9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 9:21 AM by John T Smith

PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

eyePH0NE Level 1

No matter how I try to start PE 9, it does not start.
      From Welcome Screen -> New Project: nothing happens. Form Elements Organizer -> File - New - Premiere Elements Video project it takes some time loading all modules, libraries and sorts of things until an error message appears saying that PE 9 does not function anymore.

That's all, no error log or something like this. Please let me know what info is needed.

PS: Why does my cursor jump to the beginning when I press enter in text editor here?

• 1. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I would recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling the program, as a start.

Also ensure that you have at least 20-30 gigs of defragmented free space on your C drive.

And, before you reinstall, run my recommended maintenance on your system. The Advanced System Care program I recommend is a free download and it fixes a number of problems with pretty much a single click. I highly recommend it.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

(Even brand-new computers often need a lot of updating and can be riddled with junk files -- so it's important to manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have all of the latest updates -- including non-critical ones --- as well as using a program like Advanced System Care to clean things up.)

• 2. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with Steve's tips, take a look at this ARTICLE. It starts with a checklist of things to do, to get PrE running, and then adds links to many other articles on computer tuneup and troubleshooting things, if the first checklist does not fix everything.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>PS: Why does my cursor jump to the beginning when I press enter in text editor here?

Go to http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments and read all the comments about forum software problems

• 4. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

John T,

Jive claims that is an undocumented "feature"

They also do not charge Adobe for those "automatic line breaks" either...

Hunt, struggling with the forums this AM

• 5. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
                  eyePH0NE Level 1

Thank you so far ;-)

Here's a summary of what I checked/did already:

- 23 GB of free, defragmented disk space on C:\
                  - deinstalled PE 9 completely (incl. deletion of settings)
                  - rebooted
                  - reinstalled PE 9 without any issues
                  - rebooted (as sugested by setup)
                  - started Adobe Premiere Elements Welcome Screen
                  - clicked on "new project"
                  - read this message: http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1921/pe9error.png, clicked OK
                  - waited another 3 or 4 minutes
                  - as mothing happened, clicked on "new projest" again
                  - as still nothing happened I clicked on "organize"
                  - in Organizer I choos file -> new -> Adobe Premiere Elements Video Project...
                  - got the same error message
                  - the start screen of PE9 stopped loading files with "Rapture32LE.dll", renamed that file to Rapture32LE.dll.BACKUP
                  - next files where PE9 stopped
                  z3ta+.dll
                  z3ta+_fx.dll
                  z3ta+_fx2.dll
                  - renemd these files, too

-> PE9 finally starts.

The concerned files are from VST Plugins installed with Cakewalk Sonar X1 Studio.

PS: The forum software is a mess...

• 6. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

23 GB of free, defragmented disk space on C:\

If not THE cause of many problems, it will certainly be one of them. The general rec. is 30 - 40GB of free space as absolute minimum, but I recommend 40 - 60GB for free, defragmented space. PrE creates large working files, just to run. The Windows Virtual Memory, if dynamically managed by the OS, can grow very large, when doing video editing - larger, if one does not have tons of RAM available (more than 4GB is useless on a 32-bit OS).

Another consideration is that as a HDD reaches ~ 70% of capacity, it will begin to perfrom more slowly. The closer one gets to capacity, the slower it will run, and the closer one gets to potential complete failure of that HDD.

For the VST's, take a look at this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

>23 GB of free, defragmented disk space on C:\

If you do not have AT LEAST two hard drives... you need to buy more drives

My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                      1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                      2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                      3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files
                      Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file
                      http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

• 8. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
                        eyePH0NE Level 1

Sooner or later I will have to expand my hard disk space, but I will not do that at the moment just for one single program.

• 9. Re: PE 9 does not start on Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing
                          You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various

parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
                          Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle...

this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
                          You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
                          A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video

editing
                          You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708?tstart=0 for more) with Windows

(or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything
                          I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on

drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in

the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit
                          Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the

type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing
                          Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208?tstart=0 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433?tstart=0 use USB externals for editing
                          A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but

eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used this eSata Dock... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual

disclaimers
                          http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t