12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2011 6:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Break out to Mono question

Pijetro Level 1

Hey all..

I've got a wierd one here...

When i break out a clip to mono, there's two extra .wav files that get created.

When i put these two wave files on the timeline, they are abutted one against the other, rather than dropped down on separate mono tracks.

I stumbled, by accident, that if i drop the original .AVI, which had the mono option applied, then everything's fine..Audio gets placed on two separate mono tracks.

Alright. Everything works backwards. I can live with that.

I get two extra .wav files in the source bin, and the original .AVI can now have 2 mono clips.

But what i don't understand, is why do both mono files on the timeline each play in stereo??

Shouldn't a mono file only play out through one speaker?

Just to give you a head's up, i'm using a Matrox RT.x2 card, and it saves a separate .wav file upon capture...

Thanks...

• 1. Re: Break out to Mono question
          Stanley Arthur Level 3

A mono file will play out of both speakers, just like a mono LP record would play out of both speakers on your home stereo. Use the pan control on the mixer channel to send it left or right. BTW, here's a little video tutorial I made that you might enjoy: http://youtu.be/g4sJnbCrd74

• 2. Re: Break out to Mono question
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When i break out a clip to mono, there's two extra .wav files that get created.

When i put these two wave files on the timeline, they are abutted one against the other, rather than dropped down on separate mono tracks.

Are these actually discrete, separate files on the same Audio Track, or is it a single file w/ 2 mono streams in it?

Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline with the Audio Tracks and the file(s) showing clearly?

Good luck, and thanks,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Break out to Mono question
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Deleted.

• 4. Re: Break out to Mono question
                Pijetro Level 1

Audio 1.jpg

Audio2.jpg

Audio3.jpg

I videotaped on two separate channels on my XHA1...Channel 1 and 2. Ambient and soundboard direct. You can see by the waveform, after "breakout to mono".

So, again, yes, when i mute any of the audios, they come through as stereo on my speakers. I just find it odd.

And what's even more wierd...

All my .AVI's are now breaking out to mono?

I've created a monster

What i don't understand then, is what purpose does this serve, if i can do it all within the stereo track??

• 5. Re: Break out to Mono question
                  Pijetro Level 1

Audio4.jpg

Audio5.jpg

Here's the original stereo file...

• 6. Re: Break out to Mono question
                    Stanley Arthur Level 3

I apologize. I'm just unclear on what it is you're trying to do.

• 7. Re: Break out to Mono question
                      Pijetro Level 1

You have nothing to apologize...

In fact, i'm the one looking like the clown..

I just realized that i was inadvertently assigned tracks 4 and 5, and was forcing the audio into a mono situation..This is sort of untreaded waters for me..

I'm a bit confused, and will try and sort it all out...

Thanks for you patience.

• 8. Re: Break out to Mono question
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted.

For complete details on Audio Tracks and channel-count, see this ARTICLE. There is a very good video, linked at the end.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Break out to Mono question
                          Pijetro Level 1

Actually, i've sort of got it sorted out...

I stumbled upon more questions, rather than answering my first one..

Why is it, when i break out to mono, playback a mono clip, does the output play in stereo? Is this just the way it works in the world of audio engineering??

Bill wrote:

Are these actually discrete, separate files on the same Audio Track, or is it a single file w/ 2 mono streams in it?

What is the difference?

• 10. Re: Break out to Mono question
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If you start with stereo (2-channels in one file), and break out to mono (2 x 1-channel files), to hear the mono, you will need to Mute one of those 2 mono Clips.  This can be done by clicking on the "speaker" in the Audio Track Header, or via checking Mute in the Audio Mixer.

Now would probably be a good time to explore the Audio Mixer, as it will show a lot, and offer you a lot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Break out to Mono question
                              Pijetro Level 1

Yes, there's the rub...

As you can see in my snapshots, i've got two separate mono files..

Even if i mute the one track, the other one plays back in stereo....

And within the effects pallete, there isn't any channel mixing or panning since it's obviously a mono track.

Of course, using the audio mixer (as mentioned earlier), i can pan left or right, and get the desired results, but only within a stereo track...

I'll search around some more...

• 12. Re: Break out to Mono question
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you sure that it is stereo, and not the same exact signal spread over both channels?

Stereo will be two, slightly different streams, and depending on the recording technique, should sound different left to right.

Look at your two Clips closely. Are they the exact same? If from a stereo source, there should be some differences.

To check them, pan the left-channel mono fully left, and pan the right-channel fully right. Do you now hear stereo again?

Good luck,

Hunt