5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 11:12 PM by PV3981

After burning view on tv is not the same as in project panel

PV3981

I captured a old black and white VHS recording, taped from television, in adobe cs5. It looked good in the project.

I send it to encore and burned the project to a DVD. When I looked at the DVD on television the black is ok but the white became very shiny.

It is hard to see faces, they became almost white. In the project view panel the colors are ok.

So is there a filter in Adobe that i can use or has it something to do with the settings?

I captured in DV pal 720/576 (1,067) 25 fps.

Thanks in advance!

Monique

• 1. Re: After burning view on tv is not the same as in project panel
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Since capturing is only a digital transfer of data, that is irrelevant. Nothing you can do about that. Your export settings OTOH are relevant and keep in mind that the program monitor is not suitable for judging quality, let alone the project panel, where you can't judge quality at all.

• 2. Re: After burning view on tv is not the same as in project panel
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>captured a old black and white VHS recording

How did you digitize that analog tape?

What file codec did you digitize TO?

• 4. Re: After burning view on tv is not the same as in project panel
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Monique,

The answer to John T's question will possibly leas us to a way to improve things.

Harm's comment on the Program Monitor on you computer's screen points to part of the issue - you are judging the gamma of the Video on a device that is not the ultimate, though it can be useful, if one takes the limitations into consideration. The better method of judging all aspects of quality, would be to feed the signal to a calibrated TV, rather than the computer's monitor. However, this is something that is done in a professional editing suite. Though not involved, there are some hookup details that must be considered, and then buying a proper TV and calibrating it, is a bit involved.

Once we know the exact workflow used to digitize and acquire the VHS material, there are probably a few recs., that will help you get better quality.

Then, if you only have the Program Monitor to judge quality by, there are some tips that others can offer, and possibly a few Effects in PrPro, that will allow you to improve things.

The more detail that you can provide, the easier it will be for someone to point you in the right direction.

You might also want to look over this ARTICLE on digitizing analog source material.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: After burning view on tv is not the same as in project panel
                PV3981 Level 1

Thanks a lot. I made some adjustments on my tv and problem was solved!!!

Monique.

2011/6/26 Bill Hunt <forums@adobe.com>

Monique,

>

The answer to John T's question will possibly leas us to a way to improve

things.

>

Harm's comment on the Program Monitor on you computer's screen points to

part of the issue - you are judging the gamma of the Video on a device that

is not the ultimate, though it can be useful, if one takes the limitations

into consideration. The better method of judging all aspects of quality,

would be to feed the signal to a calibrated TV, rather than the computer's

monitor. However, this is something that is done in a professional editing

suite. Though not involved, there are some hookup details that must be

considered, and then buying a proper TV and calibrating it, is a bit

involved.

>

Once we know the exact workflow used to digitize and acquire the VHS

material, there are probably a few recs., that will help you get better

quality.

>

Then, if you only have the Program Monitor to judge quality by, there are

some tips that others can offer, and possibly a few Effects in PrPro, that

will allow you to improve things.

>

The more detail that you can provide, the easier it will be for someone to

point you in the right direction.

>

You might also want to look over this *

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/615047?tstart=0* on digitizing analog

source material.

>

Good luck,

>

Hunt

>