10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 3:31 PM by 370H55V

How to download pdf files?

Jean Mandler

I have Windows 7 and Adobe Reader X. When I try to download files from the internet I am told my browser doesn't support it. I never had this problem with Windows XP. What is wrong?

• 1. Re: How to download pdf files?
          370H55V Level 4

Which browser are you using? and...

Do you mean "download" or open? Any browser supports downloading, you simply right click and choose "save link as".

If the browser isn't opening a PDF it may be a problem with the Reader plug-in or file settings, but we need to know the browser to tell you how to fix it.

• 2. Re: How to download pdf files?
            Jean Mandler Level 1

Hi Expatriated Mac User (at this point I am relying on my macair     laptop for downloading),

Dell Vostro Windows 7, Browser: Internet Explorer. I regularly     download articles from a university where I have     VPN permission. Now that I have a new Microsoft computer with Windows 7     when I try to download I get a dialog box saying:"     Cannot use Adobe Reader to view PDF in your web browser."  When I     try to do so anyway, a blank circle appears over the download     button.

Thanks for any help you can give  on this horrible machine (where I     can't even get a print size large enough to read permanently fixed,     but have to do control x
            for every new page),

Frustrated windows 7 user

PS. I first replied to your message by using my reply email function but was told your address was no good.

• 3. Re: How to download pdf files?
              370H55V Level 4

"I first replied to your message by using my reply email function but was told your address was no good."

My hotmail is set to block Adobe messages, or I'd get hundreds a week.

Do you have Firefox on your Dell?

I know a lot of University VPNs require IE, but I was able to get into University of Phoenix using Firefox. Since Firefox is now (just barely) the most popular browser, a lot of organizations are changing protocols to accomodate it.

• 4. Re: How to download pdf files?
                Jean Mandler Level 1

I can use either Firefox or Internet explorer on VPN. But you haven't told me why, for the first time in my life, I cannot use Adobe on Windows.  You said if you knew what my browser was, you would have suggestions. What are they?

Thanx

• 5. Re: How to download pdf files?
                  370H55V Level 4

If you go to Tools>Manage add ons, you should see an entry (or more) under Toolbars and Extensions, for Adobe Systems, Incorporated and there's one for Adobe PDF. It should be enabled. (surprisingly mine wasn't, but PDFs are still working). Make sure it's enabled as well as any other PDF add ons.

• 6. Re: How to download pdf files?
                    Jean Mandler Level 1

I have Adobe Reader X. I could not find any Tools menu, so could not follow your advice. All I could find was (under preferences) that the box requiring to be checked "to display PDF in browser" was whited out. Can it be that Adobe is no longer free and requires money to be used? I tried to download Reader 9.4 (or maybe it was 9.5) to see if Reader X is the problem, and halfway through the download, it said: You have a more powerful Adobe.  and refused to go further! I smell money. Am I wrong?

In any case, please tell me how to proceed. I am still unable to download articles from my university digital library that I have always done, and could do  last year on this Windows 7 computer in England, but no longer.

• 7. Re: How to download pdf files?
                      ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jean Mandler wrote:

Can it be that Adobe is no longer free and requires money to be used? I tried to download Reader 9.4 (or maybe it was 9.5) to see if Reader X is the problem, and halfway through the download, it said: You have a more powerful Adobe.  and refused to go further! I smell money. Am I wrong?

I'm not sure what's up with the issues you are experiencing (sorry) but at least in this case yes, you are incorrect. Reader is an always will be a free product. If it weren't, the PDF format would eventually fail.

• 8. Re: How to download pdf files?
                        370H55V Level 4

Jean Mandler wrote:

I have Adobe Reader X. I could not find any Tools menu, so could not follow your advice. All I could find was (under preferences) that the box requiring to be checked "to display PDF in browser" was whited out. Can it be that Adobe is no longer free and requires money to be used? I tried to download Reader 9.4 (or maybe it was 9.5) to see if Reader X is the problem, and halfway through the download, it said: You have a more powerful Adobe.  and refused to go further! I smell money. Am I wrong?

In any case, please tell me how to proceed. I am still unable to download articles from my university digital library that I have always done, and could do  last year on this Windows 7 computer in England, but no longer.

"Tools" is not in Adobe Reader. It's in IE. Since it is IMPOSSIBLE to download anything through Reader (hint: it ISN'T a browser) you won't find download preferences anywhere in it.

If the PDF add on isn't enabled in IE, the "Display PDF in Browser" option will not be available in Reader. So you have to go back to what I last posted and make sure it is enabled in IE first.

As was previously stated Reader is and will always be free... Unless of course Microsoft buys Adobe out. Then, like everything else they (Microsoft) do, you'll pay for it one way or another.

• 9. Re: How to download pdf files?
                          Jean Mandler Level 1

Nothing you said helped. I enabled all add-ons I could find.I discovered that I could use the save-as option in Reader X  to download PDF files, but theywent into my Acrobat Professional  and only there. So when I downloaded an article into the Article folder I usually use, it went into an Article folder in Acrobat that is completely separate from the ordinary Article folder, and only there, so was not listed among all the other articles in the regular Article folder. This was not only weird but unacceptable. I now had two separate Article folders with no overlap! It seemed pretty obvious to me that the problem was an inconpatibility with Professional Acrobat (my version is about 4 years old) and Reader X. So I deleted Professional Acrobat, and the problem was solved. I can now download pdf files from the internet without trouble. I must say I blame Adobe for this. I no longer have Professional Acrobat because the latest Adobe Reader is incompatible with it. I am sure Adobe will be happy to sell me a new Professional Acrobat.

So my question was finally answered, but not by this forum.

Bye

• 10. Re: How to download pdf files?
                            370H55V Level 4

It's possible that the (older) Acrobat was the default for opening PDFs and that's why the files were going there.

Anyway, I'm glad you were able to work this out.