011 2:18 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Premiere Pro CS5 unstable on (two) Macs - Help!

ExactImage Level 3

We've had Premiere Pro CS5 for a while and have tried using it a lot over the months.  The problem is it's not very stable on either of out Macs so we keep going back to FCP7 for major projects.

Given Apple's recent discontinuation of support for pro video apps issues (I can't wait for FCPX to mature) and the massive transcoding delays we're currently facing in order to use FCP7 I'd really like to get Premiere Pro CS5 (5.0.3) to a place where we can use it day-in-day-out and be able to rely on it.   I can accept that software occasionally crashes - but that's not where we're at.  It crashes 10 times a day!  

System 1:

Mac Pro - 8 core 16GB Ram, 4xSATA HDDs (1 boot 3xRAID), ATI 5770, 30" main monitor, 23" second monitor

Software installed includes Production Premium (5.0.3), Final Cut Studio (FCP7, Motion 4 etc), Lightroom 3, Aperture 3]

Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (fully updated)

System 2:

iMac 27" i7 Quad, 12GB Ram, 1 SATA drive, external Firewire Drives, ATI 5770, 24" second monitor.

Software installed includes Production Premium (5.0.3), Final Cut Studio (FCP7, Motion 4 etc)

Snow Leopard 10.6.7 (fully updated)

Just some simple stuff....

If I ever touch the handle to move a window while playing - it crashes.

Multicam crashes.

Moving clips on the sequence - sometimes crashes

Right clip and remove filters - crashes most of the time

Using the Colorista II plugin - if PPro tries to auto save a project while using the plugin - it crashes

These are just a few examples.   It crashes a LOT.

So, are there any known incompatibilities between software installations?  The iMac was a clean install not that long back.

Are there any known compatibility issues with these sets of hardware?  If so, what?  How do I fix them?

PPro also crashed when I had the older ATI card in the Mac Pro.

HELP!