9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 10:11 AM by Bill Gehrke

Trying to get started

DSH33

PROCESSORSIntel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
      OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
      MEMORY12GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
      HARD DRIVE2TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 64MB Cache
      VIDEO CARD

ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5

MONITORDell IN2030M 20-inch HD Monitor with LED
      SECONDARY MONITORDell IN2020M 20" HD Widescreen Monitor with LED

I'm thinking of getting a Dell XPS 8300. Will this system allow me to run the Adobe CS 5.5 Production Premium programs smoothly?

I'm new to video editing and am looking to get into it more seriously. If this doesn't work what else would I need? I only have a history with Dells, are there better computers out there for editing?

• 1. Re: Trying to get started
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What footage do you plan on editing?

Can you get at least one more HDD - 2 is the minimum, with 3 total being better. I am talking physical HDD's, and no partitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Trying to get started
            the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to look over the PrPro Benchmark database for similar computers, to see where it falls in the benchmarking, HERE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Trying to get started
              DSH33 Level 1

Dell only offers 2. Is 2 not enough? and I will be editing footage I bring home from work on an external hard drive.

• 4. Re: Trying to get started
                DSH33 Level 1

I'm basically just trying to learn all the programs. I don't have a camera or anything. I'm just trying to get to where I can get the programs and learn them so I can get a better job. I just want a not too expensive system that can run the programs smoothly enough for me to learn on them.

• 5. Re: Trying to get started
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, depending on the connection of the external, then 2 internals should be fine. For using externals in editing, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck, and happy learning,

Hunt

PS - Todd Kopriva's TUTORIALS.

• 6. Re: Trying to get started
                    RjL190365 Level 4

In addition to what Bill Hunt stated above:

Skip the Radeon and get a GeForce card instead (preferably a GTX 550 Ti or higher). All ATi/AMD cards are not currently supported in CS5.5's GPU accelerated mode (or put it this way, the Radeons will force the much slower, lower-quality software-only mode that can be as much as 10 times slower than what a typical GPU-accelerated mode can do).

And while 12GB (via 2x4GB and 2x2GB modules) is workable on that Sandy Bridge build, 16GB (4x4GB) would be better.

• 7. Re: Trying to get started
                      DSH33 Level 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. So if I switch out cards would that make a

pretty good system?

• 8. Re: Trying to get started
                        SWR913

I've been reading this forum, and like you, trying to come up with the best system without breaking the bank.  Mine will be strictly for hobby use.  From all of my research, it looks like you are on the right track, but you may want to check out the Tech Specs section on Premiere Pro 5.5.  Go to the bottom and look at the supported video cards.  There are simple "hacks" that allow the use of other Nvidia cards not listed, just search around, but you definitely want to stick with Nvidia.    The system you have listed is very similar to what I have come up with.  I'm still a little unsure of the exact motherboard I want to use, and if anyone would like to chime in, I would welcome the input.

There is a lot of good informaiton on here, just keep reading.

• 9. Re: Trying to get started
                          Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

If you are sure you need that specific Dell computer (it is not overclockable, terribly expensive to expand at Dell's prices and may even be limited in expansion internally) then get it with the minimum RAM that they offer as their add-on price for 16 GB is $500 and just the standard single 1 TB disk drive

Just plan in throwing away the 4 GB that comes with it.  Newegg currently sells 16 GB sets of 4 DIMM modules of DDR3-1333 for this system for less than $200.  If you are afraid to do it yourself and have a local small PC repair store handy it probably would not charge $500 to bring it up to full memory for you.

Also this mother board has a total of 4 SATA internal interfaces and one external eSATA interface so you or the repair shop can easily and one or possibly two more internal disk drives.

It does have an integrated ATI GPU and an available x16 PCIe slot where you can install a good nVidia card like a current Best Bang for the Buck GTX 560 Ti card which is far superior to the offered GT 420 or GT 530 that they are offering.  They say that you can can install the 225 watt ATI HD 5870 card so there is power available for the 170 watt GTX 560 Ti.