10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 6:03 AM by MangaGal

Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?

MangaGal

Hi guys

I'm looking for advice on how to export an RTF from InDesign that would export Tagged structure and CSS. We've got a client who wants an RTF exported from an InDesign file, that already has tagged structure set up. I'm not familiar with the RTF part. Any ideas if it's a script or a way to do it?

Any info will be very helpful.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

You mention no less than three separate techniques in one single sentence.

RTF is a "rich text format" and describes only text formatting.

"Tagged" stuff is (afaik) an XML structure, which describes only structural formatting. XML and RTF do not usually work together.

CSS describes HTML/ePub formatting. CSS and RTF do not work together and have nothing in common. XML and CSS only minimally work together, in certain narrowly-defined workflows.

So this

MangaGal1981 wrote:

I'm looking for advice on how to export an RTF from InDesign that would export Tagged structure and CSS.

"means" nothing.

Fortunately, the RTF part is very easy, and it's surprising you couldn't locate it in the online help! Typing "RTF" in the search box yields "importing text" as first hit, and "Adobe InDesign CS5 & CS5.5 * Export text" is the second.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
            MangaGal Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

[Jongware] wrote:

You mention no less than three separate techniques in one single sentence.

RTF is a "rich text format" and describes only text formatting.

"Tagged" stuff is (afaik) an XML structure, which describes only structural formatting. XML and RTF do not usually work together.

CSS describes HTML/ePub formatting. CSS and RTF do not work together and have nothing in common. XML and CSS only minimally work together, in certain narrowly-defined workflows.

Yep, I understood all these.

So this

MangaGal1981 wrote:

I'm looking for advice on how to export an RTF from InDesign that would export Tagged structure and CSS.

"means" nothing.

Yep, also thought it was impossible because RTF doesn't have styles to my understanding.

"means" nothing.

Fortunately, the RTF part is very easy, and it's surprising you couldn't locate it in the online help! Typing "RTF" in the search box yields "importing text" as first hit, and "Adobe InDesign CS5 & CS5.5 * Export text" is the second.

Yep, been doing this for years.

Now, more details on why I asked.

I have been exporting RTF for clients because they reckon they need RTF for their clients so "everyone" can see the books they put on the web. Last few weeks, they had been told by their bosses that all of their PDF & RTF "must be tagged".

Now, their bosses are either idiots or they are just whankas.

To tag PDF, I can deal with.

To export the RTF "with" the tags to "match" the tagged PDF???? What the...?

I never heard of such ridiculous thing. I want to make sure I'm not on drugs so that I can tell them they are on drugs.

1st – they told me to tag the PDF with alt text, etc blah blah blah. OK, I went to learn how to make the PDF to meet accessibility.

2nd – they now tell me that they want to do the "same thing" to RTF PLUS the RTF needs "cascading style sheets". I almost laughed my head off. Are they serious? I have never heard of RTF needs a CSS. No such thing exist I thought to myself. But they are clients, so I can't tell them they are idiots.

I am 100% sure they insist that I have to do this or I won't get the projects which mind you are big bucks.

[Jongware] wrote:

CSS describes HTML/ePub formatting. XML and CSS only minimally work together, in certain narrowly-defined workflows.

I know they need the RTF for the web. So would they actually mean an XML or even an ePub? If so, would everyone be able to see the doc? Well, it will work like a webpage, wouldn't it? See. They totally confused me now.

Anyway, it'll be good if you can try to make some sense for me because I'm really frustrated with my clients right now 1) I can't tell them they are on drugs. 2) I can't tell them I can't do it.

Sigh... why me?!

• 3. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Good to hear you are as mystified as I was!

Yah, the concepts they threw into your lap really don't work together. I bet it's a case of "we've heard somewhere tagged stuff is Gut so we wantz it as well".

If they *are* planning on re-purposing your ID document for the web, you still have a few options left, i.e. "export for Digital Editions / HTML / EPub" (depends on your version).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
                MangaGal Level 1

[Jongware] wrote:

Good to hear you are as mystified as I was!

Totally!

[Jongware] wrote:

Yah, the concepts they threw into your lap really don't work together. I bet it's a case of "we've heard somewhere tagged stuff is Gut so we wantz it as well".

Highly possible.

[Jongware] wrote:

If they *are* planning on re-purposing your ID document for the web, you still have a few options left, i.e. "export for Digital Editions / HTML / EPub" (depends on your version).

After I wrote my reply, I kinda figured something out. I think they have used to wrong term. I think they want an XML with CSS. Why I would think so?

OK, in the past, the RTF I provide to them would be converted into HTML using their corporate CSS. If my suspicion is correct, they may want to save their time (from converting RTF into XML manually), they wanted me to export the XML with CSS because their IT division "may have" read about its possibility.I think so because they also added that all alt text should be included too. The "alt text" is such a web term, don't you think? In short, they rather pay a contractor to do so instead of asking someone already on their payroll to do it.

So, is it possible to export a "file" with CSS from InDesign CS4?

• 5. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Export to Epub/Digital Editions or to XHTML/Dreamweaver.

The code will likely be a real mess. For nice clean code you should upgrade to CS5.5.

Bob

• 6. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
                    MangaGal Level 1

BobLevine wrote:

Export to Epub/Digital Editions or to XHTML/Dreamweaver.

The code will likely be a real mess. For nice clean code you should upgrade to CS5.5.

Bob

Thanks for the tip, Bob. Yeah, upgrade will be nice but my company doesn't have the budget.

So, just to clarify, if I tag the InDesign with alt text, when I export to ePub/Digital Ed or XHTML, all the alt text and styles will come across? How does it work? I never worked with it before.

• 7. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?

Couldn't tell you....sorry. I didn't really start doing this until CS5 and now with CS5.5 I couldn't imagine going back to the mess that CS4 produced.

You should talk to your boss about the cost of not upgrading.

Bob

• 8. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?
                        MangaGal Level 1

BobLevine wrote:

Couldn't tell you....sorry. I didn't really start doing this until CS5 and now with CS5.5 I couldn't imagine going back to the mess that CS4 produced.

You should talk to your boss about the cost of not upgrading.

Bob

No worries.

I've tried talking to him but I understand why he can't afford to upgrade...yet. He always just ends up saying "You'll figure a way. You're good like that."

Here I am, sitting at home, thinking about work. Sigh...

• 9. Re: Tagged RTF with CSS from InDesign?

Why not download the demo and do it with both CS4 and CS5.5?

Show him the difference in quality as well the time it took to do.

Bob