5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 2:20 AM by LegitNZ

Carriage returns changed to soft returns

LegitNZ Level 1

Hi all,

I have a microsoft word document that's been written in "single spacing", or what I think is single spacing. Basically I've got it so that every Return hit, it leaves no space between the paragraphs (like a soft return).

When I imported the file into InDesign using the Place comand, all the carriage returns were twice as big as they were in Microsoft Word. Is there any way to change how much space a carriage return creates under a paragraph? Specifically I would like all my Carriage Returns to become the size of soft returns (Forced Line Break), is that possible?

I signed up to Lynda.com and I've done lots of research to find the answer by looking through forums but this is still my first week into using InDesign and I can't understand a lot of the language involved. The microsoft word document is over 3 thousand pages long and so fixing each paragraph one by one is a very last resort for me. Here's what I've tried:

1) Changing Leading throughout the entire document. This doesn't work as it ruins the paragraphs themselves, and didn't change the carriage returns much.
      2) I used the Find/Change tool to find all Carriage returns "\r" and replace them with soft returns "\n".   I was sure this was a genius move but for whatever technical reason I can't understand, it OBLITERATED the structure of my document.

So anyway, back to square one Been stuck on this for a good 7 hours now haha.

Cheers to anyone that bothers reading this, especially if you know the solution

• 1. Re: Carriage returns changed to soft returns
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Well, if you typed this Word document yourself, you have been going at it the wrong way right from the start. Compare with your post; did you insert a return at the end of each line, or did you just type on and let the forum software break the lines for you?

1) This leads to nothing. "Leading" defines the distance between lines, and does nothing special with Hard returns. The lines will still be broken as they were.

2) This leads to nother either. A hard return says: I want all of the next stuff on the next line. A soft return says the same. They only add stuff that makes individual lines justify.

You should (a) not expect InDesign to automagically fix badly typed files, and (b) replace each hard return with a single space. That ought to make your text behave slightly more natural.

• 2. Re: Carriage returns changed to soft returns
            LegitNZ Level 1

To Jongware:

Thanks for replying. I didn't type the microsoft word document myself no, and I only used hard returns at the end of each paragraph.

But basically what I want to know is this:  Is there any way I can make my hard returns take up less space? (like a soft return does)? That's all I need to know. If someone could even me that there is NO way to do that, I would also very much appreciate it so I can move on.

Also, I know I can do it manually Jongware, but I'm hoping for a quicker way. If there's no way to shorten the space taken up by a hard return then that's ok.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Carriage returns changed to soft returns

Wait -- wait -- wait.

Can you click in one of the paragraphs that take up 'too much space' and check what the Paragraph Panel says your Space Before and Space After are?

paragraph-space.PNG

• 4. Re: Carriage returns changed to soft returns
                LegitNZ Level 1

Thank you SO SO SO SO MUCH that is exactly what I was after. I love you I love you I love you I love you I love you. I can't tell you how relieved and happy I am to find that. You are truly a life saver. If you were here I'd buy you a chocolate bar and a muffin or something. Have an awesome life!!!!

Nawfal.

• 5. Re: Carriage returns changed to soft returns

Ooh you're welcome